Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Camden vs Monaco... classic.

Oh and take a chill pill not everyone jerks off about European cities, sorry but give me anything in America over Europe any day.
Umm... you started the whole scenario. Did you have a memory lapse at the stuff you posted just prior posting the banlieus of Paris and ranting about the mediterrannean coast was ugly? No wonder Europeans think Americans are hicks, please stay in the US and don't go there. We don't need any more americans eating at McDo waddling around champs-élysées.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 03:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Is it not true that pretty much everything in Europe is smaller than America?
Apartments, Homes, Cars, etc...
People in Europe live very frugal so its sometimes a challenge to find a nice flat with a closet, dryer, garbage disposable and/or air conditioning.
Idk how they do it but i would go insane living over there.
Personally, don't see the big deal.

I liked growing up in a big home, but looking back I can't really see what it was all for. Can't see the need for it. We didn't have garbage disposals, though, are they really that important? Ditto with cars, not really interested in big cars, either. I don't have A/C either.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Umm... you started the whole scenario. Did you have a memory lapse at the stuff you posted just prior posting the banlieus of Paris and ranting about the mediterrannean coast was ugly? No wonder Europeans think Americans are hicks, please stay in the US and don't go there. We don't need any more americans eating at McDo waddling around champs-élysées.
Sure aint good at taking criticism? lol

Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 AM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
Sure aint good at taking criticism? lol
Lol, the irony. I've seen many of your posts, and it seems that you can't take any sort of criticism of the United States, you think everything American is perfect.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Is it not true that pretty much everything in Europe is smaller than America?
Apartments, Homes, Cars, etc...
People in Europe live very frugal so its sometimes a challenge to find a nice flat with a closet, dryer, garbage disposable and/or air conditioning.
Idk how they do it but i would go insane living over there.
How typically American, somehow bigger is always better. Many find there is more to life than glitzy consumer items and the search for something even bigger.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
How typically American, somehow bigger is always better. Many find there is more to life than glitzy consumer items and the search for something even bigger.
I know i'm talking about me personally. I don't like it over there and i don't want this country to be more "European"

Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
No. Our ancestors moved here to get away from all that.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Frankfurt, London, Paris, Lyon, Marseille and Milan.
Next time i go visit that part of the world i'm only gonna go to UK and Ireland. Italy, France and Germany had wayyy too much concrete, almost every building is made out of this very ugly white-tannish concrete and everything was so compact and small.
Just droppin' in here for a moment. Have to say I agree about the concrete. Riverbanks lined with concrete, concrete, concrete everywhere! Certainly little appreciation of nature, greenery, etc.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just droppin' in here for a moment. Have to say I agree about the concrete. Riverbanks lined with concrete, concrete, concrete everywhere! Certainly little appreciation of nature, greenery, etc.
Personally, I don't think greenery in the center city is that important. I'd rather it be full of pedestrians, have the pedestrian-only shopping streets and squares many European cities have, lots going on, etc. Though I might prefer to live a bit further out where it's greener, for visiting I don't mind too much. Interesting architecture can make up for the lack of greenery, US commercial roads are often eyesores IMO with the strip malls, which are worse than the lack of trees. Give me this treeless commercial street:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Brook...2.66,,0,-10.51

over this treed one:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jeric...2,256.86,,0,-3

Considering how much of the latter we have, we have plenty of our own ugliness. I guess people don't mind the latter as much as I do. In a crowded city, a few trees aren't going to make a huge difference. I care more about trees and good natural places further outside. Which the US has lots of them, far far more than Europe, where nature has been drastically altered. Cities are a small area, losing nature there isn't a tremendous loss, but in much of Europe the natural landscape has been drastically changed. One of the biggest strengths of the US is its natural spaces and just wide open spaces in general. I'm rather appalled no one has brought it up and overlooked it.

Of course, some spots in Europe are relatively close to their natural condition, and not all of the US is, but on average the US is far better. Likewise not all European cities are concrete jungles, it depends where. I remember some photo thread with green European cities, I'd have to dig them up. And if the US city you're used to is NYC, you wouldn't find the lack of trees in the center that noteable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Skimmed over a few bird's eye views of Amsterdam. There's more trees than I expected in the center city.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

in the canal area. A bit space limited. Further out:

a bit greener. Manhattan is more concrete. More residential East Village:

in a more commercial area:

almost none whatsoever. Old Brooklyn neighborhoods are roughly similar in form to the second Amsterdam view:

Old 11-02-2013, 11:31 AM

168 posts, read 251,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol That's actually funny because when I was in Paris the McDonalds were packed with French people, we got lunch there once because well it's McDonalds and you know been there done that, but surprised at how busy they were. Also surprised by how much A&F, and Hollister logos and clothing I saw people wearing (not the older folks, people around my age and a little older,) besides the old buildings and foreign words it could have been any crowded American city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.