Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 PM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've not been to Baton Rouge, but from what I know about it, it came to mind as well. It shares some similarities with Columbia, SC, also a contender here.

Mobile is another good answer, which also crossed my mind.

I'll throw Winston-Salem, NC into the pot also.

I'd agree with downtown Durham. There has already been much progress downtown with a new ballpark, performing arts center, and renovated historic structures, but the momentum could definitely be greater. Not too long ago, a residential tower was proposed for downtown; not sure what the status is on it though.

Downtown Augusta, GA actually has pretty good bones also; it just needs the right type of investment to really become a special place.

Richmond is definitely underrated and does have untapped potential, for sure. But I think the issue there isn't that the city isn't trying or doesn't have the right leadership in place because it's making a lot of progress; it just seems that the word hasn't really gotten out about it, so to speak.
Good point about Augusta, which is one of the fastest growing metros in the South, if I'm not mistaken. While it is similar to Jacksonville in terms of being a city-county government, it does have a visible core that could improve.

This is another city that comes to mind: https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetvie...911327571,,0,0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point about Augusta, which is one of the fastest growing metros in the South, if I'm not mistaken. While it is similar to Jacksonville in terms of being a city-county government, it does have a visible core that could improve.
Augusta is not among the fastest-growing metros in the South; its growth rate in the previous decade was more average at about 11.5% and is a bit on the low side compared to its regional peers. What hinders the city as a whole is a relatively small private sector and the lack of a direct interstate connection to the coast. But I think its downtown has all the right ingredients to truly become a destination, if the city plays its cards right. It has a nice historic urban fabric to work with.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Macon GA by a mile! And fortunately, after years of decline, it's on the verge of seeing a true renaissance.

The city's "bones" promise ENORMOUS potential:

-- A large downtown core consisting of wide boulevards lined with largely empty Victorian (affordable) buildings;
-- A location at the intersection of two major interstates smack dab in the middle of the state, with Atlanta 80 miles to the north and Savananh's port 160 miles to the east.
-- A newly consolidated city-county government that, for the first time in years has brought the white and black community together.
-- A thriving and fast-growing private university (Mercer) that reestablished NCAA D-1 football this fall and took the community by storm with a 9-1 record!

Macon truly does seem on the verge of something big.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Macon GA by a mile! And fortunately, after years of decline, it's on the verge of seeing a true renaissance.

The city's "bones" promise ENORMOUS potential:

-- A large downtown core consisting of wide boulevards lined with largely empty Victorian (affordable) buildings;
-- A location at the intersection of two major interstates smack dab in the middle of the state, with Atlanta 80 miles to the north and Savananh's port 160 miles to the east.
-- A newly consolidated city-county government that, for the first time in years has brought the white and black community together.
-- A thriving and fast-growing private university (Mercer) that reestablished NCAA D-1 football this fall and took the community by storm with a 9-1 record!

Macon truly does seem on the verge of something big.
How could I have forgotten Macon? You're absolutely right. I was pretty impressed with its historic urban stock when I first saw it in pictures. Interestingly enough, I know the guy who's the new marketing manager for the Macon CVB and I told him most of what you just mentioned in relation to its untapped potential. I'm going to get down there soon to do a photoshoot of downtown.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
How could I have forgotten Macon? You're absolutely right. I was pretty impressed with its historic urban stock when I first saw it in pictures. Interestingly enough, I know the guy who's the new marketing manager for the Macon CVB and I told him most of what you just mentioned in relation to its untapped potential. I'm going to get down there soon to do a photoshoot of downtown.
You will be BLOWN AWAY by downtown Macon. The layout of the streets (wide!) and much of the old commercial architecture is simply amazing. They've still got their passenger rail terminal intact, and a handsome assemblage of historic old public buildings (City Auditorium, City Hall, Courthouse, etc). I dare say that of Georgia's 2nd-tier cities, Macon's downtown is the one that looks most like a "big city." For the present it lacks a lot of activity or people, but that appears to be changng.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
My vote goes to numerous cities along the Ohio river, between Pittsburgh and Louisville. There are a large number of midsized towns and cities with the urban bones of cities 4-5x their size, because they were heavily industrialized in the first half of the 20th Century. There are sections where 20-30 miles of the river are developed with a number of small, formerly dense industrial towns that line either side of the Ohio.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You will be BLOWN AWAY by downtown Macon. The layout of the streets (wide!) and much of the old commercial architecture is simply amazing. They've still got their passenger rail terminal intact, and a handsome assemblage of historic old public buildings (City Auditorium, City Hall, Courthouse, etc). I dare say that of Georgia's 2nd-tier cities, Macon's downtown is the one that looks most like a "big city." For the present it lacks a lot of activity or people, but that appears to be changng.
Yeah, I saw a lot of that here. Truth be told, the second-tier cities in Georgia all seem to have done a decent job with preservation in their cores (with, of course, Savannah as the crown jewel); I was even impressed with downtown Rome. I suppose that's one positive side of not being a post-war economic boomtown.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:31 AM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Augusta is not among the fastest-growing metros in the South; its growth rate in the previous decade was more average at about 11.5% and is a bit on the low side compared to its regional peers. What hinders the city as a whole is a relatively small private sector and the lack of a direct interstate connection to the coast. But I think its downtown has all the right ingredients to truly become a destination, if the city plays its cards right. It has a nice historic urban fabric to work with.
Yeah, it does have the Eds and Meds aspect, along with Fort Gordon. After that, I'm not sure what else it has.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:43 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
I'll throw Winston-Salem, NC into the pot also.
I agree, along with neighboring Greensboro. Both have been vastly overlooked with the decades of growth in Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, and combined have considerable infrastructure (four interstate highways and a decent sized airport), somewhat diverse economies (including high tech, manufacturing, medical and education) and a very favorable centralized location.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, it does have the Eds and Meds aspect, along with Fort Gordon. After that, I'm not sure what else it has.
Savannah River Site is also among the major fixtures in its local economy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_River_Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, along with neighboring Greensboro. Both have been vastly overlooked with the decades of growth in Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, and combined have considerable infrastructure (four interstate highways and a decent sized airport), somewhat diverse economies (including high tech, manufacturing, medical and education) and a very favorable centralized location.
Yes, the Triad in general certainly has untapped potential. I mentioned Winston-Salem in particular because it's pretty historic, more so than most realize (e.g., Old Salem, Bethabara); has a relatively dense, industrial urban fabric; is home to one of the best universities in the country and a well-respected medical complex; and has a handful of corporate headquarters of recognizable brands (BB&T, HanesBrands, Krispy Kreme, several cigarette brands, Texas Pete, etc.). Also, it seems that Winston-Salem is not as aggressive in marketing itself as Greensboro is, despite being more well-rounded and established as a city. Greensboro has been more successful in building the bigger venues to attract the bigger events; Winston-Salem should at least consider building a new convention center which would go a long way towards giving the city more exposure. It was built in '69, before Charlotte's and Raleigh's old convention centers--and both have built new ones since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.