Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times

Advertisements

That person messed up the former Yugoslavia slightly, but so did the map (no Montenegro; I'll let Kosovo slide). I always mess up Lithvistonia, so I'm impressed with anyone who gets it. I'm really surprised how many got Croatia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Counties are hardly the same thing since all US states have dozens of counties within them too. The one they did for Americans with Europe was definitely more comparable. Both were amusing though. My British husband says he wouldn't be able to complete either the US states OR Europe.
Why is it? So you're saying that any country other than the US only gets one designation ... the entire country, and nothing else is important? British counties are the equivalent of US states. Just as are Canadian provinces, and so on and so forth. Don't get hung up on them being called "counties" they are the first division of the nation, and are the equivalent to our states ... even though they're not called that.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Its amazing that many brits can label our states at all. Why should we expect them too, who here can find Suffolk or Gouchestershire??? How about the cities of Manchester or Birmingham. (no they don't have southern belles in this Birmingham) I think we are far more ignorant of the Geography of England, and the whole of the British Iles than the Brits are of the US. Many/some Americans can name the Canadian provinces, but hardly anyone can name many or no Mexican states. I think we all could improve our Geography skills.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:28 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
To be completely honest, I couldn't tell you where any Canadian provinces are, where any Mexican states are, or where any of the countries in Europe are (other than many Russia or something).

I just don't expect the average person from Europe to be able locate and place each and every U.S. state; vise versa. I'd think that more people from Europe would be able to properly locate large, influential states like California than someone from the United States being able to locate whatever Europe's most recognized country is.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:58 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times
I was surprised how many got New Mexico right, considering a good minority of Americans often forget that it is a state in the union, or automatically associate it with its more populous neighbor to the left (Arizona). It probably has something to do with the USA's attachment to Mexico that makes it easier to remember for most people living abroad.

Last edited by santafe400; 11-28-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I just love the "Jesse Pinkman lives here" part for NM. Somebody has been watching too much Breaking Bad.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:37 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
That person messed up the former Yugoslavia slightly, but so did the map (no Montenegro; I'll let Kosovo slide). I always mess up Lithvistonia, so I'm impressed with anyone who gets it. I'm really surprised how many got Croatia.
Lithuania
Estonia
Latvia

Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This one is actually pretty impressive.

Glad they did this, helps show that the stereotype that we're so ignorant about World Geography is just a bunch of crap.
That one is by far the best of the ones though getting three of them wrong and missing about five countries (though good job on a few of the microstates)

Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 PM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
We did better than I expected. Yay.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:50 PM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You know, I'll give them some credit... Those responses prove that the Brits know much more about the US they we Yanks know about the UK. Some of those probably got more names of states right than a lot of Americans could for their own country. Several them got Delaware right even...

And on the other hand, if you asked the average American to fill in a map of the UK--they'd probably have trouble with just England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, let alone the regions or counties or cities of England--you'd probably get a lot of blank responses with people just drawing London in the middle...

I really liked the guy though who named Nebraska as "Middleshire" and Montana as "Not Canada" and then wrote "Lobsters" for New Hampshire and "No One Knows" for Kansas.
To be fair, I think this applies to vast majority of the world. I don't really expect many
People to be able to label out the English counties. Geography isn't a strong point for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.