Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:31 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Canadians are like northerners....with manners.
What does this mean? I've never been to the South, except NOVA, but I found Anglo-Canadians to be friendlier than us Northerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloStar View Post
Anyone from the South familiar with either extensive travel or living in Canada?

Cultural differences and so on.
I've been to Canada dozens of times on biz, from one-day visits to Toronto on biz to long drives through the Canadian wilderness. Lots of time in BC, Ontario, and the Maritimes.

Very different, yet very similar in some ways. For example, Southerners and Canadians seem to put a similar emphasis on things such as good manners and hospitality that the people in between do not.

Mind you, I don't include Quebec. That's an entirely different culture, one that I don't know well enough to give an opinion.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
What does this mean? I've never been to the South, except NOVA, but I found Anglo-Canadians to be friendlier than us Northerners.
That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Canadians will usually give you the time of day.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Statistically, Canadians are only about half as likely to be clinically obese.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:31 PM

462 posts, read 720,074 times
Similarities / crossovers:
+ "Cajun" culture is just a warmer, more humid version of "Quebecois" culture.
+ Both have a strong Scottish influence.
+ Western provinces are cowboy, so is Texas and Oklahoma.
+ Country music star Shania Twain is Canadian. (She sings "southern")
+ Football (Gridiron) is pretty big in both places.
+ Professional Wrestling is huge in both places. Canadian wrestlers like Bret Hart, Chris Benoit and Edge tend to go over in the South, while southern wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, and Dr. D. Dave Schultz seem to do well in Canada.

Differences:
- Canada never had slavery on a large scale. In fact it was a final destination for the underground railroad.
- Canada's snow and hockey.
- The South has beaches.
- Canada is more liberal, the South is more conservative.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Kinda random. You asked the same question in the Canada forum. Are you moving to Canada or the South?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
From my Sunbelt perspective, very different parts of the world.

Basically one is very progressive/ tolerant, more egalitarian, safe, orderly, health/ environmentally-conscious, colder (not talking about the weather) & expensive. People take public transit.

The other is much more conservative (even the cities despite what the residents think), racially/class-divided, less safe, less health/ environmentally-conscious, and more bang for the buck. Only the underclass take public transit.
This is completely untrue it's not even funny.

And no, Canadians are no less car-dependent than Americans. Their least auto-centric city, Toronto has got nothing on NYC and is less dense. Canada and USA are the two countries with the strongest automobile-centric societies in the world. Btw do you know how much more spare land they have than us?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post

And no, Canadians are no less car-dependent than Americans. Their least auto-centric city, Toronto has got nothing on NYC and is less dense. Canada and USA are the two countries with the strongest automobile-centric societies in the world. Btw do you know how much more spare land they have than us?
The USA has about 30% more vehicles per capita than Canada. Most of the difference in in multi-car families. The number of Canadian families that have a car is about the same as the US, but very few Canadian families have second or third cars.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
This is completely untrue it's not even funny.

Ok and since the op is about the South, what does NYC have anything to do with this? Your lapse reveals enough.

Having taken public transit in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Tampa Bay...and also in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary...yes there is less stigma around public transit use in Canada- they have higher per capita rates of using it, and not just the underclass take it, as is the perception in the South.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
The South is very pretty and the cities and towns have a lot of character compared to Canada and most of the United States except for maybe New England and the Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.