Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: She we call a temporary halt to "versus" polls?
Hell yes, they're boring & lame 16 30.19%
No way, they're the best posts on the forum! 27 50.94%
IDK--I can't think because those polls destroyed my brain 5 9.43%
Umm, this is a poll--I'm voting--draw your own conclusion 7 13.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

I like this quote, from a thread below:

"Versus threads only result in hurt feelings and civic pride-spawned anger. All vs. threads should be banned after today."

I second that emotion! They're nothing but junk food--they don't give you anything good to chew over and they leave a bad taste.

Let's call a temporary halt to it and get back to more thought-provoking topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 04:34 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,986 times
I like them = I think people get to the point and express their opinions. People have different opinions and it will always be that way, but when someone is considering where to live they deserve honest answers. If you like where you live and others don't, who cares!! You can still enjoy your city! What would we talk about otherwise?

Old 11-24-2007, 04:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I find them to be a rather pointless waste of time (even though I have participated in them). I notice that it seems like the SAME several cities (Houston, NYC, L.A., and Chicago) seem to be used over and over again, which has caused them to become quite boring, especially since the cities being compared and contrasted are often POLAR OPPOSITES to begin with. It would be like me posting a new poll "Which is Better---Scranton or New York City?" There's just no way to put them on a level playing field.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-24-2007 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-24-2007, 04:48 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
I think if a person doesnt like vs. threads, the best thing to do is not read them. Like TV, turn the channel..LOL

However,
it does seem the same vs threads keep popping up over and over again...really gets mundane.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think if a person doesnt like vs. threads, the best thing to do is not read them. Like TV, turn the channel..LOL

However,
it does seem the same vs threads keep popping up over and over again...really gets mundane.
Why can't these people be more creative though? We all know that Americans have a natural tendency to want to compete and upstage one another, but why the same tried-and-true cities? If I see Houston and/or Atlanta in one more of these "vs" threads I think I'm going to hurl!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM

646 posts, read 813,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I find them to be a rather pointless waste of time (even though I have participated in them). I notice that it seems like the SAME several cities (Houston, NYC, L.A., and Chicago) seem to be used over and over again, which has caused them to become quite boring, especially since the cities being compared and contrasted are often POLAR OPPOSITES to begin with. It would be like me posting a new poll "Which is Better---Scranton or New York City?" There's just no way to put them on a level playing field.

Frankly I don't think the US has a "most important city", when it's phrased that way. Also "greatest" city can be so much of a personal preference, especially of the world. It's all about opinion with these terms.

Biggest, largest, most this (fill in variable here) or that is more accurate adjectives, but no city in the US has all things unto it to make it "best" or "greatest" for everyone to regard it the same. People are hung up on size, or "as seen on tv". One man's poison is another man's medicine.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-24-2007 at 07:26 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 06:45 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
I don't think we should - it makes this forum intersting. This is one of the only forums i go to that allows these kinds of threads and that's why i like them. if they were banned i would probably stop going to this site

Old 11-24-2007, 08:42 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
They are sometimes fun because you can learn a lot about other cities.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:46 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
For those who voted that they are boring and lame.........well you must be just as boring and lame or else you wouldnt have partaken in them. If they offend you so much, heres an idea....dont read em!!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
A lot of them start along the lines of: I have a job offer in City A and one in City B. Which one would be better for me, considering I like (insert name of sport, activity here)? Those are worthwhile, IMO. Others that just try to compare cities are lame, as many before me have said, but I usally ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.