Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 9,087 times

Advertisements

Dear All out there-

I am a 29 yr old single female - I'm a mountain loving, earthy girl, in search of a vibrant music scene (love bluegrass, folk, acoustic stuff) a community of spiritualists, cultured and grounded people. Meditator. Liberal. Down to earth. T-shirt and jeans. Love to laugh and just "be." Finding it difficult to find my peeps. I've been told mid-westerners are the "down to earth" types, but I don't want to be landlocked.

For work - I have done different things, but am a NYS Licensed Massage Therapist hoping to one day open an Acupressure, Shamanic Drumming, Intuitive Coaching, Journaling private practice. (Haha, OK I'm not a hippy, I promise!)

Here is what I've researched on here already

AZ (Prescott, Flagstaff, Sedona) - Way too expensive, too overrun with tourists, not a lot of jobs (?)
NC (Asheville) too hippy dippy? (Chapel Hill) heard it was a bit snooty. (?)
VT - SO COLD! BRRRRR And humid. But I do like the sense of independence there, and of course the mountains - though they are not the Rockies (I'm spoiled) Also a bit pricey, and perhaps a little too small. (Pop >7,000 makes me think it's not good for businesses. And people will just go to another town.)

Lived in:
Savannah, GA - too much crime, felt very far away from my "roots" (Italian) But beautiful ocean, etc. No interest living in the south, though.
Boulder, CO - Liked it was liberal, "weird", awesome library and bike trails (LOVE THE MOUNTAINS! Very magical) But it felt like a bubble - just not reality.
Portland, OR: Too hipster. WAY TOO many people.

Live in Upstate NY now. A little behind in the times. Too humid. Feel like I don't belong in any of the cities I've lived in here. Boring.

Can anyone shed some light on this Utopia-seeking search?

Blessings!!

~SingingTurtle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Ithaca, seriously.....

Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingTurtle View Post
VT - SO COLD! BRRRRR And humid. But I do like the sense of independence there, and of course the mountains - though they are not the Rockies (I'm spoiled) Also a bit pricey, and perhaps a little too small. (Pop >7,000 makes me think it's not good for businesses. And people will just go to another town.) ...... Live in Upstate NY now. A little behind in the times. Too humid. Feel like I don't belong in any of the cities I've lived in here. Boring.

Blessings!!

~SingingTurtle
I am sensing some mixed feelings on VT and given your experience with upstate NY I would suggest Dover, New Hampshire or Portland, Maine. These areas are near the ocean and a bit milder than VT but they are also close to mountains. I have been told that some people commute from the Portland area across NH to VT so I presume both the White and Green mountains would be accessible from Dover and Portland. Both of these places are larger and more vibrant than VT. The people are down to earth and very accepting of others who are down to earth. Both cities are locally known for embracing the arts.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Dear All out there-

I am a 29 yr old single female - I'm a mountain loving, earthy girl, in search of a vibrant music scene (love bluegrass, folk, acoustic stuff) a community of spiritualists, cultured and grounded people. Meditator. Liberal. Down to earth. T-shirt and jeans. Love to laugh and just "be." Finding it difficult to find my peeps. I've been told mid-westerners are the "down to earth" types, but I don't want to be landlocked.
I like most of these things just not liberal and not a girl, i've seem to fit in in the Mountain West states (Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Colorado). really miss that part of the country, such beautiful scenery that almost brings tears to your eyes.

Missoula, Montana is a pretty laid back college town in the mountains.
Good music scene, nice little theaters downtown to see local bands.
Only problem is that its landlocked

Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Dear All out there-

For work - I have done different things, but am a NYS Licensed Massage Therapist hoping to one day open an Acupressure, Shamanic Drumming, Intuitive Coaching, Journaling private practice. (Haha, OK I'm not a hippy, I promise!)
Asheville isn't "too hippy dippy" and by far hits your criteria best in my opinion. If you haven't visited, you need to make a point of it...trust me, go!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I am sensing some mixed feelings on VT and given your experience with upstate NY I would suggest Dover, New Hampshire or Portland, Maine.
+++ on Portland Maine
I lived in VT for a while and went there with the same preconceived notion many, many people have of VT, that being a liberal, artsy state with lots of hippies and such. Like the cover of the Woodstock album, or sumptin'
While there are a few places that live up to that perception, more don't. While I like Vermont, its really not different than most other rural areas. Lots of provincial, close-mindedness and lots of anti-"flatlander" attitude. Cultural stuff exists, but you might have to make a little more of an effort to partake of it than you like, depending on where you live. Dark and expensive round out the pleasantries you should expect, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Asheville isn't "too hippy dippy" and by far hits your criteria best in my opinion. If you haven't visited, you need to make a point of it...trust me, go!
I love Asheville! We looked into living there before KY, but for we two oldies, no work and a little too car oriented for me, but, if I were the OP, I would definitely visit there and the Black Mountain area too, for slightly cheaper housing

Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 PM

623 posts, read 957,488 times
Quote:
Dear All out there-

Here is what I've researched on here already

AZ (Prescott, Flagstaff, Sedona) - Way too expensive, too overrun with tourists, not a lot of jobs (?)
NC (Asheville) too hippy dippy? (Chapel Hill) heard it was a bit snooty. (?)
VT - SO COLD! BRRRRR And humid. But I do like the sense of independence there, and of course the mountains - though they are not the Rockies (I'm spoiled) Also a bit pricey, and perhaps a little too small. (Pop >7,000 makes me think it's not good for businesses. And people will just go to another town.)

Lived in:
Savannah, GA - too much crime, felt very far away from my "roots" (Italian) But beautiful ocean, etc. No interest living in the south, though.
Boulder, CO - Liked it was liberal, "weird", awesome library and bike trails (LOVE THE MOUNTAINS! Very magical) But it felt like a bubble - just not reality.
Portland, OR: Too hipster. WAY TOO many people.

Live in Upstate NY now. A little behind in the times. Too humid. Feel like I don't belong in any of the cities I've lived in here. Boring.

Blessings!!

~SingingTurtle
Homer or Talkeetna Alaska sound like your type of towns. Homer has a fairly mild climate.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 PM

132 posts, read 545,584 times
So you want a place with a lot of hippies but not too many hippies?
If you can handle the heat, Tucson might be what your looking for. It's far more liberal than the rest of the state, great university, good music, Mexican food, awesome mountains, laid-back attitude toward life, and a low cost of living. It's landlocked, but it's just 5 hours to San Diego.

Otherwise, I second the idea of Missoula, MT. You may wanna check out Northampton, MA, Eugene, OR, or Olympia, WA.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 PM

63 posts, read 107,005 times
The grocery store around Easter and Xmas is a good time to find lots of peeps. The like to loiter on the shelves.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 PM

8 posts, read 9,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC123 View Post
The grocery store around Easter and Xmas is a good time to find lots of peeps. The like to loiter on the shelves.
LOL!! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.