Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Yeah its Huff Post, they right some good material every now and then in terms of travel writing, and sometimes they write garbage. I liked this list though, it's pretty well rouned. The Twenties are a fun and free spirited time in life to travel and explore America. Would you agree with this list? This list ranges from cities large to small, from usual suspects to unexpected. Say your in you're 20's and your doing a roadtrip across country, what's the bucket list?

20 Awesome U.S. Cities You Need To Visit In Your 20s

1- Nashville, TN
2- Asheville, NC
3- Portland, OR
4- Denver, CO
5- Kansas City, MO
6- Seattle, WA
7- New Orleans
8- Austin, TX
9- Missoula, MT
10- Burlington, VT
11- Eureka, CA
12- Eugene, OR
13- Minneapolis, MN
14- Omaha, NE
15- Bisbee, AZ
16- Anchorage, AK
17- Ocean City, MD
18- Honolulu, HI
19- Albuquerque, NM
20- Savannah, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I've been to many of them. What a weird list. Nashville is # 1? I've been there many times -- cool town, great live music and not just country music. But # 1?

Kansas City, MO is # 5? A must visit in your 20s? Huh? (It's a nice place ... particularly good for young couples who want to settle down into suburban life and raise a family but still want some big cities amenities close at hand.)

Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Would not agree at all... sounds like a list for a freewheeling hippie banjo player trying to earn some bucks. Honestly if your 20's skip the U.S. and travel abroad for awhile or a gap year b/c it will become harder to do later.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've been to many of them. What a weird list. Nashville is # 1? I've been there many times -- cool town, great live music and not just country music. But # 1?

Kansas City, MO is # 5? A must visit in your 20s? Huh? (It's a nice place ... particularly good for young couples who want to settle down into suburban life and raise a family but still want some big cities amenities close at hand.)
I think that's probably what the writer had in mind, if San Francisco or New York were at the top it wouldn't surprise therefore make less interesting content. Kansas City makes one question, and perhaps read on a little further. Omaha is on the list too, I went there last year and it's a city that total wasn't on my radar. The Old Market area of downtown Omaha surprised me with good dining and nightlife options, and it was pretty charming and quite friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Would not agree at all... sounds like a list for a freewheeling hippie banjo player trying to earn some bucks.
I knew someone would insert something as trite and predictable as this. Great advice for those twenty something travelers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Honestly if your 20's skip the U.S. and travel abroad for awhile or a gap year b/c it will become harder to do later.
Yeah you do have a very good point there. Not every 20 something has the ability or means to do that though.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-09-2013 at 09:35 AM..

Old 11-09-2013, 11:21 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
This is a completely bizarro list. Perhaps if one has already visited NYC, Washington DC, Boston and San Francisco one could move on to places like Nashville, Kansas City and Omaha....but first?? It seems somewhat "hipster" oriented which is fine for hipsters, but not all twenty-somethings are.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think that's probably what the writer had in mind, if San Francisco or New York were at the top it wouldn't surprise therefore make less interesting content. Kansas City makes one question, and perhaps read on a little further. Omaha is on the list too, I went there last year and it's a city that total wasn't on my radar. The Old Market area of downtown Omaha surprised me with good dining and nightlife options, and it was pretty charming and quite friendly.

I knew someone would insert something as trite and predictable as this. Great advice for those twenty something travelers .

Yeah you do have a very good point there. Not every 20 something has the ability or means to do that though.
Well you have to admit Nashville, Asheville, Portland as the 1,2, 3 create that kind of description...

I think most can, they just don't want to. You can do Peace Corps and travel, teach english abroad, stay in hostels, wwoof, study abroad, au pair, take a gap year etc. I think anybody traveling that broadly around the U.S. could just as easily do other countries. Maybe not shacked up in Paris and London, but certainly cheaper areas of Europe like Spain, Italy, Greece, Central and South America, Asia, etc. I think most of the HuffPost audience is college educated so...yeah. A lot of universities have reasonable study abroad options these days that can be funded with student loans/grants, and most allow for side excursions. My undergrad school def offered several options in London and Paris though, along with Peru, Turkey, China, etc.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
You can't travel after you're in your 20s? I didn't realize that. Guess my wife and I only have 8 years to go before we shrivel up. (sarcasm)

Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Yeah its Huff Post, they right some good material every now and then in terms of travel writing, and sometimes they write garbage. I liked this list though, it's pretty well rouned. The Twenties are a fun and free spirited time in life to travel and explore America. Would you agree with this list? This list ranges from cities large to small, from usual suspects to unexpected. Say your in you're 20's and your doing a roadtrip across country, what's the bucket list?

