Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why leave Helena, it's a nice town.
We really want to get back east. We're both from the Midwest and we miss the culture, the climate and the moisture. Preferrably, I'd like to move to the Upper Midwest or New England. I still consider every job he sends me though. We're on the verge of a move to the UP. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Helena is an alright town. It's clean, it's growing and it has a strong economy (for Montana standards). I'm sick of the lack of water. I hate that it's brown so much of the year. We love boating and the only lakes around are very small. It's been fun for ten years but as we enter our 30's we're ready to admit to ourselves that Montana just isn't for us. We don't fit in. Our values are just different than the local population. Plus the schools statewide are sub-par.

Well that and I have a gypsy soul. The only reason we've been in Montana as long as we have is because we were in school and we bought a house. Now that we're past the point of losing our butts selling our house, it's time for a new adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
We really want to get back east. We're both from the Midwest and we miss the culture, the climate and the moisture. Preferrably, I'd like to move to the Upper Midwest or New England. I still consider every job he sends me though. We're on the verge of a move to the UP. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Helena is an alright town. It's clean, it's growing and it has a strong economy (for Montana standards). I'm sick of the lack of water. I hate that it's brown so much of the year. We love boating and the only lakes around are very small. It's been fun for ten years but as we enter our 30's we're ready to admit to ourselves that Montana just isn't for us. We don't fit in. Our values are just different than the local population. Plus the schools statewide are sub-par.

Well that and I have a gypsy soul. The only reason we've been in Montana as long as we have is because we were in school and we bought a house. Now that we're past the point of losing our butts selling our house, it's time for a new adventure.
Understood, I could see it growing old. I've visited many times and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't live there.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am wondering what the reasons people are saying they do not want to live in the cities they are listing.
Why would anyone move to any city knowing that it would be a downgrade in quality of life for them?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:18 PM

13 posts, read 15,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
What cities do you refuse to move to and absolutely would not. For example mine would be Las Vegas. I have no desire to have anything to do with that city. I'm not into the gambling or partying scene. I don't want to bash cities, rather think about certain aspects of places that make them "unlivable" to you and what cities have these aspects.
Ditto! Las Vegas is totally out for me. As is anything in Florida. Blech!

Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why would anyone move to any city knowing that it would be a downgrade in quality of life for them?
That is essentially what I am asking. The question is simply, where do they obtain their information? How do they know it will be a downgrade in the quality of life? Are they going by personal observation or hearsay. If it's hearsay, how do they know they are getting the correct information or information that actually pertains to them?

The reason why I mention this, as a perfect example, is because so many people have misconceptions about the city in which I live.

So we are basically saying the same thing. I am asking, how can a person judge a place unless he or she has actually been to that place and made observations for themselves? So again, how many here are basing their opinion of other places on gossip and stories they have heard or actual research in the form of talking to people who live there, visits, reading many sources and best of all seeing for themselves.

It's like recommending a food without ever having eaten it.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
That is essentially what I am asking. The question is simply, where do they obtain their information? How do they know it will be a downgrade in the quality of life? Are they going by personal observation or hearsay. If it's hearsay, how do they know they are getting the correct information or information that actually pertains to them?

The reason why I mention this, as a perfect example, is because so many people have misconceptions about the city in which I live.

So we are basically saying the same thing. I am asking, how can a person judge a place unless he or she has actually been to that place and made observations for themselves? So again, how many here are basing their opinion of other places on gossip and stories they have heard or actual research in the form of talking to people who live there, visits, reading many sources and best of all seeing for themselves.

I have been to Pierre, SD. It is small and not the nicest place. Plus, there are personal reasons I'd never move there. There are people who live there that I can't stand (people who disgust and anger me), and it would be impossible to avoid these people, given the size of the town.

The capitol is nice, and I enjoy visiting it at Christmastime, but that's about it. I spent a day there a couple months ago, kayaking on the Missouri River. I had fun, but as they say, there's nothing like Pierre in your rear view mirror.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 PM

66 posts, read 129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are different reasons, be it work related or family, that somebody may move somewhere that isn't quite as exciting as where they currently live. Example: What if hypothetically an engineering grad was living in San Francisco but waiting tables because they are unable to find a job. They get a job offer for a nice, salaried position but its in Indianapolis. Indianapolis is a significant decrease in quality of live compared to San Francisco. Some people would continue waiting tables in San Francisco because they couldn't accept living in a lesser city. Others would make the move because their career is more important than living in their dream city. People make decisions like that all the time.

Last edited by BigCityBrightLights; 10-31-2013 at 04:16 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 04:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:

I base these decisions on several factors. Climate, politics, quality of education, cost of living, access to ammenities.

I don't have to go to Phoenix to know it's hot and dry. I like it colder and wet. Therefore, I have no desire to live in Phoenix.

We have this wonderful tool at our fingertips to research anything we want. Of course it's not the same as being there physically but it also can't be discounted as nothing.

Like I stated before, I was just looking into Bartow, WV. When I heard WV, I was intriqued. I thought it might be a place we could live. I don't have to physically go to Bartow and see it with my own eyes when statistics I found online tell me the median household income is less than $19,000 and the meadian home value is $24,000. Unemployment was near 50% and 100% of families live in poverty. It's over 200 miles to the nearest city with a population of over 200,000. Sites like citydata forums tell me the area is extremely remote and not to expect internet or even cell service let alone find a rental.

Climate alone will eliminate a lot of areas for me. So I don't care how funky Austin, TX is, I simply don't like heat.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
I can't say there isn't really a city I wouldn't move to. I would say there are plenty of cities I wouldn't prefer, and I wouldn't be too happy if I had to move to them.

DC is by far at the top of my list. Only because I was there for awhile, and hated every nanosecond during my time there.

Another city is Boston. I've never been there, but there are a ton of things about Boston culture I don't like. Elitism, segregation, snobbery, liberalism, rudeness, you name it. Boston is more or less probably simply the East Coast version of yuppie hotspots like Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland. I feel as a black man, my time would be miserable in Boston. Every black person I knew from Boston completely despised it, called it racist, and insanely marginalized. I think Seattle and the Bay Area's saving grace in terms of race is that they ARE on the West Coast. People there are kind of conditioned to simply ignore race, especially in business. I doubt Boston is this kind of city.

So definitely Boston gets my vote. Again, I'm guessing if I got offered some fat job there, I would pack my bags and go. But I would have a lot of hysteria about moving to such a city, which just seem too segregated and marginalized.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM

93,283 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I can't say there isn't really a city I wouldn't move to. I would say there are plenty of cities I wouldn't prefer, and I wouldn't be too happy if I had to move to them.

DC is by far at the top of my list. Only because I was there for awhile, and hated every nanosecond during my time there.

Another city is Boston. I've never been there, but there are a ton of things about Boston culture I don't like. Elitism, segregation, snobbery, liberalism, rudeness, you name it. Boston is more or less probably simply the East Coast version of yuppie hotspots like Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland. I feel as a black man, my time would be miserable in Boston. Every black person I knew from Boston completely despised it, called it racist, and insanely marginalized. I think Seattle and the Bay Area's saving grace in terms of race is that they ARE on the West Coast. People there are kind of conditioned to simply ignore race, especially in business. I doubt Boston is this kind of city.

So definitely Boston gets my vote. Again, I'm guessing if I got offered some fat job there, I would pack my bags and go. But I would have a lot of hysteria about moving to such a city, which just seem too segregated and marginalized.
If you did move there, you may like parts of Cambridge, Dorchester, Milton, Malden, Everett, Somerville, Medford and Randolph, along with maybe a few others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.