Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,464 times

Advertisements

Austin, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 15,487 times
Thanks everyone for taking time to reply to this! I appreciate it!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM

132 posts, read 545,807 times
I second Minneapolis. It has a relatively low cost of living and offers so much in terms of the arts. It has the second largest theatre scene in the country (behind NYC), but MPLS does a lot more experimental stuff. The Walker is my favorite contemporary art museum in the world. MPLS has the largest fringe festival in the country, the largest organic foods co-op in the country (The Wedge), and the fourth largest LGBT population (so, it's liberal and diverse).

Old 11-15-2013, 12:10 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Have you contemplated St. Louis? The primary reason that I wanted to come back here and raise my children here is because of the abundance of free and affordable cultural amenities. St. Louis has wonderful museums, galleries and theaters! We do get arguably hot Summers (although to me they're tolerable, and they're relatively short), and while we do get winters, they aren't as bad as Chicago's.

Also, Chicago is very easy access for a weekend trip, and will be even easier in the not too distant future once the high speed rail link is completed.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:38 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Louisville and Cincinnati are nearby and might suit your needs. I especially like the northern KY suburbs because they have an urban feel, are very walkable, and best of all cheap.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM

75 posts, read 117,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearauntsally View Post
Hi! I hope you can help us.

My family is looking to relocate to a new city in the next year or so. Maybe you can help us think of a city?

Here's some facts about us:

We're both 23 years old and have a 1 year old son.

We both really love the community, culture & rich history of many European towns. We would move to Europe if it was that easy. We would like to be able to walk to local cafes, have actual public transportation (Nashville suuuuuuucks), culture, art museums, etc.

Although we live in a wealthy suburb of Nashville, we are low income. Very low income. We live here because we needed his family's help during the first year of parenthood, but we both agree it's time to move on. Most of the homes around here cost at least 500k and rent is at least $1200 for a 2bm. I pride myself in being thrifty and found a really nice apartment for 800/month. But I hate it here. I don't want to raise my son here. I'm thankful that we live in such a safe place, but it's, simply put, boring. I don't feel satisfied or proud of where I live.

I am an artist and he is a musician. I am currently a trainer at Whole Foods and about to finish my Human Resources degree. He is about to finish a Biology degree.

We don't care about luxury or expensive things. A rich culture is important. Lots of art and diversity please. Good food. Obviously with a young child safety is a concern, but not enough to move to the suburbs.

We're thinking Chicago, but the winters scare me!! Everything else seems great, but I've never encountered more than an inch of snow!!
We're also considering Portland for many reasons, but it is really far away from our families. It's an 8 hr drive from Chicago to Nashville, but would require a plane ticket from Portland. We love our families and still want to visit at least twice a year.

We also like Chattanooga and Asheville, which are close, but not the city experience we really want.

What do you think??
Definitely New Orleans

Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Cleveland is currently offering some insanely cheap options to help attract artists...and there is a good transportation system. And food and European culture (especially Eastern European and Italian) :

Cleveland Is Ready To Rock: Are You?

Cleveland is seeing a revival | New York Post

Here are a few neighborhoods offering incentives:

http://welcometocollinwood.com/

http://www.gordonsquare.org/

Last edited by costello_musicman; 11-15-2013 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 PM

30 posts, read 29,136 times
Portland, Oregon

Old 11-16-2013, 02:30 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Did you see the poor part, JCM? It's right up there in the title of the thread.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Something like this may work: Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube
More from this neighborhood: Living in the Elmwood Community - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.