Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What brought you to this site?
Deciding where to move after graduation. 5 6.58%
Want better/less expensive place to raise my family. 7 9.21%
Seeking new beginning/adventure/change of scenery. 10 13.16%
Deciding where to retire 5 6.58%
Hoping a new city will help career/job search 3 3.95%
Doing research for my job (realtor, city planner, etc.) 3 3.95%
I just like talking about cities 44 57.89%
City-related college major (architecture, civil eng., etc.) 1 1.32%
Someone said cute girls hang out at this forum. 5 6.58%
Other (Please tell us your reason) 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 AM

646 posts, read 813,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
seemed to make a few enemies (so passionate over place!), and sometimes I have became overly emotional and took the forum too seriously myself, but I have tried to keep a happy medium, just trying to tell how it is, and trying to stay open to the opinions of others, be it "Good" or "Bad". The Florida forum is a very controversial place.

Sounds like my experience on the Pittsburgh forum. It seems like each forum has its own "tone"; the Colorado forums seem more tolerant to people disagreeing. I post on both, I can't tell you what the difference is, but it's there.

LOL, try the New York forum for controversy. Some of the arguing there is transferred over to this US general forum. NY/LA arguments have always bored me. They generally consist of New Yorkers trying to throw an ignorant weight around over nothing.

People are so dead set on their own perspectives on places, regardless what people who live there and pay taxes have to say. A little more significance in those matters are found on the state/city threads.

But wow do people have a lot of old fashioned and rusted notions about places. It's worse here than on foreign forums where Americans have to feud with others making generalizations that are hateful and hurtful toward us "Yanks". We're all Yanks by the way outside the US. WHich is a fine term by me, but they have terrible other ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I actually find those forum interesting to read sometimes. Every once in a while someone will come out and admit they didn't like it, and the results tend to be interesting. I bet if a forum like this existed 10 years ago for Florida, it would of looked like that. The way we migrate as a nation just simply isn't sustainable. Florida is one of our first post-industrial, disposable forms of mass development, and I really hope those two states aren't next. Metro Atlanta in Georgia is already on it's way there.

Say something negative about NYC on their forum, see what happens. However there are some members that cut to the chase adjusting the tone where reality comes thru and NYC isn't at all what its Madison Ave try to sell it as.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
"The NC and Tennessee forums sound like all the posters belong to the state board of tourism.

I actually find those forum interesting to read sometimes. Every once in a while someone will come out and admit they didn't like it, and the results tend to be interesting."

Yeah, you're right. I change my mind--I like those forums BECAUSE they have their own personality, even if it does get a little too rah rah rah for my tastes. I like that the state boards have distinct differences.

I also like the GA and VA boards. These are very practical forums, full of useful advice for people moving there. But what really cracks me up is the number of questions and posts on the VA board about traffic! It seems like every other question is about commuting times or driving shortcuts. Too funny! The GA board had some interesting insights and tips about the drought.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I also like the GA and VA boards. These are very practical forums, full of useful advice for people moving there. But what really cracks me up is the number of questions and posts on the VA board about traffic! It seems like every other question is about commuting times or driving shortcuts. Too funny!

Lots of questions about snow on the CO forum. Also, like every state forum, the 'best' schools, safe neighborhoods, etc, etc. It generally is respectful.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:26 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
I guess I came here to learn about the cities of the United States from citizens who actually resided there instead of just reading documents or brochures. Plus, it's a charge-free way to meet the locals of the cities I'm interested and ask for their input without me actually having to travel to those cities...and the other reason I joined was to see how my perspective on cities compared to those of other people.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:42 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm just curious about my fellow posters...

I get the impression most of the people on this forum are college students. But, I've been wrong before! So, I thought it would be fun to post a poll and find out.

I'm not sure how to set up the poll. In case I mangle it, the options are:

1. Deciding where to move after graduation.
2. Seeking better home to raise my family.
3. Looking for a new job in a new city.
4. Seeking a new beginning/adventure/change of scenery.
5. Deciding where to retire.
6. I just like talking about cities.
7. I'm a realtor, developer, etc.
8. I'm a civil engineering major (or pursuing other city-related major, such as architecture)
9. Someone told me cute girls hang out at this site.
10. Other. (Please tell us your reason...)

What brought me to this web site? Believe it or not, a google-search.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:47 PM

146 posts, read 797,292 times
Ah, this is a really interesting question! Kudos for starting such a great thread.

I came found this website when my brother was researching a move to Texas. I have always loved to travel, and learn about other cities. I just found myself completely engrossed by the forums, and finally decided to join in on all the discussion. I am also planning a possible double-major, and would be doing History / GIS; the GIS major would really incorporate a lot of urban planning, and map making, so it's really interesting to learn from certain cities (i.e. Phoenix) what not to do. It is also very interesting to learn what works. Anyway, I love hearing about cities, and that is why I am here.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"The NC and Tennessee forums sound like all the posters belong to the state board of tourism.

I actually find those forum interesting to read sometimes. Every once in a while someone will come out and admit they didn't like it, and the results tend to be interesting."

Yeah, you're right. I change my mind--I like those forums BECAUSE they have their own personality, even if it does get a little too rah rah rah for my tastes. I like that the state boards have distinct differences.

I also like the GA and VA boards. These are very practical forums, full of useful advice for people moving there. But what really cracks me up is the number of questions and posts on the VA board about traffic! It seems like every other question is about commuting times or driving shortcuts. Too funny! The GA board had some interesting insights and tips about the drought.
An important fact that may be part of it:

Virginia is unique among most states in that the state government owns and operates most of the roads in the state, instead of the local city or county authority. Run by the Virginia Department of Transportation, this is the third largest highway system in the United States.[41]

Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM

506 posts, read 2,148,653 times
I like to read other's viewpoints and commentary about where they live. It's interesting to see how people from various parts of the U.S. (and sometimes other countries) are different but similar in other ways.

One of the boxes I checked was "Other", which is one of the reasons I found this particular forum. I read the Texas forums regularly, especially Dallas (since I live there), and post regularly but had never looked at this one, which I'm enjoying very much. I've gotten tired of the Dallas forum because there are a few on there (who always seem to be on there...!) who can be somewhat rude. Anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot, anyone living in suburbs is bland and ill-informed, etc. It gets tiresome and breaking out of that vacuum to read nationwide commentary is refreshing.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,391 times
I came here from a Google search - I've visited Hawaii a few times, and like most other people who've vacationed there, wondered what it would take to actually live there. Did a search, wound up here, read the Hawaii forum, found the others, and never left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.