Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,873,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
The whole Britain being settled out of Spain idea is not really factual anymore. It makes sense if we use a post glacial migration model, but we know the major movements into Europe occurred well after. That theory is now obsolete, but you still hear it being told as if the word hasn't completely got around. The true aboriginals were I2b, who at least were there longer than anyone. It now makes little sense that Britain remained unoccupied of R1b until immigrants came all of the way up from Iberia. This is especially unbelievable when Britain is clearly visible from the continent across the channel. The specific R1b subclades are not the same, which doesn't indicate a direct passage from the south west. It likely came from the most logical direction across the channel from France and Belgium originally from southern Germany.
This is all true, but it remains the case that as agriculturalists first spread out of the Middle East, they hugged the coastlines for quite some time. Britain's first farmers may have crossed the Channel, but they occupied coastal France and areas further south. They didn't seem to have heavy penetration yet into Central Europe, as hunter-gatherer populations held on in Holland and Germany for thousands of years following.

The bottom line, as I said elsewhere, is that both Germany and Britain are mainly mixtures of Southern (roughly speaking, near eastern farmers) and Northern (mesolithic hunter-gatherers). The British are almost perfectly balanced between these two components, but Germans are around 5% shifted in the "northern" direction.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
All I can tell you is that I have had my DNA tested and gotten genealogy results from two different sources and both sources state that I am 99 percent Northern European, nearly all of that English and Irish, , and 1 percent "general European" and while I do not tan easily, I also don't burn easily. I have very dark hair, and very dark eyes. Picture on my profile. I'm the whitest person I know genetically!

It's very possible for Brits/Irish - and "pure" northern Europeans to have very dark hair and eyes and lots of color to their skin.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:44 PM

237 posts, read 668,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is all true, but it remains the case that as agriculturalists first spread out of the Middle East, they hugged the coastlines for quite some time. Britain's first farmers may have crossed the Channel, but they occupied coastal France and areas further south. They didn't seem to have heavy penetration yet into Central Europe, as hunter-gatherer populations held on in Holland and Germany for thousands of years following.

The bottom line, as I said elsewhere, is that both Germany and Britain are mainly mixtures of Southern (roughly speaking, near eastern farmers) and Northern (mesolithic hunter-gatherers). The British are almost perfectly balanced between these two components, but Germans are around 5% shifted in the "northern" direction.
Actually southern Germany was a major intersection for many migrations in the past. It has one of the highest diversities of R1b, which suggests a major launch point into the west, and higher percentages for haplogroups associated with Near East farmers. The Danube river was an important route for many groups of migrations. And it's seen here how further south Germany places on many of it's plots verses the British Isles.
http://spittoon.23andme.com/wp-conte...logpostfig.jpg
Whether higher levels of Near Eastern farmers existed in Ireland and Britain before the Indo-European advancement is not known. If they did, they were mostly all eradicated, especially in Ireland, by the dominant R1b Indo-Europeans.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:23 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,891,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
There are two trends that I have seen in all the posts you make.

The first trend is that you try (failing each time) to distance British people from other Germanic populations in Europe.

The second trend is that every chance you get you try to cluster Spanish and British people as being similar. Again, failing, as British and Spanish people are absolutely nothing similar in culture or appearance. lol. I have in-law relatives and friends fresh off the boat from England. I also have been to Barcelona. A Brit would stick out like a sore thumb in Spain, just like I did.

So I don't know what your goal is. To make racist and inaccurate comments about British people, or, to connect Spanish and British people together because of your insecurities about being attached to Spanish culture yourself (being that you are from South America). I know you aren't Brazilian so that could only mean you are one of the mestizos living throughout the continent.
I'm sorry but Britons ARE NOT different to other Europeans and that includes Germans!! There is so much bollox on this thread its unbelievable!! Britons DO NOT all burn in the sun!! No more and no less than Germans! To suggest otherwise is stereotypical hogwash!! Britons like all other Europeans come in EVERY shade and colour! We are not all the same!!! I am British and I have been mistaken for Dutch, Croatian, Italian, French and Scottish at different times in my life, I would guarantee that nobody would know for sure which European country I come from just by 'looking' at me - says it all really!! I have dark hair, green eyes and yes I tan in the sun!! Oh and I am like countless other Englishmen! Yes there are blond Britons, brunette Britons, black haired Britons and red headed Britons, there are blue eyed Britons, brown eyed Britons and green eyed Britons, There are pale skinned Britons, olive skinned Britons, brown skinned Britons and black skinned Britons. The highest percentage of Britons are dark haired not blond or red headed. Britain itself is and always has been an island of immigrants since the beginning of time! People have settled hear from North Europe, East Europe and South Europe, more recently they have settled here from Asia and Africa, so as an Englishman who lives in Britain and has travelled to many European countries I'm telling you 'there is NO British look'!!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:30 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,833,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Sorry to come off as rude, but I'll believe it when I see it. lol. I have been very connected to the Chinese community in Tampa for many years now through my roommate. Not to mention the thousands of asians that I see on a daily basis out in my daily activities. Never have I seen one with a sunburn. Even google searches can't bring one up.
Sorry I didn't take any pictures. She'd probably have killed me if I did.

