Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 PM

132 posts, read 543,974 times

Advertisements

Sales doesn't mean volume of alcohol consumed.

Maybe New Hampshire doesn't drink more than Wisconsin and North Dakota, just better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,494,997 times
How do they factor in people who drink a little everyday from bridge drinkers and alcoholics?

Here in the Maryland, people drink a glass of wine or two or a beer or two with dinner. That might all add up to a lot.

While, from my experience in Chicago and Wisconsin, people don't drink at all Monday-Thursday, but spend Friday-Sunday totally ****ing trashed.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,946,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Actually, msot SEPA/Philly residents going into New Jersey for liquor. Delaware County or Chester County may go in Delaware but Philly, Montgomery and Bucks go into New Jersey.
I'm aware that a lot of SEPA booze is bought in NJ. Doesn't change the point that a lot is also bought in Delaware, which sells a lot more booze than it drinks.

Kinda stinks for us in Pgh because Philly's ready access to quality/price from NJ/DE means there's not as much incentive to bust up the LCB as there is out here. Buying booze is SE OH/No WV doesn't offer relief.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:38 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,648,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
New Hampshire has huge liquor stores the size of warehouses with their own designated exits on I-95 and I-93. Yes you read that right, giant liquor stores on interstate highways!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8345196@N08/2825368379

Liquor exit by zzombiekitty, on Flickr
not my photo (by elrie) - Liquor exit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

NH Liquor Stores by jimmywayne, on Flickr
not my photo: (by Jimmy Emerson): NH Liquor Stores | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Don't Drink and Drive by sheridesabeemer, on Flickr
not my photo (by Gail Hatch)http://www.flickr.com/photos/8345196@N08/2825368379

Last chance notification for another liquor store before crossing the state line !

DSC_0742 by I.C. Ligget, on Flickr
not my photo: (by Ian Ligget) http://www.flickr.com/photos/28925161@N02/8596867910

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-22-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 08:30 AM

8,815 posts, read 6,141,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Here is a list of the top ten drunkest states (or districts). As measured by total alcohol sales divided by population.

10 Drunkest States in the U.S. - TheStreet

1. New Hampshire
2. Washington D.C.
3. Delaware
4. Nevada
5. North Dakota
6. Wisconsin
7. Alaska
8. Montana
9. Vermont
10. South Dakota

It's an interesting mix. Some seem obvious for beer, others for wine. It sounds like New Hampshire benefits (or is that suffers) from it's neighbors in Maine by not having a sales tax.
Not just Maine but Massachusetts as well, Massachusetts residents consume a lot of alcohol.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:35 AM

8,815 posts, read 6,141,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
New Hampshire has huge liquor stores the size of warehouses with their own designated exits on I-95 and I-93. Yes you read that right, giant liquor stores on interstate highways!
...And those NH state liquor stores have been open on Sundays for decades while MA residents were subjected to harsh blue laws. I know the MA blue laws have been eased somewhat over the years but I think people are still subjected to partial Sunday restrictions on sales.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,631,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I am surprised Louisiana isn't on that list given the large number of bars there and they even have drive thru daiquiri huts where you can order an alcoholic beverage from your car.
We have them in Kentucky too, but we also have all the statewide Bourbon trail where people are encouraged to drink at different distilleries all day long. Im surprised we aren't on that list

And Vermont ?!?!? I lived in Vermont too, I dont remember any drunk/drink stuff at all. If anything, the average stuffy VT'r could use a little loosening up!! Definitely not like in Kentucky. Has to be due to the blo-in skiers from other states

Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 AM

10,721 posts, read 23,648,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
...And those NH state liquor stores have been open on Sundays for decades while MA residents were subjected to harsh blue laws. I know the MA blue laws have been eased somewhat over the years but I think people are still subjected to partial Sunday restrictions on sales.
That and booze is cheaper in NH, especially when buying in bulk.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:18 PM

375 posts, read 795,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
How do they factor in people who drink a little everyday from bridge drinkers and alcoholics?

Here in the Maryland, people drink a glass of wine or two or a beer or two with dinner. That might all add up to a lot.

While, from my experience in Chicago and Wisconsin, people don't drink at all Monday-Thursday, but spend Friday-Sunday totally ****ing trashed.
This is also the attitude in most of the midwest. I'm not surprised to see this in South or North Dakota. Combine white people who spend their weekends trashed and partying with the sad alcoholism prevalent on reservations and it makes for a really drunk state. The only reason I think Nebraska and Kansas aren't on this list is because they don't have the native american populations the dakota's do. Granted Kansas also has more of a prohibitionist tradition. Their alcohol laws are pretty strict. Same with Oklahoma.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:12 PM

17,473 posts, read 17,320,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Not just Maine but Massachusetts as well, Massachusetts residents consume a lot of alcohol.
Only because Ted Kennedy isn't around anymore. That leaves more for the rest of Bhastan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.