Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state in the Midwest is your favorite?
Illinois 15 11.28%
Indiana 12 9.02%
Iowa 12 9.02%
Kansas 3 2.26%
Michigan 27 20.30%
Minnesota 39 29.32%
Missouri 9 6.77%
Nebraska 8 6.02%
North Dakota 2 1.50%
Ohio 28 21.05%
South Dakota 4 3.01%
Wisconsin 21 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:43 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
But Ohio is in the Northeast, not the Midwest!
No it isn't in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 05:04 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
I have yet to visit the Midwest, but from the look of pictures, illustrations, and videos covering the urban areas, suburban areas, countryside parts, and wilderness regions, I think I would really love Michigan and Ohio. Which is why I chose those two states. My third choice probably would've been Minnesota.

Me being a Marylander, I like states that have a good diversity of multiple urban explorations and lovely natural scenery. That's one of the reasons why I didn't vote for Illinois because it seems that Chicagoland is the end-all-be-all in that state.

Last edited by tcave360; 11-23-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 05:05 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That's meaningless than, since most people live in the Madison and Milwaukee areas. Green Bay isn't even that conservative. Nor is LaCrosse.

WI is one of the more traditionally liberal states in the country. I never understand why conservatives confuse land with actual people.
Yeah, me neither.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Minnesota.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There was no "none of the above' so I didn't vote.

Have you ever been up there??? It is worth a trip to see it, and if you saw it maybe you'd give it a chance. Mn, Wi, and Mi have unreal scenery with the Great lakes, inland lakes and endless forest. The Mississippi river valley is beautiful along Mn, Wi, Ia border. There are some not so nice places like Detroit and Gary up there that gives the region a black eye, but they are a very small part of that area. Google sleeping bear sand dunes, or pictured rocks lakeshore or the Door peninsula and see what is really there. Its not all Detroit and Chicago.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Have you ever been up there??? It is worth a trip to see it, and if you saw it maybe you'd give it a chance. Mn, Wi, and Mi have unreal scenery with the Great lakes, inland lakes and endless forest. The Mississippi river valley is beautiful along Mn, Wi, Ia border. There are some not so nice places like Detroit and Gary up there that gives the region a black eye, but they are a very small part of that area. Google sleeping bear sand dunes, or pictured rocks lakeshore or the Door peninsula and see what is really there. Its not all Detroit and Chicago.
A lot of people even think Chicago is beautiful and that the wonderful Mississippi River valley extends (as it does) along Illinois and Missouri, and that there are several other beautiful areas along southern Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois...

Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
A lot of people even think Chicago is beautiful and that the wonderful Mississippi River valley extends (as it does) along Illinois and Missouri, and that there are several other beautiful areas along southern Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois...

My apologies, I did mention Chicago and Detroit together. Chicago is not anything like Detroit its a real city with something to offer, and it has a beautiful skyline on the lake. Detroit is unfortunately another story, which I wont even go into. I only intended to make the point that places in the Midwest are much more than its big cities, or even the agricultural areas. Stereotypes of the Midwest hurt the region, and I was pointing out areas of interest outside of obvious places like Chicago. Your right about the Ohio valley too, lots of interesting and historical river towns there.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:09 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL, Minnesota always wins these Midwest state polls
It has had the strongest economy in the region for several years and that should continue. Some posters say the Twin Cities are the only strength, but Rochester with its deservedly famous Mayo clinic and emerging biomedical industry along with the presence of IBM and the traditional agriculture related businesses is actually the fastest growing percentage-wise. The Mall of America is the largest in the country and expansion plans are underway believe it or not.

The Superior Forest and Boundary Waters area of northeast Minnesota is among the largest wilderness regions in the lower 48. Downtown Minneapolis never lacks for things to do and is rapidly growing a downtown population...not rivalling Chicago, but certainly any other Midwest city. Duluth has really promoted its tourism and good things are also happening in places like Mankato, St. Cloud and Northfield. All three have excellent colleges. Then there are those 14,000+ lakes, too!

Old 11-24-2013, 03:20 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
It has had the strongest economy in the region for several years and that should continue. Some posters say the Twin Cities are the only strength, but Rochester with its deservedly famous Mayo clinic and emerging biomedical industry along with the presence of IBM and the traditional agriculture related businesses is actually the fastest growing percentage-wise. The Mall of America is the largest in the country and expansion plans are underway believe it or not.

The Superior Forest and Boundary Waters area of northeast Minnesota is among the largest wilderness regions in the lower 48. Downtown Minneapolis never lacks for things to do and is rapidly growing a downtown population...not rivalling Chicago, but certainly any other Midwest city. Duluth has really promoted its tourism and good things are also happening in places like Mankato, St. Cloud and Northfield. All three have excellent colleges. Then there are those 14,000+ lakes, too!
Minnesota does not have to deal with many of the socioeconomic and sociological challenges that the rust belt states of Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio have to deal with. The economy does look much more healthy in Minnesota, but it probably should look better, all things considered.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
I voted for Missouri because the southern half/Ozarks are just beautiful.

While I haven't spent too much time in the Midwest (only visited Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois) I would say Michigan looks the most beautiful with Whiskey and Minnesota a close 2nd/3rd.

Also, generally, it seems like most Midwesterners are nice/down to earth kinda folks. Y'all talk differently than us here in OK/AR/TX, but I found Midwesterners to be quite friendly in conversation once you get to know them a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.