Asians take a lot longer to burn. The light-skin mutation was a different allele that Europeans. But they still will burn at some point.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:25 AM

830 posts, read 3,578,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm sorry but Britons ARE NOT different to other Europeans and that includes Germans!! There is so much bollox on this thread its unbelievable!! Britons DO NOT all burn in the sun!! No more and no less than Germans! To suggest otherwise is stereotypical hogwash!! Britons like all other Europeans come in EVERY shade and colour! We are not all the same!!! I am British and I have been mistaken for Dutch, Croatian, Italian, French and Scottish at different times in my life, I would guarantee that nobody would know for sure which European country I come from just by 'looking' at me - says it all really!! I have dark hair, green eyes and yes I tan in the sun!! Oh and I am like countless other Englishmen! Yes there are blond Britons, brunette Britons, black haired Britons and red headed Britons, there are blue eyed Britons, brown eyed Britons and green eyed Britons, There are pale skinned Britons, olive skinned Britons, brown skinned Britons and black skinned Britons. The highest percentage of Britons are dark haired not blond or red headed. Britain itself is and always has been an island of immigrants since the beginning of time! People have settled hear from North Europe, East Europe and South Europe, more recently they have settled here from Asia and Africa, so as an Englishman who lives in Britain and has travelled to many European countries I'm telling you 'there is NO British look'!!
you wrong, according to mmega and saxonwold all britons are tall blonde nordic featured people, you dont find someone like mr bean in england, those are migrants from greece, not real britishmen.

Yes there are diversity in eerycountry but dont tell me there arent difference between european countries, the average people in a little town in spain, italy or greece look very different to the average person in a little town of sweden, denmark or finland.

Britain is very diverse (within its wide variation of british phenotypes) but even among that diversity many of those phenotypes are very british looking, such as wayne rooney, noel gallagher, Winston Churchill, Michael carrick, Bryan may, Bruce dickenson, Tony Blair, Nick griffin, etc. There are so many British types that I wouldnt imagine as being anything But British or Irish.

The same for germans, I see many german faces I would never ever guess as British men, such as Oliver Khan, Manuel Neuer, Michael Schumacher, thomas muller,etc.

There is many variation within european countries but even those variation more often than not is recognizable as typical from every country.

British or german?
http://www.waldorf-namibia.org/wp-co...-Uni-72dpi.jpg

British or german?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x...ADEMar2011.jpg

Its not that hard to tell some nationalities apart, but seems its politically incorrect to point out those differences

Old 12-18-2013, 03:41 AM

237 posts, read 668,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
you wrong, according to mmega and saxonwold all britons are tall blonde nordic featured people, you dont find someone like mr bean in england, those are migrants from greece, not real britishmen.

Yes there are diversity in eerycountry but dont tell me there arent difference between european countries, the average people in a little town in spain, italy or greece look very different to the average person in a little town of sweden, denmark or finland.

Britain is very diverse (within its wide variation of british phenotypes) but even among that diversity many of those phenotypes are very british looking, such as wayne rooney, noel gallagher, Winston Churchill, Michael carrick, Bryan may, Bruce dickenson, Tony Blair, Nick griffin, etc. There are so many British types that I wouldnt imagine as being anything But British or Irish.

The same for germans, I see many german faces I would never ever guess as British men, such as Oliver Khan, Manuel Neuer, Michael Schumacher, thomas muller,etc.

There is many variation within european countries but even those variation more often than not is recognizable as typical from every country.

British or german?

British or german?

Its not that hard to tell some nationalities apart, but seems its politically incorrect to point out those differences
No one here has ever said ALL Britons are tall, blond, and nordic. That is a blatant strawman tactic, and shows how demented your sensibilities and debating skills are. But I guess that's what you do best when you constantly get showed up all of the time. You are the one who says blond hair is very rare and almost non-existent in the British Isles. That might seem like a strawman, but believe it or not, it isn't. Simply disagreeing with this stupid idea doesn't mean everyone therefore is blond and Germanic looking. I think this also stems from your complete ignorance of how statistics work, and your perceiving of pure racial divides. You don't know anything about northern European people, and nothing of what you say indicates that you've been as well traveled as you say. I don't think you've been anywhere.

