Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As I was reading the OPs list, I was thinking Chapel Hill before it was mentioned. The only thing that might not align is "affordable".....then I thought, well, they are coming from coastal Southern California. Now it seems to fit the affordable category too.
I had the exact same thought process. Chapel Hill is going to seem quite affordable in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
I wonder if climate is any factor at all for the OP, coming from Southern California and then the relatively mild winter of Fayetteville. Some of the places mentioned (Ithaca, Ann Arbor, Northfield) will have absolutely horrid winters by comparison.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM

484 posts, read 882,731 times
Well allow me to put my two cents in on Athens, GA since this hasn't been done so far. I grew up about 10 miles from Athens and the feeling I get is that in the actual city (Athens-Clarke County or ACC) it is pretty liberal and welcoming to black/white couples. However in ACC the schools are not very good at all. I believe it is the poorest county in the state. So assuming you do what family did and that is move to a surrounding county such as Oconee or Jackson for the high quality schools you will find that these are very conservative. I wish that the political and social views in ACC were the same in the surrounding counties, but unfortunately they are not. While these surrounding counties are becoming more progressive they are still some of the most conservative places in the state. But on the other hand, Athens is truly a neat city and there are many, many, many excellent dining options downtown. Not to mention all the perks of being located near a division 1 school (UGA) which provides many recreation opportunities such as football, basketball, baseball games, etc.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I wonder if climate is any factor at all for the OP, coming from Southern California and then the relatively mild winter of Fayetteville. Some of the places mentioned (Ithaca, Ann Arbor, Northfield) will have absolutely horrid winters by comparison.
Perhaps, but they fit everything they mentioned in terms of criteria. It isn't like life stops during the winter in these places and the change of weather may be a draw in terms of activities.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I would hardly call Minneapolis a "college town". It's just a big city that has a university, like Houston and Atlanta and Seattle and Philadelphia and Miami.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
If you want to stay on the west coast, look at Eugene, Oregon.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would hardly call Minneapolis a "college town". It's just a big city that has a university, like Houston and Atlanta and Seattle and Philadelphia and Miami.
I mentioned college town section of town as well. Yes, Munneapolis as a whole isn't, but that was in reference to the area(s) around the U of Minnesota.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
If you want to stay on the west coast, look at Eugene, Oregon.
Eugene is fascist/progressive, not liberal. Next door Springfield is Wal-Mart country. It is a unique area to see a major clash of cultures between 'freedom loving blue collar folks' vs. 'the entitled/dependent know-better-than-you fascists' you find in SW Eugene.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 PM

383 posts, read 512,613 times
Cbus, bigger city with many amenities not found in a college town but still has a laid back college atmosphere depending on what area you live in. The great thing about about Cbus is you can be surrounded by the college atmosphere or you can find something else that has nothing to do with OSU. Though football Saturdays might be a different story.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:23 PM

19 posts, read 48,096 times
WOW!
Thanks for all the advice!!

This is all very exciting lol.

To answer a few things:
I think the majority of places (if not all) will be, or at least feel, "affordable" after my many years of paying the price I have to live at the beach in so cal. That will be a refreshing change!
And I am aware of the weather factor. I know that will probably be one of the top adjustments for me, however I LOVED experiencing 4 seasons when in AR. If my perfect fit is in a place that snows, well then apparently I'll have to learn how to shovel snow And invest in some warm shoes. lol!
And as for jobs, both my husband, myself and my Mom are all currently working at Universities, which is another major reason we'd like to be in a college town. If I could arrange my life, we'd all work at the same college and then when my kids grew up they'd all go there. I'm crazy I know!

Anyways, I REALLY appreciate all the feedback!! I'll be sure to let you all know where we end up.
THANKS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.