Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:34 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times

Advertisements

Tallest is in the upper Midwest, for the most part (due to Scandinavian ancestry).
Can't speak for shortest.
I'm 5'6" (male, obviously) and I'm definitely considered quite short here in Maryland, but not so short as to be an outlier. Whereas in Minnesota, everyone basically towered over me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
The shortest people are definitely in the northeast, hands down. Tons of Italians (including myself....I'm only 5'6). When I travel to the rest of the nation, I feel VERY short compared to other men, and it's annoying. I couldn't believe how tall everyone was in the San Diego (as far as white men go). The west coast in general has lots of tall people, as well as the upper Midwest.

That means I have to stay living in the northeast forever, otherwise I will never fit in elsewhere, height wise.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The shortest people are definitely in the northeast, hands down. Tons of Italians (including myself....I'm only 5'6). When I travel to the rest of the nation, I feel VERY short compared to other men, and it's annoying. I couldn't believe how tall everyone was in the San Diego (as far as white men go). The west coast in general has lots of tall people, as well as the upper Midwest.

That means I have to stay living in the northeast forever, otherwise I will never fit in elsewhere, height wise.
There's a reason the good Lord created platform shoes.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
There's a reason the good Lord created platform shoes.
Haha, yes, right after Genesis and the creation of Earth, God got to work on platform shoes. It's in the Bible....

Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
How many of those Irish are really of fully Irish ancestry? There are many Irish-Italian mixes in north east and Irish seem to be a fancy ancestry to claim, even people who are 1/4 Irish or less seem to be likely to claim being Irish lol.
LOL, that's true. I'm 2nd generation Irish-American and am 6'2. There are plenty of short Irish people though.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:09 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
New York City is pretty short on average, I trumped over a lot of people in my high school being 5'10. Now I'm in an upstate college and I'm one of the shorter ones

Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 AM

399 posts, read 819,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallyTrask View Post
"I would expect that North Dakota is taller than Minnesota (more Scandinavian)" I wanted to reply to the person that posted this comment because it's totally incaccurate. Minnesota has the most scandinavian ancestry in the nation per capita. California is close in sheer number, can't remember if they have more; but I know for a fact that Minnesota outranks any other state percentage-wise--and they're (we're) a proud group to be of this heritage. I must add, German, Irish, and Scandinavian makes for a very attractive people also
No, North Dakota has a higher percentage of Scandinavian ancestry:

North Dakota: 36.1 %
Minnesota: 32.1 %

MN has just the highest number with 1.5 million Americans of Scandinavian ancestry

Old 03-18-2014, 02:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
No, North Dakota has a higher percentage of Scandinavian ancestry:

North Dakota: 36.1 %
Minnesota: 32.1 %

MN has just the highest number with 1.5 million Americans of Scandinavian ancestry
one needs to keep in mind that a bus-load of Swedes traveling through North Dakota from Hibbing to Montana while the census was being taken, likely was the difference between Minnesota's 32.1% and North Dakota's 36.1%

Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 AM

403 posts, read 666,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
There's plenty of information on the Internet about what state has the fattest residents (sorry, Mississippi and Louisiana), but what state has the tallest? My sense is that the further west you go the taller the people get.

I'm from Nevada where I was pretty average height, but I tower over everyone here in Maryland.

Tallest:
1. North Dakota
2. Washington
3. Iowa
4. Minnesota (I'm sorry, but there aren't many tall individuals out of the twin cities from what I've noticed. I tower over most individuals when out of them).
5. Georgia.

Shortest:
1. California (a 5'10" guy alone would feel real tall there).
2. New York (although I have walked by a few taller individuals in New York City, but that's because you're bound to in the densest city when it has nearly 9 million people or 12 million counting tourists)
3. Hawaii
4. Texas
5. Florida (I rarely come across people who are even 5'11" there)
6. New Mexico
7. Arizona (how come nobody has mentioned this one? Most are short, but they tend to be very muscular from what I've noticed)
8. Oregon (I've rarely noticed tall individuals there, and I tower over my friends who were born there and live there).
9. Missouri (I live there and I tower over nearly everybody at about 6'2")
10. Louisiana (it ties with Alabama)

Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
Tallest:
1. North Dakota
2. Washington
3. Iowa
4. Minnesota (I'm sorry, but there aren't many tall individuals out of the twin cities from what I've noticed. I tower over most individuals when out of them).
5. Georgia.

Shortest:
1. California (a 5'10" guy alone would feel real tall there).
2. New York (although I have walked by a few taller individuals in New York City, but that's because you're bound to in a city with nearly 9 million people or 12 million counting tourists)
3. Hawaii
4. Texas
5. Florida (I rarely come across people who are even 5'11" there)
6. New Mexico
7. Arizona (how come nobody has mentioned this one? Most are short, but they tend to be very muscular from what I've noticed)
8. Oregon (I've rarely noticed tall individuals there, and I tower over my friends who were born there and live there).
9. Missouri (I live there and I tower over nearly everybody at about 6'2")
10. Louisiana (it ties with Alabama)
Are you kidding me? California has some of the tallest men I have ever seen. At least in SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.