Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned the original poster's hometown of Milwaukee.

Though it's not exactly integrated, it is relatively global (just 45 min. from O'hare airport).

MKE is home to lots of immigrants and refugees from all over the globe.

It definitely has a laid back atmosphere, and a good enough arts/culture scene.

Plus, who can't resist beer and brats?
yes I think Milwukee is underated but its hardly cosmopolitan or sophisticated.Its to much of a blue collar city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Lol at Milwaukee being global

Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 AM

133 posts, read 543,796 times
I'm not saying MKE is on the same tier as SF or NYC, but it's certainly just as global if not more so than other cities discussed on this forum such as Baltimore, Savannah, and Pittsburgh.

As I said, it's close to one of the largest airports in the world.

Also, MKE is home to immigrants from all the post-communist countries like Ukraine, Serbia, Russia, and Lithuania. Plus, there are refugees from Somalia, Laos, and Latin America.

Summerfest and Beerfest draw in people from all over. It has several street fests to celebrate its diversity.

Milwaukee Summer Lakefront & Ethnic Festivals 2013 - A Listing of Summer Festivals in Milwaukee

Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying MKE is on the same tier as SF or NYC, but it's certainly just as global if not more so than other cities discussed on this forum such as Baltimore, Savannah, and Pittsburgh.

Also, MKE is home to immigrants from all the post-communist countries like Ukraine, Serbia, Russia, and Lithuania. Plus, there are refugees from Somalia, Laos, and Latin America.

Summerfest and Beerfest draw in people from all over. It has several street fests to celebrate its diversity.

Milwaukee Summer Lakefront & Ethnic Festivals 2013 - A Listing of Summer Festivals in Milwaukee

Those cities arent global at all why would the modifier global even be used in the first place .

Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM

133 posts, read 543,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Those cities arent global at all why would the modifier global even be used in the first place .
I'm not saying they are. Read the thread. Others had their reasons.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,404,631 times
Quote:

Milwaukee isn't very global. Give me a break, already.

The airport argument is lame. O'Hare isn't that close to Milwaukee. It's a 90 minute drive.

And O'Hare isn't a huge international air hub anyways. It has less international traffic than JFK, Newark, LAX, or Miami.

And even if it were, the argument doesn't make any sense. Frankfurt is an international air hub, yet there are villages 30 minutes away that are super rural and isolated, in an area of Germany called the Eifel. No one would argue the Eifel is global; it's like the West Virginia of Germany.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 PM

The reasoning has no logic to it though
. Chicago is a burgeoning global city BC of the businesses located there not ohare

Old 11-15-2013, 02:51 PM

17 posts, read 66,017 times
Milwaukee, no! I totally disagree. Just because we have a Polish Pride festival doesn't mean we're global. THIS IS THE MOST SEGREGATED CITY IN THE COUNTRY! Being cosmopolitan does not mean wearing cheesehats.

Though I really like what people have written about Philadelphia, does anyone know anything about Sacramento?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:07 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:

Ummm.No.and HELL NO.

Savannah is a torist city.Outside of the U.S.,not many people know about it.It does not evena major city.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are not global or cosmopolitan either BUT they have institutions that have world wide notoriety.

Baltimore has Johns Hopkins and a huge port.

Pittsburgh has Carnigie Mellon and the University of Pittsburgh.,some pretty big global companies like ALCOA ,Bayer and PPG Industries and also a big bank like PNC Finacial.

Milwaukee has nothng that would place it on the global radar.

The fact that there is a large refugee population also means little.The Milwauke blue collar culture is too ingrained to show a more global minded presence.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:24 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't see anything sophisticated about Philadelphia. It is known for cheesesteaks, rioting, trashy sports fans and a bell that was made in the 1700s. Both Philly and nearby Camden NJ are known for urban decay. I don't think there is anything sophisticated about Philly. As a region, Baltimore is more sophisticated than PHiladelphia.

Wheras Denver and Austin are white collar cities, and Austin is also a college town with lots of research as well as a major IT industry based there
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Let me see.
In The Rodin Museum is a museum which contains the largest collection of sculptor Auguste Rodin's works outside Paris.
The best-known of Rodin's works, The Thinker

Also In Philly
The Franklin Institute (named after the noted American scientist and statesman Benjamin Franklin) is a museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and one of the oldest centers of science education and development in the United States, dating to 1824. The Institute also houses the Benjamin Franklin National Memorial.
Schukyll River and Boathouse Row is where the tradion of Rowing with the many Crews off the banks of the Schukyll River.Very old money.

The Main Line and Rittenhouse Square with families that are with genrational wealth.

Ivy League schools that date back centuries.

Not to mention an over $400B GDP economy that is either #1 or #2 in Pharmesutical research,huge Biomedicine and a huge higher education center.

Now please tell me how Austin,Denver or any other city you have mentioned can compare?
The ONLY thing they have is a more educated populace but without the arts,industry and higher end shopping and top hotels and resturants.

Not to mention they lack the diversity and multicuturalism of Philly.
And they boo Santa in Philly.

Never been to Austin. However, I can tell you about Denver.

Arts:

Denver Center for Performing Arts. Just saw "The Book of Mormon" there, with the NYC cast. And, as a bonus, more Denverites actually know about Mormonism than do Philadelphians, who probably think it's some sort of "cult".
denvercenter.org The official source for tickets at The Denver Center for the Performing Arts

Denver Art Museum
A fabulous building, architecturally. Great exhibits, as well.
Denver Art Museum

Denver Museum of Nature and Science
Current Exhibitions : Denver Museum of Nature & Science

Denver Public Library
Has a unique collection of western history, not that easterners care about anything west of the Susquehanna River.
Denver Public Library | Denver Public Library

Plus much more. Bonus: The Scientific and Cultural Facilities District-a taxing district that funds the arts in both the city and the suburbs, and some statewide. (And this state is wide) Pittsburgh modeled their program on Denver's.
Scientific and Cultural Facilities District

Who cares about Philly's wealthy families, other than other Philadelphians? We have our own-the Coors family especially. Philadelphians are all the time talking about their "old money". Phildelphians think the "new money" people are crass and so forth. Coming from Pittsburgh ("land of no money") I never got this. Aren't people supposed to try to better themselves?

Education: Some highly rated PUBLIC colleges, plus the U of Denver.

Economy: High tech, baby. It's the present and the future. Philly's in the past. Financial center of the Rockies.

Health Care: University of Colorado Health Science Center; Children's Hospital nationally ranked in 10 specialities; U of CO Hosp ranked nationally in 5 specialites. National Jewish Hospital, the leading respiratory hospital in the nation.
University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora, CO - US News Best Hospitals
Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora, CO - US News Best Hospitals
The Leading Respiratory Hospital in the Nation - National Jewish Health

Diversity: More diverse than you seem to think. About 50% non-hispanic white, 50% other. Diverse suburbs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.