Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
By and large, cities like that are in the north. That's honestly just the way it is. Montreal would be perfect, but well, obvious reasons why not. Seattle is for the most part exactly like Minneapolis, just with a different natural setting and a milder climate and Starbucks instead of Target. The other most similar cities to Minneapolis are Denver and Portland.

The nasty thing about most of these cities (Seattle, Portland, Denver, St. Louis, Vancouver) is that what they lack in snow and cold they make up for in rain and/or ice. So that's a choice you'll have to make.

The closest matches below the snow line would probably be San Diego and Austin. Mayyyybe Atlanta or Miami if you find just the right neighborhood.

Miami is similar to Minneapolis? Hell no! The reason I plan to move to Minneapolis is cuz it's so DIFFERENT from Miami!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
I agree with Denver and Seattle, which are similar to Minneapolis in terms of population, density, and culture. Though I think Seattle is a little more sophisticated than Minneapolis, and my sense is that Minneapolis is a little more sophisticated than Denver. Though I've only visited Seattle once.

I completely disagree with Austin and Portland. Both cities are rather sprawling and don't offer all that much in terms of the arts.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
San Diego is larger than the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.
Only the urbanized area, and that's because San Diego is hemmed in by the ocean, the mountains, AND Mexico. Otherwise they are very similar in size and buzz, and if anything the Twin Cities is generally considered a larger metro area.

To answer the OP, it's probably Seattle or Portland. I'd say Denver, and it would be easily #2, if it weren't for the snow there.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Miami is similar to Minneapolis? Hell no! The reason I plan to move to Minneapolis is cuz it's so DIFFERENT from Miami!
Maybe the built residential form and density. But even so, I can't understand Atlanta, other than that it has a lot of SFHs like Minneapolis (and almost every city in the country) does.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
I too would say seattle & denver ......... I've lived in both the Twin Cities and Denver and have visited all 3 extensively when not living there

The feel is similar - the weather is a pick your poison type of thing

When I was living in the cities we picked up a roomate from Denver on a job transfer ... he lasted about 6 weeks before moving back because he couldn't stand the winter weather

Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
I've always thought MSP, Denver and Seattle reminded me of each other.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:25 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
FWIW, there are plenty of well-adjusted Minnesotans living in the Phoenix area.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:02 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
What about one of the North Carolina cities? I've never been there, but I imagine that they might be what you're looking for.

Austin, perhaps, too
I grew up in the Carolina's. The closest NC city as far as unique "vibe" would be Asheville, but to me Asheville feels more like a mini-Portland (hippy vs hipster), with MSP being more hipster, and Asheville more hippy, splitting hairs I guess, but the other cities in NC i.e. (Raleigh, Charlotte) definitely feel more southern, and eastern than the Twin Cities.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I agree with Denver and Seattle, which are similar to Minneapolis in terms of population, density, and culture. Though I think Seattle is a little more sophisticated than Minneapolis, and my sense is that Minneapolis is a little more sophisticated than Denver. Though I've only visited Seattle once.

I completely disagree with Austin and Portland. Both cities are rather sprawling and don't offer all that much in terms of the arts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I too would say seattle & denver ......... I've lived in both the Twin Cities and Denver and have visited all 3 extensively when not living there

The feel is similar - the weather is a pick your poison type of thing

When I was living in the cities we picked up a roomate from Denver on a job transfer ... he lasted about 6 weeks before moving back because he couldn't stand the winter weather
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I've always thought MSP, Denver and Seattle reminded me of each other.
Taking all three of these together:

Denver is far less Scandinavian, far less Lutheran, far less religious in general than Minneapolis. I'm not very familiar with Seattle.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Minneapolis doesn't even get that much snow.

It's the cold that will get you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.