Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:17 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
. I frequently see entire groups of students who are all at least two inches taller than myself.

I visited Chicago recently, and I'd say the average male height was at least two inches below Madison, and I barely saw anyone over 6'4". I'm taller than maybe 60% of people in Madison, but probably 85% of people on the Northside of Chicago.
So much for the city of big shoulders eh?...

As for the students,I've noticed the younger generations are taller in general across the board. It must be all the growth hormones in the foods...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 PM

260 posts, read 433,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
So much for the city of big shoulders eh?...

As for the students,I've noticed the younger generations are taller in general across the board. It must be all the growth hormones in the foods...
Yeah I've definitely noticed that too. But I see plenty of older people in Wisconsin who tower over me, and even the young people in Chicago were short compared to Wisconsinites.

My friend, also a male student at UW, stands a 5'9'' and says he's among the bottom 10-15% of white students generally and bottom 20% of male Wisconsinites as a whole, but in Chicago he felt pretty much in the average height range.

Last edited by blainnyc; 07-19-2016 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 09:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I've long suspected that peoples' height in different regions probably have less to do with heredity and are probably mostly influenced by the varying differences in the strengths of the "Gravity Pockets" in those areas which would tend to effect growth upwards.

This can be best demonstrated by the faults that run along the Western US, allowing internal gravity to leak out and result in the unusual height of the Redwoods and Sequoias in that area.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,385 times
I live in south dakota and would say im pretty average height and weight here for a guy maybe an inch taller then some and a 15 lbs over the guys at my height im at 6'3" 240 lbs my little brother is taller tho at 6'5" 180lbs (a bean pole) but most of my friends are between 6'2" 180lbs and 6'5" 220lbs my shortest friend is 5'10" 175 lbs and my tallest is 6'7" 370 lbs

Old 07-29-2016, 05:16 AM

322 posts, read 478,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tallest:
Minnesota

Shortest:
New Mexico

I would concuur, MIchigan, Dakotas and Utah have tall residents aswell..

Shortest? maybe hawai?

Old 07-29-2016, 05:18 AM

322 posts, read 478,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Scandinavians are not the only tall ethnic group, and that also doesn't explain Washington. Maybe Minnesota sure, but the other Northern states not so much...

For an example, Bosnians rank high on height, along with the Netherlands, Germany, Iceland.... But no one ever talks about these ethnic groups.

The Netherlands actually has the tallest average height for men in the world. The Dutch as a whole are known for being tall and have taller average heights than even Scandinavians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ight_worldwide

Dutch, Germans(specially those from the north) and Scandinavians are pretty tall. The same accounts for Serbians, Montenegrins and croats.

British and Irish and French people are much shorter, probably around the same as average white americans.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 AM

17 posts, read 41,986 times
Being bosnian at 6 foot 1 and in my town i feel about average around my generation. In my high school there were a few 5' 9'' guys but most were 5' 11'' to 6' 4''. In my town Tuzla in 2003 avg. height was 177.8cm and now its maybe 180cm. Now in college most of guys are 6' to 6'5''. My ex crush who goes to my college is one year older than me and she stands around my height, she was one of the smartest and sweetest person i've ever met. However in other parts of country, Sarajevo stands at 184.6cm avg measured, Hercegovačko-neretvanska oblast 184.4cm measured, Trebinje and probably Nevesinje 186 cm measured, Zenica 181cm measured, Banja Luka 184cm measured. Its weird how height over here in western balkans have sky rocketed, i cant explain it and i dont know if doctors could, maybe nutrition and exercise, many kids from age of 7-9 start playing football, basketball, self defence sports etc... We bosnians on avg. arent as tall as Herzegovians though, avg. in Herzegovina was measured in 2005 to be 185.6cm, todays its 186 or over. Only sad thing in my country is that all three of nationalisties in this country cant get along due to corrupt nationalist politicans who are still receiving same ammount of votes after years and years.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isko96 View Post
Its weird how height over here in western balkans have sky rocketed, i cant explain it and i dont know if doctors could, maybe nutrition and exercise,
That seems to be one consistency,the food definitely plays a big part.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM

96 posts, read 146,958 times
I'd say the upper midwest (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin) Is the tallest region due to the large influence of Scandinavians, Dutch and Eastern European decent. People from those regions tend to be quite tall, as for the shortest I'll just guess and say Hawaii. It has the largest Asian population, most Asian countries have an average male height of below 5'7", I don't think Native Hawaiians are very tall either.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:43 AM

96 posts, read 146,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefromstatefarm50 View Post
Being from Minnesota I would have to say we have the tallest I'm 6'3 and never considered myself at all tall until college. There's a ton of 6'5-6'6 people everywhere. I would say 6'2 is about average here. We used to call my 5'11 friend the hobbit in high school. I was amazed going on spring break in the south and seeing how short everyone is. Most of my friends I went with are 6'2-6'8 and people kept asking us if we were a basketball team, but if you walk into any target or Walmart in Minnesota you will find a 6'8 guy. Iowa and North Dakota are also tall, and parts of Wisconsin. Going to Chicago as well I was surprised by how short they are I had never seen so many 5'9 people in my life
Good lord, I'm 5'10" and rarely feel short in Maryland. I think the National average height for men is around 5'9"-5'10" I guess Minnesota really is a giant place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.