Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 05:17 PM

32 posts, read 36,862 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking this is the best forum since I am not asking about a particular city, just looking for suggestions. I would like some opinions about which cities you consider good for a single mom to start afresh. I don't have ties/family anywhere so I am flexible.

I need a fresh start and would be looking for any job to get started. I can also afford between $1000-$1400 for rent. I would need to stay in an extended stay/monthly stay places for a bit because of a recent eviction.

I have a 2nd grader and 4 year old; while schools are very important to me, it is not the driving factor right now.

I also plan to start one or two businesses (currently researching Personal concierge and candy store), so a city that would be good for these kind of business would be helpful. I am leaning more towards personal concierge because I won't need to rent a space, and cheaper to start.

Finally, I am considering the following cities/states. Florida-Tampa, Orlando, Las Vegas (with a view to eventually moving to San Diego), Atlanta.

I am currently, in the east coast but the cities will be too expensive for me (NYC, Boston), and I would prefer a warmer climate because of my son.

Apologies for the long post and thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 PM

484 posts, read 882,175 times
Out of the places that you mentioned, Atlanta has by far the healthiest economy and business climate. Also, Atlanta has some fun activities that your kids would enjoy such as the Fernbank Science Center (Ah I loved that field trip back in the day haha), Six Flags, and the Georgia Aquarium (largest in the world!). I'm assuming you're a beach person because of possibly moving to San Diego and Tampa. Unfortunately Atlanta is 5 hours away from the nearest beach, but for that reason it is very affordable for a large city. I can't really speak for the other cities because I haven't been, but I'd strongly recommend Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks very much. Appreciate the feedback. I am not a beach person really. I mentioned those two cities because of the warm weather and also I have heard great things about San Diego.

I will check out Atlanta too. What are some of the nice areas?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Out of the places that you mentioned, Atlanta has by far the healthiest economy and business climate. Also, Atlanta has some fun activities that your kids would enjoy such as the Fernbank Science Center (Ah I loved that field trip back in the day haha), Six Flags, and the Georgia Aquarium (largest in the world!). I'm assuming you're a beach person because of possibly moving to San Diego and Tampa. Unfortunately Atlanta is 5 hours away from the nearest beach, but for that reason it is very affordable for a large city. I can't really speak for the other cities because I haven't been, but I'd strongly recommend Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM

484 posts, read 882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtoohard View Post
Hi,

Thanks very much. Appreciate the feedback. I am not a beach person really. I mentioned those two cities because of the warm weather and also I have heard great things about San Diego.

I will check out Atlanta too. What are some of the nice areas?

Thanks
Ok, well in that case I'd definitely pick Atlanta since you say you plan to be a small business owner. Generally anything on the northern side will be nicer. Roswell, Alpharetta, East Cobb, Sandy Springs, Decatur, Buckhead are all nice even though all but Buckhead are suburbs. Usually when someone says Atlanta in Georgia they mean within an hour of downtown/midtown which these are.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM

Thanks very much. Definitely something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Ok, well in that case I'd definitely pick Atlanta since you say you plan to be a small business owner. Generally anything on the northern side will be nicer. Roswell, Alpharetta, East Cobb, Sandy Springs, Decatur, Buckhead are all nice even though all but Buckhead are suburbs. Usually when someone says Atlanta in Georgia they mean within an hour of downtown/midtown which these are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.