Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,599,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Dont forget the Irish-Italian mixed in north-east, they are extremely common.
oh, i didn't forget .. you just didn't ask about them.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:16 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,831,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I recall seeing statistics on another forum which showed hair color in the U.S. by region. Not surprisingly, the Northeast had the darkest complexions, followed by the West. The Midwest was the blondest. The South had the highest amount of red hair (which isn't that surprising given how much Scottish ancestry there is). I believe it was only counting white Americans, as otherwise the southern results would have made little sense.

Sadly, I read this years ago, and I never got a proper citation of the source data, so take it with a one ton grain of salt.
I think I found what you found, though the original article link is dead. This is including only Caucasian Hispanics and Non-Hispanic Whites for America. Light hair includes light brown.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:18 PM

87,961 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Whites look alike. You can not tell a German apart from an Irishman, Englishman, Russian, etc. You would also not be able to distinguish a European from a white American if they were dressed exactly the same and had the exact same hairstyle.
Not true. I can often pick Slavic people out of a crowd of white people.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,149,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I think I found what you found, though the original article link is dead. This is including only Caucasian Hispanics and Non-Hispanic Whites for America. Light hair includes light brown.

hopefully those stats are accurate. Matches what I noticed traveling to the UK: on average the locals there seems lighter complexioned than whites back home. Part of it is from the sunlight there, though.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,149,397 times
Quote:
That sounds about right, midwest as in minnesota, dakotas, michigan and wisconsin have the highest amount of blond people because of higher germanic input (scandianvian, dutch, german) in comparison to British Isles ancestry like in the south which has higher amount of brown hair but also a larger minority of redheads. People in the Northeast have prevalence of irish and italian(sicilian) and many people are a mix of those two ancestries who arent particularly blonde per se, specially regarding sicilians who are very mediterraenan looking.
which is why you can't lump white americans together as one.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:32 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,831,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
hopefully those stats are accurate. Matches what I noticed traveling to the UK: on average the locals there seems lighter complexioned than whites back home. Part of it is from the sunlight there, though.
Yeah, I wish I could tell you. Here's what was copied from the original now-dead link:

Quote:
"Tony, you asked me to compile a statistic for hair and eye color for the following 55 countries and 16 ethnic groups. I used over 10,000 samples to complete that task. That included soccer players of age 20-30 for all statistical purposes, politicians for further refinement of our Eye color data and other representable groups of people when needed. Our samples are of wide geographic distribution instead of focusing on just one or few places within a country and all major nations have 300+ representatives. The stats ignore recent immigration influences in Europe and include only Caucasian Latin Americans, non-Hispanic Whites and Slavic Russians respectively for the US and Russia. I also added regional averages for comparison purposes. As you requested I used the following categorizations and listed the units in descending EI order:"
It's better than random photos and anecdotes, but I think it's validity is a bit questionable because the samples don't seem random. There are some places in the rankings that look odd, but I base my thoughts off limited experience (e.g. the people I've known from the former Yugoslavia have tended to be very fair, but it's a small sample size).

Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 PM

649 posts, read 1,209,873 times
Quote:
although the British people could have lighter skin just because of the climate, however some studies of few years ago show how the dutch and northern germans have slighty lighter skin tone.
I don't care about what some dubious site out of a million of such sites showing different results says.

Actual life long German men in their late forties are certain that Germans are darker skinned than Brits. These two guys are based in China now constructing beer brewery equipment. They're real Germans, not German Americans and lived in Germany for decades. It's also common to see East Asian women lighter than most white women. They're of the same tone as a light Celt woman and lighter than non British/Celt white women.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 PM

649 posts, read 1,209,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I was just saying that to annoy the OP. I think he was beat up as a child by a blonde blue-eyed British person and now he posts all types of racist things about them and their former colonies on this forum. lol He has NEVER even visited the world outside of South America (He lives there), yet he thinks he knows everything about European people and their descendants around the world. . His nonsense annoys the hell out of me.

A majority of British and German people (the ancestry of most white Americans) have dark hair. Germans are NOT (in fact, they are so far from) being majority blonde even though the Traveler86 insists that they are when he has never even seen a German outside of the pictures he finds on the internet.

In regards to which eye color is "better", I honestly think that people don't even care what eye color others have.
The only group I can say with certainty showing more traits of anything is more Scandinavians are blond and more are tall.

Yes majority of British and Germans have dark hair. Brits are lighter skinned than Germans generally, as they tend to look ivory, like the pale East Asians, while Germans tend to have the archetypal pink skin that white people have.

