Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 02:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Interstate 92 from Bangor Maine to Rochester, NY.

Called the Rooftop Expressway it will be the first highway in the northeast to have 75 MPH speed limits in several rural areas. This will also lead to the construction of an additional port at Bangor, ME to speed up international trade in northern new England and increase speed of transportation to the northern counties in upstate NY. Plans for this highway are already up.
On I-95 from just North of Bangor to Houlton, ME the speed limit is already 75, been that way for 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Great Falls, Montana -> Billings, Montana

Boise, Idaho -> Redding, California -> Reno, Nevada -> Las Vegas, Nevada -> Phoenix, Arizona

Cheyenne, Wyoming -> Sioux Falls, South Dakota -> Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dickinson, North Dakota -> Rapid City, South Dakota

Salt Lake City, Utah -> Denver, Colorado

Flagstaff, Arizona -> Grand Junction, Colorado

Provo, Utah -> Albuquerque, New Mexico

Pueblo, Colorado -> Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Las Vegas, New Mexico -> Wichita, Nebraska

Shreveport, Louisiana -> Cleveland, Texas

Pine Bluff, Arkansas -> Monroe, Louisiana

Macon, Georgia -> Augusta, Georgia -> Savannah, Georgia

Old 11-23-2013, 03:18 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Flagstaff, Arizona -> Grand Junction, Colorado
I think a more sensible route would be extending I-17 north of Flagstaff through Page, AZ into Southern Utah and linking up with I-15 so that Phoenix and Salt Lake City would have an interstate connection. Travelers could exit off I-15 to I-70 for those heading to Grand Junction, CO and points east.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:49 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think this would be more of a reality for a route linking the existing NH highway 101 and extending that through Keene, Southern Vermont and over to Albany, NY. That would alleviate some traffic off I-495 and I-90/Mass Pike. Or perhaps this route may parallel US 4 through Concord, NH and Rutland, VT. Can you just imagine the Townie response though through all these rural areas?
Highway opposition is not limited to small towns. Massachusetts went through quite a transportation policy upheaval back in the early 1970s. Google Francis W. Sargent for more information. I think the big source of anti-highway attitudes in northern New England is due to fear of the impact on the tourism industry.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,059 times
The population may not warrant it per se, but I owuld like to see a north-south interstate (I-27) built from Minot, ND to San Antonio, TX. In addition of those cities, it would go through Bismarck ND, Pierre SD (one of the few remaining state capitals that is not currently served by an interstate), Grand Island NE, Wichita KS (re-designate I-135 as I-27), Enid OK, Altus OK, and Abilene TX.

It would also give Nebraska its first north-south interstate (I-29 runs about 5 miles east of the NE state line) and give the central and western portions of Kansas and Oklahoma a more direct route to San Antonio. I considered San Angelo as part of the route but it looks too out of the way.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:20 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Quote:
I think a more sensible route would be extending I-17 north of Flagstaff through Page, AZ into Southern Utah and linking up with I-15 so that Phoenix and Salt Lake City would have an interstate connection. Travelers could exit off I-15 to I-70 for those heading to Grand Junction, CO and points east.
See Provo -> Albuquerque

Old 11-23-2013, 04:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,804,644 times
Quote:
The proposed Interstate 11 from Phoenix to Las Vegas would connect the two largest metropolitan areas within a region that are not already connected by an interstate. The new arched Tillman bridge near the Hoover Dam was built to interstate standards and there are sections of US highway 93 that are as well and would easily connect and re-designate to the existing spur I-515 freeway through Las Vegas.

Interstate 11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omg... I have not heard about this! This would be fantastic! The current drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas is not all that great so it would be nice to see this through.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
See Provo -> Albuquerque
I figured that meant a route through Southeastern Utah, past Four Corners/SW Colorado and Farmington, NM.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:40 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,804,644 times
Someone mentioned a connection to Grand Junction. An interstate that goes to SW Colorado directly from Flag perhaps would make it easier to visit the Four Corners, if may be. But it would have to depend on the natives to see this through. Normally one would have to travel to Gallup, NM and then go North from there (which is the route I travelled when I went to Durango). Possibly expanding the 160 into an Interstate, that starts in Tuba City, AZ and merges with the 491 in the middle of nowhere in SW Colorado.

Oh, I should note: making the 160 an Interstate (maybe an extension of the 17?) would be one of the fastest ways to see Monument Valley on top of that, since it's pretty much the fastest way to Monument Valley as it is. Very long road to there as well.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Someone mentioned a connection to Grand Junction. An interstate that goes to SW Colorado directly from Flag perhaps would make it easier to visit the Four Corners, if may be. But it would have to depend on the natives to see this through. Normally one would have to travel to Gallup, NM and then go North from there (which is the route I travelled when I went to Durango). Possibly expanding the 160 into an Interstate, that starts in Tuba City, AZ and merges with the 491 in the middle of nowhere in SW Colorado.

Oh, I should note: making the 160 an Interstate (maybe an extension of the 17?) would be one of the fastest ways to see Monument Valley on top of that, since it's pretty much the fastest way to Monument Valley as it is. Very long road to there as well.
These are very sparsely populated areas though, mostly rez settlements, small towns, and wide open deserts. Does Phoenix - Denver commerce trade and travel really warrant an interstate highway? The route would have to penetrate though some very tough mountainous topography in parts. Grand Junction isn't really that large at all (58,000 city pop/146,000 metro) and I think I-40 to ABQ and then to I-25 does the job just fine.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-23-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.