1- Nashville, TN
2- Asheville, NC
3- Portland, OR
4- Denver, CO
5- Kansas City, MO
6- Seattle, WA
7- New Orleans
8- Austin, TX
9- Missoula, MT
10- Burlington, VT
11- Eureka, CA
12- Eugene, OR
13- Minneapolis, MN
14- Omaha, NE
15- Bisbee, AZ
16- Anchorage, AK
17- Ocean City, MD
18- Honolulu, HI
19- Albuquerque, NM
20- Savannah, GA
There are about 3 cities on that list that I had even the slightest interest in, during my twenties, which was practically yesterday.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
You can't travel after you're in your 20s? I didn't realize that. Guess my wife and I only have 8 years to go before we shrivel up. (sarcasm)
It's harder to do long term traveling after that age usually, up until you are retirement age more or less. I'm not talking about a week vacation, I'm talking about traveling for months at a time or a gap year...The 20's , esp the gap between h.s. college, after college, or the gap b/t ug/grad, between a job/career change etc you can do this and not get dinged much in terms of your life either in terms of job options, having children, having more bills, etc. I'm sure you can still do it, but it's more difficult with more responsibilities that one would usually accumulate as they age. 30 is also a cut off range for many types of youth / student work visas and discounts on rail travel, etc.

Just one example:
http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/462.aspx cut off at 30

http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes/...outh-discounts
cut off at 26...

Canada/UK/Australia/New Zealand/Germany are better set up for easing travel at these ages than the U.S. is through youth mobility schemes and people in their 20's there are far more likely to do extensive traveling than U.S. youth. Gap years are more part of the culture there. Belgium also offers a 1 year sabbatical for employees and partially funds it.

Last edited by grapico; 11-09-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:

1- Nashville, TN
2- Asheville, NC
3- Portland, OR
4- Denver, CO
5- Kansas City, MO
6- Seattle, WA
7- New Orleans
8- Austin, TX
9- Missoula, MT
10- Burlington, VT
11- Eureka, CA
12- Eugene, OR
13- Minneapolis, MN
14- Omaha, NE
15- Bisbee, AZ
16- Anchorage, AK
17- Ocean City, MD
18- Honolulu, HI
19- Albuquerque, NM
20- Savannah, GA
It's kind of a funny list because they throw in the usual medium sized city suspects(Seattle, Portland, Austin, Minneapolis,Denver, etc) along with some college towns(Burlington, Eugene, Missoula) and some cool southern cultural hubs(New Orleans and Savannah), but then they throw in Eureka, California and Anchorage. I can't really speak to Omaha and Kansas City, though they're probably underrated(considering they're hardly mentioned at all as places to visit).

Anchorage could be fun if you want to be close to the mountains and wilderness(well, the rest of Alaska basically), but I've never heard it as being that exciting a city for people in their twenties from people from there. Most people would just use Anchorage as a starting point, but then head off into the hinterland. Eureka is sort of a strange bird--it's the biggest town right on the west coast north of San Francisco all the way to Puget Sound, but it's still pretty small and isolated. Arcata is okay for a college town right near there, but it gets really quiet once school isn't in session. I mean, it's beautiful in a Pacific Northwest-feel sort of way, but the whole area always felt a little boring to me in terms of stuff to do when I'd visit, though maybe Eureka has changed since the last time I visited(like 5 years ago). But the downtown always seemed pretty dead despite having nice old buildings. But it wouldn't be a top pick to visit really---I could find other small towns in California that are more fun.

Bisbee is a cool town, but it's a really small sort of artsy mountain/desert town, that's worth a brief stop. I mean as far as places to visit in your twenties, I'd say that maybe a plane ticket to somewhere in Central America or South America or Southeast Asia if you could afford it would be more exciting. The cities on the list are all okay for the most part, I assume they wanted to leave off obvious big city travel destinations like New York or Miami, but I mean I was just a few years back still in my twenties, and a lot of the places I was interested in travelling to in the US were either the big famous cities or cultural hubs or naturally scenic destinations in the mountains or towards the warmer coastal beach areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.