Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:37 PM

134 posts, read 399,402 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I am currently living in AZ. While I love it, I am very far from family, most of of whom are on the east coast. I have a twin sister in Sunrise, Fl but the cost of living is too high there and the salaries are too low... also.. my husband is asthmatic so we are worried about the humid weather, originally living in NY most of our lives. I have a medical problem which limits me to places that do not get very cold, that is why we came up with AZ. However, the holiday being today is a reminder of how difficult it is to be so far from family.

I would consider Florida if the cost of living was lower and salaries higher (it doesn't get cold and we've dealt with the humidity before). We also considered Austin, TX but it is still pretty far, we heard the healthcare system is horrendous for people with disabilabilities and the variability of weather there is a huge deterrent and would wreak havoc on my body.

So, here are the things most important to us. We know a city will NOT have all of these things but if you know of a place that comes close, I'd love to hear about it. We also considered Atlanta, but heard they get winters.

- Nice people
-Mild or no winter (not many days below 50)
-Culture and nightlife
-SAFE!!!
-lowER cost of living
-reasonable salaries (we know they won't be like NY)
-public transportation
-good healthcare system
-preferably near some water or mountains- nice scenery
- easy to get to east coast (direct flights, unlike austin, tx)

I know that is a long list, but if you can share any thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks sooooooo much and happy thanksgiving to you!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
North Carolina sounds like your bet. South Carolina is even cheaper, but it's very, ah, "southern".

Old 11-22-2007, 07:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Doesn't exist. Nothing even close exists. Closest bet is Jacksonville, FL, although you aren't going to find any areas in the continental US where nights below 50 are infrequent other than South Florida. Not even North or Central Florida.

Overall, with your request, you should try Jacksonville, FL. Pretty good healthcare, but it gets nippy sometimes in the winter (40s and 30s are quite common at night), the job market is just as weak as other FL cities but the cost of living is much lower. Crime rate shows high statistically, but it's easy to avoid the bad areas. I would be recommending North Carolina if it weren't for the climate and pollution, which has great jobs and healthcare.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:05 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,110 times
Houston is your closest bet. Check out areas inside the 610 loop around the universities (Rice, UH, etc. ) for nice areas. Lots of culture and very cosmopolitan, it is the 4th biggest city in the states. Housing isn't expensive and it never gets cold.

As for scenery, you'll be near the Gulf Coast. Public transit will be better once the finish the light rail system in 2012, but from what I hear you can get around now if you need to.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:43 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
To the OP:

I hate to say this; but, unless you can deal with humidity, your best bet is right where you are-------Arizona.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I agree. It sounds like you're already in the place that meets most of your criteria. Start racking up those frequent flyer miles to visit the fam.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:11 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
state/city with good weather, low cost of living, good job market, safe, and culture!

If you build it, they will come . . .

Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,335 times
Default nankjay

HI Vero, Please trying to relocate and Im seeking help with AZ area. Trying to find the samething you are seeking in a place to live friendly people, jobs housing and safe areas. Please tell me is it nice Please email info if you can or tell me if you found something else because im seeking that good life . miami, florida is getting really nastly humans in this city

Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 8,365 times
Default Las Vegas, Nevada

I currently live in Los Angeles, California so I often take drives down to Las Vegas. It's always growing, expanding and living expenses there are quite cheap! You can rent a 3 bedroom house for the price of a 2 bedroom apartment in Los Angeles. Not to mention the nightlife! But to be honest a city is what you make of it. If you love where you live. You will stay there no matter what.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,706 times
I hesitate to say it because I don't want everyone in the world to move here, but St George, Utah is pretty phenomenal! It does get below 50 in the winter, but winters are nonetheless very mild. I'm an Arizona girl myself, and St George is a lot like home...with awesome red rocks, lots to do, not too big, not too small, a small-ish airport in town (and Vegas is just two hours away.) There might not be the best paying jobs, but I can't say for sure on that one. My absolute favorite thing here is the Tuacahn amphitheater with AMAZING Broadway shows! Zion National Park (and many other national parks) are close. There are a lot of nice people...a high concentration of Latter-day Saints. There is a university here, which is awesome. I admit, though, I am curious if there are many other places just like St. George, as I love everything about it, but sometimes I'd like to experience something outside of the "Utah bubble"...which you couldn't really understand unless you've lived here. But it is really quite a safe place to raise children, with great schools, too! (Very little public transport!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.