Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 04:33 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times

Advertisements

Missouri has no brothers or sisters, no friends either.
Even though we touch more states than most we are just too anti-social.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Wow, a lot of people pair Michigan with Ohio. Other than the SE corner and a thin band across the bottom of the State, MI really has little in common with Ohio. For the most part we don't consider each other as "sister" states either.

MI pairs up MUCH better with WI, than any other State. Up the West side of MI, across the northern part of the lower peninsula, and in the UP there is a LARGE following of Packers fans as well Lions fans. Even though I hate football, it is a pretty good indication of where people associate themselves with. I have never met a MI native born Browns or Bengals fan.
Agree. I have lived in all 3 states. Michigan and Ohio are 2 different animals. People in Michigan do not know where Cincinnati is located.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:49 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Which states are the number 1 sister of California, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina and Florida?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 PM

68 posts, read 109,874 times
I see some people pairing Virginia with Maryland. I don't agree with this. Virginia is much different than Maryland outside of NOVA. Richmond is much more like Raleigh than it is to Baltimore. Also, southwest VA is pretty similar to Kentucky.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
New York = Pennsylvania
New Jersey = Delaware

Maryland = Virginia
North Carolina = South Carolina
Georgia = Alabama
Michigan = Wisconsin
California = Nevada

New York and New Jersey possibly have the closest, most intertwined relationship than any other two states… I mean both states technically own and control the World Trade Center (PANYNJ), for one, not to mention the 3 area airports plus more smaller ones, and AC's airport now, and the NJ-NY bridges and tunnels.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
It seems to me that California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and West Virginia have no siblings, but several "cousin" states instead.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:03 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It seems to me that California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and West Virginia have no siblings, but several "cousin" states instead.
Louisiana has Mississippi, Connecticut-Massachusetts and Oklahoma-Arkansas.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:49 PM

110 posts, read 147,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Outside of NOVA and the ares immediately around that Chesapeake, real southern culture dominates a big chunk of Virginia. You do see some mountain folk in Western Maryland, but I wouldn't call Maryland culturally southern. Plus, the political attitudes between the two are huge.

Virginia and Maryland are more like two neighbors with a lot in common, but with a totally different set of values. They smile to each other's face and go to each other's Memorial Day BBQs, but Virginia secretly thinks Maryland is going to hell and Maryland is secretly jealous of Virginia's new SUV and meat smoker.

Virginia's match is clearly North Carolina.
This is without question the best answer to the VA/NC/MD question.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:54 PM

110 posts, read 147,410 times
Alabama=Mississippi
Texas=Oklahoma
Washington=Oregon
Nebraska=Iowa (Not Kansas)
South Carolina=Georgia
Tennessee=Kentucky
Virginia=Maryland/North Carolina (MD near DC burbs, North Carolina everywhere else.)
Missouri=Kansas
Arkansas=Oklahoma
Arizona=New Mexico

I'm sure there are multiple others but thats all that I can think of right away.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
I can speak for North Carolina, being a native of this state. You can draw similarities between NC and every state that borders NC. Although most people would say NC and SC have the most in common, I'd say Virginia is a better state to pair up with NC. SC was always a little too Deep South, while NC and VA are Upper South. Plus, NC and VA are much more progressive than NC. Today, GA is also very similar to NC, even more so than SC IMO. East TN is also pretty similar to western NC.
Here are some other state comparisons IMO:
Alabama-South Carolina
Arkansas-Oklahoma
Tennessee-Kentucky
Maryland-Delaware
Vermont-New Hampshire
Illinois-Indiana
Minnesota-Wisconsin
Iowa-Nebraska
Oregon-Washington
Arizona-New Mexico
Wyoming-Montana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.