Last edited by Mmega; 12-18-2013 at 03:54 AM..

Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
Quote:

Quote:
\

Quote:
Just had my genetic testing done at 23andme. Here I am:

Quote:
I'm predominately British/Irish however - and 98 percent Northern European. I don't look stereotypically "British or Irish."

Quote:
Though I am predominately Northern European, I have a German maiden name (my German ancestors moved to the New World in the 1640s - every family had at least one surviving male issue, the vast majority of whom married English wives - hence my heavy English ancestry but German last name). I am in fact only 9 percent German/French. But I don't look like a stereotypical German woman either. Imagine that!

Here is my genetic makeup (dating from the last 500 years at least):

Sub-regional Resolution
Ancestry Composition tells you what percent of your DNA comes from each of 31 populations worldwide. The analysis includes DNA you received from all of your ancestors, on both sides of your family. The results reflect where your ancestors lived 500 years ago, before ocean-crossing ships and airplanes came on the scene.

99.9%
European

Northern European - 97.8%:

65.0% - British & Irish
9.0% - French & German
0.5% - Finnish
0.1% - Scandinavian
23.3% - Nonspecific Northern European

Southern European - 1.6%:

1.6% - Nonspecific Southern European

0.5% - Nonspecific European
0.1% - Unassigned
= 100%

I'm 98 percent Northern European - with dark hair and dark eyes. My father has the same dark hair and dark eyes. My mother has dark hair (and green eyes). My grandfathers both had dark hair. So did both mu grandmothers. Etc Etc. On both sides of the family I am about as close to 100 percent NORTHERN European as anyone could get - even if they hailed from Sweden or Finland or the northernmost reaches of Ireland!

Quote:
People have guessed that I'm Greek, or part Roma, or part Native American, etc etc but the fact is that dark haired, dark eyed genes go as far back in my very English/Irish family as we can find photographs for (mid 1800s) - and of course, farther back than that as well. On both sides of my family.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM

830 posts, read 3,578,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
\

Just had my genetic testing done at 23andme. Here I am:

I'm predominately British/Irish however - and 98 percent Northern European. I don't look stereotypically "British or Irish."

Though I am predominately Northern European, I have a German maiden name (my German ancestors moved to the New World in the 1640s - every family had at least one surviving male issue, the vast majority of whom married English wives - hence my heavy English ancestry but German last name). I am in fact only 9 percent German/French. But I don't look like a stereotypical German woman either. Imagine that!

Here is my genetic makeup (dating from the last 500 years at least):

Sub-regional Resolution
Ancestry Composition tells you what percent of your DNA comes from each of 31 populations worldwide. The analysis includes DNA you received from all of your ancestors, on both sides of your family. The results reflect where your ancestors lived 500 years ago, before ocean-crossing ships and airplanes came on the scene.

99.9%
European

Northern European - 97.8%:

65.0% - British & Irish
9.0% - French & German
0.5% - Finnish
0.1% - Scandinavian
23.3% - Nonspecific Northern European

Southern European - 1.6%:

1.6% - Nonspecific Southern European

0.5% - Nonspecific European
0.1% - Unassigned
= 100%

I'm 98 percent Northern European - with dark hair and dark eyes. My father has the same dark hair and dark eyes. My mother has dark hair (and green eyes). My grandfathers both had dark hair. So did both mu grandmothers. Etc Etc. On both sides of the family I am about as close to 100 percent NORTHERN European as anyone could get - even if they hailed from Sweden or Finland or the northernmost reaches of Ireland!

People have guessed that I'm Greek, or part Roma, or part Native American, etc etc but the fact is that dark haired, dark eyed genes go as far back in my very English/Irish family as we can find photographs for (mid 1800s) - and of course, farther back than that as well. On both sides of my family.

You wont stand among British and Irish people, In fact if you ever visit the UK you will see how so many people have similar coloring and features.

Take a look of this video of football fans, would you tell me the overwhelm of the supporters (ethnic english people)would make you stand out there?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,891,268 times
Quote:

British or german?

British or german?

I am sorry but I don't look like Wayne Rooney, Winston Churchill or Noel Gallagher! If I have a 'British look' that is somehow 'different' from a Germans then please pray tell what it is exactly? My nose? Eyes? Face shape? Tell me what it is that makes Noel Gallagher, Winston Churchill, Cary Grant and say Christian Bale all look so blatently 'British'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.