People don't care about eye color much, but I have a pronounced preference for dark haired men.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:17 PM

237 posts, read 667,961 times
Quote:
although the British people could have lighter skin just because of the climate, however some studies of few years ago show how the dutch and northern germans have slighty lighter skin tone.
The biggest problem with this study, that casts it in a dubious light, is the London sample.

EUROPE
Netherlands
67•37
Germany (Mainz)
66•90
United Kingdom (Northern)
66•10
Spain (Basques) 65•70
United Kingdom (Wales) 65•00
Ireland (Rossmore)
64•75
Spain (Leon)
64•66
Belgium
63•14
United Kingdom (London) 62•30

WEST ASIA

Iraq/Syria (Kurds) 61•12
Turkey 59•15
Israel 58•20
Lebanon 58•20
Jordan 53•00
Saudi Arabia 52•50

NORTH AFRICA
Algeria (Aures) 58•05
Tunisia 56•30
Morocco 54•85
Libya (Tripoli) 54•40
Libya (Fezzan) 44•00

SOUTH ASIA
India (Northern) 53•26
Pakistan 52•30
India (Southern) 46•70

EAST ASIA
China (Southern) 59•17
Vietnam 55•90
Japan (Northern) 54•90
Philippines (Manila) 54•10
Cambodia 54•00
Japan (Southwest) 53•55
Nepal (Eastern) 50•42

AUSTRO-MELANESIA
Papua New Guinea 35•30
Australia (Darwin) 19•30

AMERICAS
Greenland (Southern) 55•70
Peru (Nunoa) 47•70
Peru (Maranon) 43•05

SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA
South Africa (Hottentot) 46•80
Botswana (San) 42•40
Zaire 33•20
Kenya 32•40
Ethiopia 31•70
Tanzania (Sandewe) 28•90
Namibia 25•55
Cameroon (Fali) 21•50
Mozambique (Chopi) 19•45

Are we to believe that people from London are far closer in skin lightness to Iraqi Kurds. Are they closer to Turks, Lebanese and Israelis than to the other northern UK test subjects? Are they as close to the South Chinese as they are to the Basque and Welsh? That makes absolutely no sense, unless we assume they were tested everyone in the city. Not just Anglos, but Pakistanis, Jews, etc.

The results either show they are using none native subjects as well, or have some kind of flawed methodology or execution. The London example proves this. Just because a study is performed and released doesn't mean it's automatically fact in face of science. I don't know if it was peer reviewed or what kind of reception it had in the bigger scientific community. So I'd take it with a grain of salt, and that includes all of the other countries in the study.

People want to say the Spanish are as light or lighter than other Western European countries based on this paper. But the test subjects were from the Basque region and the very north of Spain. And even then, I highly doubt they are lighter than the Irish, let alone south/east English. It makes no sense on any level. The Basque are usually dark and often olive skin with some lighter minorities, and the Irish are in vast majority fair and light skinned with a small darker minority.

Even if you want to turn the switch off above on all of this, your whole British Islanders are all the same attitude doesn't add up here. Northern England is similar to Germany and further from Ireland, if you want to keep the figures for what they are. This would clearly show some differing factors between the northern UK (wherever that is) and Ireland and Wales. So either way, it's lose/lose.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 PM

237 posts, read 667,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
The only group I can say with certainty showing more traits of anything is more Scandinavians are blond and more are tall.

Yes majority of British and Germans have dark hair. Brits are lighter skinned than Germans generally, as they tend to look ivory, like the pale East Asians, while Germans tend to have the archetypal pink skin that white people have.

People don't care about eye color much, but I have a pronounced preference for dark haired men.
Brits usually have the pinky white skin tone, or very white skin that turns red and burns rather than tans. Germans often have identical skin, but less of the latter. Germans usually tan easier than Brits, and seem a little more tolerant of the sun. Light eye shades are similar, but higher percentages for the Irish and some of the Scots.

East Asians can have very white skin, but it's completely different. It usually doesn't show any pink, even in the sun, and tans easily. For that reason, light East Asian skin more resembles southern European skin tone. They can rarely have a pinky paleness but usually even Koreans, Japanese, and northern Chinese have more of an olive complexion to light brown on average. That tone might be more similar to exotic southern Europeans or periphery coastal Mediterranean areas of the Middle East.

Last edited by Mmega; 12-07-2013 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.