Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 12:21 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
L.A., NYC, anywhere in Texas or Florida or the Southwest.

Places in the U.S. that I would move to if I had the chance:
Portland, OR, Minneapolis, Omaha, Boston, Chicago
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 6,766 times
East Saint Louis

Old 11-02-2013, 12:45 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Anywhere in the upper Midwest really, including Chicago. Way too much fake friendliness going on, too vanilla and bland, too conventional (feel like I can't be my expressive, strange, creative, awkward self without being judged), bad weather, and too isolated.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Anywhere in the upper Midwest really, including Chicago. Way too much fake friendliness going on, too vanilla and bland, too conventional (feel like I can't be my expressive, strange, creative, awkward self without being judged), bad weather, and too isolated.
You live in Cleveland?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
You live in Cleveland?
Cleveland is not the upper Midwest.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Some of the places in the U.S. I would more than happily move to or probably wouldn't mind to relocate to if I ever had the chance:
(In no particular order)

Santa Monica
New York City (Brooklyn or Queens)
Pasadena, CA
Sacramento
Atlanta
Hyattsville, MD
Rockville, MD
Annapolis, MD
Greenbelt, MD
Fort Washington, MD
Towson, MD
Hoboken, NJ
Santa Barbara
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
Chicago
Minneapolis
Cambridge, MA
Seattle
Philadelphia

Old 11-03-2013, 05:46 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Pittsburgh is earning its sobriquet as "Most Liveable City". Not a single mention so far 10 pages in (although I may have just jinxed it!).

As a mostly lifelong NE/Mid-Atlantic resident, I've long thought I could make it anywhere, and have applied for jobs in Seattle, Austin, Atlanta. But I don't think I could handle much of the midwest or upper Plains save Chicago/Mpls. Having spent so much time in the NE, I'm not fond of the idea of being in a state where you drive two hours in any direction and you're still in the same state. Also not a big fan of heat or humidity, although a great six-figure job could temper that as long as that place has good pizza.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Kiryas Joel, New York (religious enclave)
Angola. Louisiana (you have to be incarcerated to live there)
Times Beach, Missouri (evacuated and no longer inhabited)

I think I would feel uncomfortable, like an unwelcome intruder, in any of the many US cities that have a black-only population, like Gee's Bend, Alabama, Nicodemus, Kansas, Boley, Oklahoma, or Mount Bayou, Mississippi.

Otherwise, unless people like me are generally excluded from acceptance or eligibility, there is no place I would not live under any circumstances.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-03-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Honestly, there are very few places I can say with certainty I wouldn't move to. Sure, there are options that are far more desirable than others, but there can always be future circumstances (probably only a very good or good relationship) that might steer me to some less desirable options. The best answer I can give are cities that are just very undesirable for me. For one, NYC-way too expensive and crowded. Dallas and Atlanta have also always seemed very undesirable. Never been to either, but I imagine they are congested and way too hot and humid. I should mention Phoenix for its heat as well. A city like Miami is also too hot, but at least it has beaches with warm water, so I would not include it.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleveland is not the upper Midwest.
It's still pretty vanilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.