Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:47 AM

647 posts, read 1,210,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
People sure get surprised when they find out not everyone is obsessed with Europe as much as they are...
I love your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wish we had some of their fashion sense and social etiquette. I used to be of those people that was live and let live regarding our issues as a country. I still am but some things need to change. We have a nation of overweight people and slobs and I no longer think this is okay. We need to have some standards because they have gone too far down.
Asians are slimmer than them.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 AM

Nice. What's the city in the second pic?

Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I for one refuse to disgrace my ancestors and worship the hell they left behind.
love this

Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCrystal View Post
You try your best, don't you?......
Your reply is sad and pathetic, after you tried to correct somebody's English but that person was not incorrect. Lol. Go back to the dump you came from.

But thanksgiving isn't practiced or celebrated in the UK.

Thanksgiving came from immigrated puritans who started it as an American tradition AFTER they got to the USA. It is no different from most things distinctly recognized as parts of American culture today, all of which are adapted by Americans from all over the world AFTER they moved to America. For instance American Chinese food is a distinctly American cultural phenomena and cannot be found in China. It was started by Chinese-AMERICANS, after they came to the USA. Gettit?

Stop appropriating our culture and claim shamelessly that we copied you.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 12-06-2013 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Let's not forget that a huge chunk of American history and the US in general was formed by EX Europeans hell bent on escaping the countries of their birth. Now why was that? I just wonder? Apparently everything wasn't so hunky dory after all.

Europe in general has some very serious issues that are going to create horrific issues within their social systems within a short amount of time (we've already seen some of them happening). For instance, the EU birthrate is 1.6 children per woman. That is not even the rate of replacement rate of 2.1. For comparison, the Japanese birth rate is 1.41 and we can already see the dramatic results of such a low birth rate happening there. Heck, we can see some of the results of our own Baby Boom and subsequently lower birth rate happening (our own rate of 1.8 is not even at replacement rate but it's been above replacement rate for longer than either the EU or Japan's so our own eventually catastrophic results are a bit delayed).

Who takes care of all the old people? Who pays taxes to support all these social programs when the number of tax payers drops dramatically but the number of elderly who have ALREADY EARNED THE BENEFITS still need those benefits? If you think the US has a growing problem, you ain't seen nuthin' till you watch what's going to play out in Europe and Japan over the next forty years. It's not going to be pretty.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 AM

I don't care about their birth rate. But for that problem, they've been using immigration as a solution. Turks, Muslims from North Africa and black Africans have overrun most European countries. In fact, the Netherlands will be a majority Islamic country in about 15 years.

I just think the disease of europhilia I see many white Americans exhibit very funny. I laugh at them all the time.

You know what's really funny? It's often the same group of people who accuse Americans of other ancestries, particularly those of newer immigrant groups, of being susceptible to split loyalty, being torn between allegiance to the US and their country of origin, but it's the white Americans with europhilia (which are many) who slavishly obsess about their ancestry all the time, spend money on dubious websites looking up what rundown village they had originated from, go on pilgrimages back to what they call their "homeland". Absolutely ridiculous. I don't even see such behavior among second and third generation Asian Americans.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 12-06-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I don't care about their birth rate. But for that problem, they've been using immigration as a solution. Turks, Muslims from North Africa and black Africans have overrun most European countries. In fact, the Netherlands will be a majority Islamic country in about 15 years.

I just think the disease of europhilia I see many white Americans exhibit very funny. I laugh at them all the time.

You know what's really funny? It's often the same group of people who accuse Americans of other ancestries, particularly those of newer immigrant groups, of being susceptible to split loyalty, being torn between allegiance to the US and their country of origin, but it's the white Americans with europhilia (which are many) who slavishly obsess about their ancestry all the time, spend money on dubious websites looking up what rundown village they had originated from, go on pilgrimages back to what they call their "homeland". Absolutely ridiculous. I don't even see such behavior among second and third generation Asian Americans.
I don't see anything wrong with this. America is a very new country made up of almost entirely immigrants (what I mean is that most people who live here have an ancestor, or even a parent, who came here from elsewhere… a good portion are even immigrants themselves at this time) and while we have a culture, it's not like any cultures in Europe that I can see. We're a mixed bag here. So what if people want to see where they came from? America is not even 300 years old and European-Americans' ancestors likely came from a country more rich in history and age and they likely still have family in Europe. I know I do. Not everyone in my extended family came to America when my great-grandparents, or great-great-grandparents, did. I don't see a problem in exploring where your ancestors came from to get an idea of your ancestry at all.

I don't wish for America to be more like Europe, at all, but I see no problem with Americans exploring their European ancestry.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:58 PM

8,815 posts, read 6,141,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let's not forget that a huge chunk of American history and the US in general was formed by EX Europeans hell bent on escaping the countries of their birth. Now why was that? I just wonder? Apparently everything wasn't so hunky dory after all.

Europe in general has some very serious issues that are going to create horrific issues within their social systems within a short amount of time (we've already seen some of them happening). For instance, the EU birthrate is 1.6 children per woman. That is not even the rate of replacement rate of 2.1. For comparison, the Japanese birth rate is 1.41 and we can already see the dramatic results of such a low birth rate happening there. Heck, we can see some of the results of our own Baby Boom and subsequently lower birth rate happening (our own rate of 1.8 is not even at replacement rate but it's been above replacement rate for longer than either the EU or Japan's so our own eventually catastrophic results are a bit delayed).

Who takes care of all the old people? Who pays taxes to support all these social programs when the number of tax payers drops dramatically but the number of elderly who have ALREADY EARNED THE BENEFITS still need those benefits? If you think the US has a growing problem, you ain't seen nuthin' till you watch what's going to play out in Europe and Japan over the next forty years. It's not going to be pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Who will the American Euro-philes worship fifty years from now when Europe is all majority Muslim? Uh oh!

Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,023,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post

I do wish we had more people of Persian and Japanese ethnicity/descent out here as well as better Mexican food. Ah well, you can't have them all I suppose...It's all good.
TCave, there's a Persian restaurant in Waldorf, MD called Silver Skewers, on Old Washington Road. It's beautiful and has been in business about 20 years - try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.