Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

^^What she said! On the Denver forum, I love the "see ourselves as others see us" posts. Some of these comments were surprisingly critical, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think you can opt out. But you have to give them a gmail/facebook account.
They detected my Gmail account, just by my opening that link, even though I did not choose to join. And now, I am on their mailing list for their weekly digest. Please remove the above link to the Quora site,, which is tantamount to a virus. I can opt out of the weekly digest email, but I can't opt out of the fact that I am ineradicably baked into their system forever, as a "Quora member" who has chosen to not receive the email.

I expect the other posters above who went to that link will also discover the weekly digest in their Gmail Inbox today.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-20-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 09:45 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Having just come back from a trip to Europe this is a fascinating thread.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:41 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, she loved it here. I was so impressed she loved NJ, and took time out of her busy NYC touring schedule to visit it!

She did typical NYC things. Took a ride on the Staten Island Ferry and back, took pictures with a lot of the NYPD she randomly found on the streets, took pictures of every building, car, tree , literally everything. She walked through Central Park, Times Square, rode the subway. I think she went to the Statue of Liberty and took one of those open top tour buses through Manhattan, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure whether she visited outer boroughs, and SI doesn't count because they only rode the ferry there and straight back like most tourists do. I think they may have stepped outside to the front of the terminal at St. George and hung out for a bit but I know they didn't venture out much more than that. Overall, it was a very typical NYC visit spent doing typical touristy things. She was obsessed with architecture in the US, specifically in the city and what she found in NJ. She was also kind of obsessed with our cars - I guess they're bigger than what she's used to. She can't wait to visit again and told me she wants to move to New Jersey. She is such a huge Bruce fan that she felt immensely connected to NJ. She could closely relate to every place she saw that had to do with Bruce, and in the Jersey Shore area, specifically Asbury Park area, there are quite a few. She had quite an amazing experience, one I wish every tourist would have. She completely loved the US - well, at least what she saw of it. I'm not saying I want every person to love it here, that is obviously not going to happen, but she had an open mind. She didn't criticize one thing to me, she was eager to learn about our culture and everything NYC and NJ and to a greater extent, everything America. That is how I wish tourists would be, instead of creating stupid lists of things to complain about, like in that link, most of them trivial and cultural.

I went to Italy two years ago and negative things about it didn't even cross my mind as I was there. I was so excited to be somewhere new, learn about Italy and its people and explore. Did I notice some things I disliked or that annoyed me in the moment, like the quality of technology and electricity in the hotels I stayed in (and they were nice - not crappy little places), sure I did. But at the end of the day, 1, I was in Italy and who cares if I had a hard time turning the TV on or turning the light off or charging my phone - I spent most of my time touring anyway, and 2, I'm not going to sit here and compile a list of things about Italy that I disliked or wasn't used to because I am from America. I recognize that each country, even regions within each country, are different than what I'm used to so I'm going to shut my mouth and enjoy being in Italy. You know? That's all I want to say about that.
Sounded like she really had a blast! It will definitely be interesting to see her explore the rest of the East Coast and the entire country from Maine to Hawaii. I think she'll have an incredible time checking out the rest of the country and various regional cultures as well, hopefully she won't be overwhelmed though lol.

And I would love to visit Italia one day! Did you checked out Rome, Venice, Naples, and/or Milan as well as the Italian countryside? What were some of your favorite highlights of the country if you also don't mind me asking?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
And I would love to visit Italia one day! Did you checked out Rome, Venice, Naples, and/or Milan as well as the Italian countryside? What were some of your favorite highlights of the country if you also don't mind me asking?
I spent 2-3 days in Rome and visited the Vatican then our tour bus took us down to the Amalfi Coast, where we spent 5 days in a hotel in Vietri sul Mare. It's right outside Salerno. From there we took 1-2 hour day trips to coastal towns and cities, including Paestum, Ravello, Positano, Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri. We visited Naples last and from there went straight back to Rome for about another day and we flew back home. Not sure why we didn't fly out of Naples, but we were on a tour so it was an itinerary we didn't plan.

It was so much fun! Our guide was from New York City and obviously spoke fluent Italian, and most of our tour group was from New York - Brooklyn and Long Island. Some others from NJ, one couple from Texas, one from PA, and one from Los Angeles. We had a blast. We really connected with the New Yorkers, being so similar - and also, most of them are Italian-American as I am.

I really recommend the Amalfi Coast. We could have picked the tour that brought us to all the major cities, i.e. Milan, Venice, Florence, but we picked the coastal one because I wanted to see/stay on the Mediterranean, it was a lighter trip - required less travel time, less jumping around the country - and it was the only tour that guaranteed we went to Pompeii, which I really wanted to see. Pompeii was amazing but unfortunately they removed most of the artifacts to put in museums and moving exhibits, so there wasn't much to see. Naples was very dirty, they don't have a citywide trash service so garbage lays out in the streets. People here think NYC is dirty, they should visit Naples. Rome was incredible, one of my favorite parts of the trip was visiting the Coliseum. I also loved Vietri sul Mare, it was a stunning little town. I'm a history buff so I was in heaven in Italy. It was just so amazing, I hope to go back soon.

Trying to stay on topic here (sorry!), when I visited Capri, one lady in a shop in Anacapri asked me where I was from, in very simple English. I said New Jersey and she said, "Oh, lots of Italians there!" It was funny. Also one waiter at a restaurant in Rome outside Vatican City was new on the job. I know this because a relative I went with speaks fluent Italian, so she could understand him unbeknownst to him and his coworker. We ordered one small margherita pizza for four of us around lunchtime, and the waiter asked his colleague why we didn't order more food. The other waiter explained to him that we are Americans, and in America, lunch is not our biggest meal, dinner is. He explained that we generally eat dinner between 5 and 7, while Italians' biggest meal is earlier and they have a small dinner between 8 and 10. It was interesting that the new waiter asked this, it's stuck out in my mind.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 PM

462 posts, read 719,867 times
Funny how they notice a lot of the things that I hate about today's America as things that are different about their country. I may relocate in the future...

Old 11-24-2013, 06:55 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Interesting. Some of the comments in the article from immigrants from third world countries are a nice reminder that, no matter how backwards this country seems in comparison to other first world countries, we're still more egalitarian than most of the world.. for example, the comment about addressing one's boss by first name, service jobs filled with young people of varying socioeconomic status, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.