U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 02:50 PM

17 posts, read 22,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
That seems to be one consistency,the food definitely plays a big part.
It could be, we dont have gmo food, but it doesnt mean they dont put chemical crap in foods here. My dad is 5'11" and mom is 5'6", my dads younger brother is 6'1", my mums one year younger brother is 6'1" and second younger brother 6'2"/3" im not sure somewhere like that. Majority of my friends are 6 foot and over im counting friends from middle school, high school and college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 04:17 PM

260 posts, read 340,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthfox94 View Post
Good lord, I'm 5'10" and rarely feel short in Maryland. I think the National average height for men is around 5'9"-5'10" I guess Minnesota really is a giant place.
That post was definitely an exaggeration. I live in Wisconsin and travel to Minnesota frequently and I'd say around a quarter of people are 5'10'' or shorter. I can't imagine someone 5'11' being considered super short.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:13 AM

Id say Utah is also one of the tallest, according to Utah in numbers source avg height for a man is 5'10.8" i dont know if its trustful source. I've seen some mormons, there are 5'9" guys but also 6'1" too.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:45 PM

I dont know how come i cant edit my previous post but:

Nebraska: 5'11''
Utah: 5'10.8''

Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 PM

3,588 posts, read 1,810,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isko96 View Post
I dont know how come i cant edit my previous post but:

Nebraska: 5'11''
Utah: 5'10.8''
I have lived in both Utah and Nebraska before and here is the trend in my opinion.

Utah as far as ancestry has a very large Danish population and a very large English population. Many people are Danish/English ancestry mix. There is a much larger Swedish percentage then the typical western state also.

I don't think Utah residents are tall, but I would say the are about average. It seems like most guys there are between 5'9 and 6 foot. I don't see as much of a range in height in Utah as other states, although sometimes that is the case.

Nebraska I see much more of a range in height in Utah. I would say on average Nebraska is taller then Utah but just slightly. It is not out of the ordinary to see a large variance in height in one store in Nebraska.

Nebraska certainly isn't as tall as Minnesota which is unusually tall for some reason. Minnesota in fact is quite a bit taller then North Dakotans and South Dakotans.

North Dakota has lots and lots of Russians from Germany that in my opinion aren't tall at all.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have lived in both Utah and Nebraska before and here is the trend in my opinion.

Utah as far as ancestry has a very large Danish population and a very large English population. Many people are Danish/English ancestry mix. There is a much larger Swedish percentage then the typical western state also.

I don't think Utah residents are tall, but I would say the are about average. It seems like most guys there are between 5'9 and 6 foot. I don't see as much of a range in height in Utah as other states, although sometimes that is the case.

Nebraska I see much more of a range in height in Utah. I would say on average Nebraska is taller then Utah but just slightly. It is not out of the ordinary to see a large variance in height in one store in Nebraska.

Nebraska certainly isn't as tall as Minnesota which is unusually tall for some reason. Minnesota in fact is quite a bit taller then North Dakotans and South Dakotans.

North Dakota has lots and lots of Russians from Germany that in my opinion aren't tall at all.
Seems about right. So 179cm in Utah, 180cm in Nebraska. Nebraska has same avg height like my town, and every day i see dudes who are 5'10'' to 6'5''. But most people here are 5'11'' and up. Most of shorter people in my area are people who are 50+ years old.

But these stats i found were from here http://www.deseretnews.com/article/3...e-numbers.html and for Nebraska http://journalstar.com/news/local/ne...d70ab2dbc.html

Old 09-29-2016, 04:35 PM

159 posts, read 182,672 times
Just a random guess

Tallest: Wisconsin

Shortest: California

Old 09-29-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I dont know about Minnesota, on reddit one guy said when he traveled over there it didnt seem much different from the rest of the country, seahawksfan33 also confirms it he posted few comments in this thread, so i think Winconsin is the tallest state.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:58 PM

Id say tallest Wisconsin and Minnesota and shortest Arizona, Cali and Florida

Old 10-01-2016, 04:56 AM

260 posts, read 340,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isko96 View Post
I dont know about Minnesota, on reddit one guy said when he traveled over there it didnt seem much different from the rest of the country, seahawksfan33 also confirms it he posted few comments in this thread, so i think Winconsin is the tallest state.
Living in Wisconsin I'd probably say this is the tallest state. No noticeable difference in height between here and Minnesota really. One of my Minnesota friends is 6'1'' and actually says he was usually in the top 1/4 of his classmates in height but in Madison he feels about average. I'd say the average White male here is around 6'0''-6'1'', but there is a wide range of height. Around 15% of men are 6'4''+.

I'm quite amazed every time I travel to Chicago's North side. Average height is probably 2-3 inches shorter than here, and so few people over 6'2''. My 5'9'' friend goes from being taller than 15% of people to almost average height.

It's not even necessarily a Germanic/Nordic thing. I've been to heavily Norwegian parts of the state and the people are no taller than anywhere else. Even people who claim to be mostly Irish or Eastern European seem to be taller than Northeast folk of the same background. There's a family I know where all the males are 6'5+ and they're English/Irish.

Last edited by blainnyc; 10-01-2016 at 05:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or