Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM

646 posts, read 926,169 times

Advertisements

I plan to relocate somewhere with decent job opportunities and reasonable COL. I wanna make a list of several cities where I will be applying to jobs and then go wherever I am hired. As of now my list has Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis. ATL has 4 seasons, but the economy is kinda slow there. I can't stand heat for too long so most of the down south probably won't work. Pacific NW is beautiful, but too rainy and grey. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:06 PM

132 posts, read 545,630 times
Cleveland might be a good choice. It's inexpensive and it's really coming back to life.
Milwaukee - Very much underrated. Laid back. Nice festivals in the summer.
Omaha - Clean, safe, inexpensive, surprisingly vibrant

Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 PM

603 posts, read 930,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
I plan to relocate somewhere with decent job opportunities and reasonable COL. I wanna make a list of several cities where I will be applying to jobs and then go wherever I am hired. As of now my list has Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis. ATL has 4 seasons, but the economy is kinda slow there. I can't stand heat for too long so most of the down south probably won't work. Pacific NW is beautiful, but too rainy and grey. Any suggestions?
If you like the climate of Denver, check out Salt Lake City. It is fairly similar weather with even lower unemployment rate. Beautiful area with many positives.

Alternatives to Atlanta are Nashville and Raleigh. Again, a similar climates but much lower unemployment rates.

I do realize that my alternatives are smaller metro areas. I don't know if that is a problem or not. When looking at them, remember that Raleigh is much bigger than appears because the metro is divided into two parts with Durham being separate. Similarly, Salt Lake had Ogden divided out a few years ago and also Provo to the south is part of the CSA.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Cleveland might be a good choice. It's inexpensive and it's really coming back to life.
Milwaukee - Very much underrated. Laid back. Nice festivals in the summer.
Omaha - Clean, safe, inexpensive, surprisingly vibrant
omaha seems too small and bland

Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
If you like the climate of Denver, check out Salt Lake City. It is fairly similar weather with even lower unemployment rate. Beautiful area with many positives.

Alternatives to Atlanta are Nashville and Raleigh. Again, a similar climates but much lower unemployment rates.

I do realize that my alternatives are smaller metro areas. I don't know if that is a problem or not. When looking at them, remember that Raleigh is much bigger than appears because the metro is divided into two parts with Durham being separate. Similarly, Salt Lake had Ogden divided out a few years ago and also Provo to the south is part of the CSA.
ill look into SLC
what about the mormons acting up though?

Last edited by greenlite; 11-20-2013 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 07:43 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Philadelphia and Chicago should be your top two picks. Both are large cities with 4 seasons which are relatively inexpensive for how large they are.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM

603 posts, read 930,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
ill look into SLC
what about the mormons acting up though?
Acting up how?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Acting up how?
well, like the stupid laws or vibe or what not

Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 PM

68 posts, read 100,251 times
Nashville has a great vibe and all 4 seasons!! Definitely check it out there.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity7499 View Post
Nashville has a great vibe and all 4 seasons!! Definitely check it out there.
ok, wat kinda vibe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.