Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 PM

80 posts, read 157,846 times

Advertisements

What are the safest U.S. cities--small, medium, or large?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM

386 posts, read 665,500 times
Crime
Is
Errywur

Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Um, no kidding. But I'm sure you would agree that some cities have it worse (and better) than others.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 AM

10,617 posts, read 15,938,097 times
Small = safest, Medium = least safe

Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM

92,239 posts, read 122,497,241 times
It may be a matter of what kind of neighborhood can you afford as well. All cities are going to have at least a relatively rough area.

What also makes this tough is that cities vary in terms of city limits due to annexation laws and this may "water down" such information, especially if you want a neighborhood with a good degree of urbanity.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,498,191 times
The crime statistics on this very website would be far more accurate than my experiences as a tourist.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Hmmm. Okay, I can see where this is a tough question to answer. Thanks, everybody, who's tried so far.

Let me see if I can ask it a little better. Let's limit it to what would be considered the "Main Street" area. The place that might be considered the walkable downtown. I'm reading this book on Finland (yeah, I know, I know--it's not the U.S.) and it seems like the kids (even young kids) can walk around the main street areas and be pretty safe. So, I guess what I'm really asking is:

What U.S. cities--small, medium, or large, are kids (let's say tweens and up) most likely to be able to wander around town (mainly the downtown or commercial areas) and be relatively safe?

Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,498,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower Summer View Post
Hmmm. Okay, I can see where this is a tough question to answer. Thanks, everybody, who's tried so far.

Let me see if I can ask it a little better. Let's limit it to what would be considered the "Main Street" area. The place that might be considered the walkable downtown. I'm reading this book on Finland (yeah, I know, I know--it's not the U.S.) and it seems like the kids (even young kids) can walk around the main street areas and be pretty safe. So, I guess what I'm really asking is:

What U.S. cities--small, medium, or large, are kids (let's say tweens and up) most likely to be able to wander around town (mainly the downtown or commercial areas) and be relatively safe?
As far as kids alone in the city, it depends more on the kid than the city. I'd be more worried about the tween causing trouble than being the victim of it. Tweens and teens don't have money, so they are not worth the time and risk to rob. As long as your kids are not trying to score drugs and know not to get in a car with a Richard Simmons impersonator, I think they'll be fine just about everywhere.

When I was 10-years old growing up in Tucson in 1994, I discovered public transportation, which opened a world freedom to me. For just 60 cents, I could go to the 4th Avenue District (the hippie part of town), friends' houses, the pool, downtown, the mall, or the record store whenever I wanted. I was never home then after. I got my first job at 15. That year I took the greyhound bus to San Diego for my first vacation by myself. The next year I booked a plane ticket to New York City, alone.

Tucson is slightly safer than average in terms of violent crime and significantly worse than average in terms of property crime. That said, I never encountered anything remotely dangerous as a tween bumming around 4th Avenue and traveling by bus.

But, assuming your kids have street smarts and know how to read a map, my sense is that the downtown areas with a high population density, lots of people out and about, with a diverse mix of businesses would probably be the safest.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 AM

27,321 posts, read 28,389,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower Summer View Post
I can't think of any U.S. city that does NOT have a safe downtown/commercial area. (Gotta watch out for traffic though.) The blighted areas of certain cities are usually in the residential areas.

So, I guess the answer is all of them.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Okay, here's a few examples of what I'm talking about:

Saratoga Springs, NY--great city for kids (or anyone) to wander around in.
Troy, NY--not so much.

Chapel Hill, NC--fine.
Wilmington, NC--not really.

San Francisco, CA--pretty good, in parts.
San Bernardino, CA--are you kidding me?

Now, maybe all of these places don't have a real sort of "downtown" but where are the places that do and where can kids generally wander around on their own safely?

Please don't tell me I have to move to Finland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.