Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 05:06 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Advertisements

Do you ever wish that the United States had an overall stronger European cultural influence than it does?

When it comes to fresh food/dining and mass transit, sure. Everything else, meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 05:10 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
The biggest things I wish we had from Europe are a good rail infrastructure, rugby, and a basic appreciation for social welfare and keeping corporate domination in check.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:22 PM

47 posts, read 65,363 times
I am not American, but I like it the way it is. We have a saying here in Australia " why fix it if it ain't broken?"

Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Snow Crystal,

First of all, don't correct someone else's grammar unless yours is impeccable (which it's not, by the way). Bad form.

Now on to the real topic at hand - I answered it once but it's been awhile so I'll expound:

I have lived in Europe and have traveled extensively throughout Europe. I enjoy VISITING Europe and in fact I go as often as possible. Every two or three years is how it generally works out.

I like it because it's DIFFERENT from the US in so many ways (though in England I didn't even feel like I was in a foreign country at all, other than that pesky driving thing). It's interesting, and being a history buff I am never bored in Europe! There's a lot I like about it - the variety of scenery, the villages, folk music and arts, museums and castles, the wide range of foods, and some of the people, for a start.

But there's also a lot that I prefer in the US - I enjoy a lower cost of living, a house and other property that I couldn't afford in most of Europe, our fabulous music history and heritage, the amazing foods from coast to coast (overall I prefer American cuisines...or maybe Asian...but I digress), the range of opportunities, the laid back atmosphere, the individualism, the unique and fascinating history, but most of all - the people. I love my southern heritage as well. Life in the southern US is my preference. It's a unique culture and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

If I want to experience Europe, I go for a visit. But I'm always glad to get back home to Texas. And I'm sure that most Europeans feel the same way about their lives as well - at least I hope so.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-29-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
I rather like the US being it's own culture, which is an amalgamation of European cultures with other cultures from around the globe. I don't see why European cultures should be represented at a greater level than they are unless you are one to consider their culture to be 'superior' to others.

The US is a melting pot. I like it that way. It makes us different from other nations that have a more homogenized culture.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:45 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
If you want to experience non-American culture, then you have to actually travel abroad.

Even the Asian and Latino communities in the States are at least somewhat Americanized.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:51 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,172 times
I'll admit to being one of those people that does have a soft spot for admiring certain attributes that are often seen as "European" in terms of culture

However, never having been to Europe, I don't want to judge only based on what I hear in the media. I personally would like some aspects of culture that do verge a bit on political issues, such as a more relaxed pace of life (like the French) rather than a more workaholic one, more liberal social attitudes (such as less prudishness about sex), better social safety net and health care and infrastructure, such as walkable cities with good public transit. However, I don't think we should knock it or admire it, just because it's associated with a different culture we like or don't like. Whether or not something is good for our society and should be implemented can be discussed on it's own merits rather than "Europe has it. I like Europe, so let's have it." or "I don't like Europe, so let's not have it because they have it".

I think it would work if we could set up or encourage certain cities or towns in the USA to be more "European-style" in set-up of urban planning or policy, so that people can choose to live a more European lifestyle if they want to, but just as an option in some places in the country.

But I think people get too hung up on the idea of if something is "foreign" than it can't be American. They think that if we gain something that another culture has, we somehow lose "American-ness". It shouldn't work that way. We can have something that we share with other countries on other continents and so can they, in return.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_mays View Post
When it comes to education, life expectancy, obesity, childhood health, infant mortality, adult literacy, high school graduation rates, democratic rating, corruption rating, putting Darwin on the currency, IQ, spousal abuse rates, murder rates, gun crime, teen pregnancy, pollution, cancer rates, hours worked a week, maternity leave, thug culture, generational possible income achievement, general quality of life and happiness, urban planning, history and culture and distinct lack of people named BillyBob who think God hates the gays...yes.

Everything else?
Also yes.
A lot of this can be found in Europe. lol.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
No, and not only that, I laugh at white europhiles like you a lot.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:37 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's not so much obsession with Europe as it is seeing things for what they are. America is great for its material wealth and popular culture. Europe is great for its high culture and society.

We can learn from one another.
Accept that plenty of people don't see what you see.

And why the hell is culture or society exclusive to Europe? East Asian, Jewish and Middle Eastern eastern civilizations are just as rich in culture if not more so.

I laugh at Europe a lot but I laugh at American europhiles more.

The funniest thing, while I observe many white Americans display slavish europhilia, a disease no doubt, in most European countries there's a high level of hatred against the US and its government and actions, so much so in every interaction I've had with Europeans when they're in another country (out of their familiar territory) and socializing with foreigners, most have expressed their hatred or derision for the US. Most. Not just 2 in 10. Or 3 in 10.

I've had so many spats in East Asia with Europeans who acted out because they couldn't control their hatred for America in public, one French guy even angrily stormed off from the conversation lol.

And you europhiles stop talking like Europe is a country. Talk about those small countries independently. Europe is not a country. lol

Last edited by sadgirl80; 12-06-2013 at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.