Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

Which one do you say?

and when you hear supper what do you think of?

and when you hear dinner what do you think of?

to me.... supper sounds old fashioned and someone that lives a country lifestlye or just a small town person would say it

to me.... dinner sounds more sophicticated and more proper and more of a city term, I think of the Housewifes of Orange County hosting a "dinner" party for all their friends

although I do say both words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:50 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Dinner
When I hear "supper" I think of a 5+ course meal with beacoup silverware and crusty old people with even older money.
When I hear "dinner" I think of the average person eating for the evening.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, it was always "dinner" for the evening meal, but "supper" could be occasionally used for the evening meal.

However, when my family travelled to Michigan most every summer, "supper" was usually midday.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

My father, the old Missouri boy, used to say Breakfast. Dinner, Supper. When we invited them over for Dinner we always had to say.... THE EVENING MEAL. Just so he would get it.

I think that in the past often the midday meal was the largest meal of the day, the DINNER. In the evening meal being lighter - possibly of a hearty soup, etc. According to the The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology an alternate Medieval spelling of supper is Souper, indicating perhaps that it was intended to be a lighter meal than the mid-day meal.

This would make sense in an agricultural context when, after a hard days work in the fields you would not want a really heavy meal, whereas, the mid-day meal, designed to give you energy to make it through the rest of the day would be the main DINNER meal.

Or something like that. LOL

20yrsinBranson
blabbing on. LOL

Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
I think Rachel Ray says supper.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
I say dinner. I just picture some old blue blood type from Savannah somewhere saying "Gentlemen, gentlemen, and ladies...befah suppah, I'd like to offah up a grand toast to all in attendance." Of course dude would have the bow tie and monocle on while addressing the group.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
I say dinner for the evening meal. But I also hear supper a lot for the evening meal. It's usually used by country people here.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I say dinner. I just picture some old blue blood type from Savannah somewhere saying "Gentlemen, gentlemen, and ladies...befah suppah, I'd like to offah up a grand toast to all in attendance." Of course dude would have the bow tie and monocle on while addressing the group.
Exactly
That's the exact same picture I had.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
To me dinner just sounds right. Both of my grandmothers say supper but none of my aunts or uncles use it and my mom always said dinner. I usually ask "Is dinner ready yet?" and the reply will be "Dinner'll be ready in 30 minutes." (dinner'll is dinner will, ran together).

Last edited by David Alleyne; 11-29-2009 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Supper makes me think of simple farm or country folk from back east (Midwest or South). Supper is like someone calling a bag a "sack." It just sounds totally antiquated and the people I come across who say "supper" are often antiquated themselves. I have family who grew up in Southern Colorado when it was more down home Plains-y and they call it supper frequently, but also say dinner.

My family from California and all my friends in the Northwest all say dinner. In high school, some of my friends made fun of a mutual friend from Iowa who said "supper" instead of dinner.

Dinner is just the normal term. "I had a take-and-bake pizza for dinner tonight, and tomorrow I'm going to make a Serbian potato bake for dinner." I can also see it as being a big formal event like... "The Ronald McDonald House of Portland is hosting a benefit dinner next Sunday."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.