Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:21 PM

34 posts, read 34,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Phoenix is MUCH worse-do not forget that there is monsoon humidity there too, so it can be 115F and humid-far worse than 90F and humid. Phoenix also does not get as windy as the South as often. If it is windy, it is a hot, blowdryer-type wind. But even just a dry 115F is worse than a humid 90F.
How many full summers have you spent in the SE. US ? I spent well over 20 years of my life in the deep south; south Alabama, North Florida and S. Mississippi to be exact. The heat index in S. Mississippi and S. Alabama at times surpasses 120 degrees and I can tell you that aside from the occassional hurricane, Tropical storm or severe thunderstorm, it is not windy in the deep south during the summer months !
As for Arizona Monsoon humidity; during a typical monsoon season day in Arizona or Nevada one can expect to encounter Dew Points in the low 50s. A dewpoint of 52 and a temperature of 100 is very uncomfortable, but such conditions do not compare to typical conditions one can expect to experience during the summer months in the deep south where temperatures straddle the century mark and dewpoints approach even 80 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
In my opinion, desert heat in the summer is worse than deep south summer heat. They're both bad, but I actually found deep south heat to at least be breathable. When I first experienced the heat in Las Vegas, it was so foreign to me, being from CT. It was INTENSE! It was just as bad as winter in CT, IMO. The kind of heat that is so intense that makes you want to quickly get inside the building or car. In the deep south, at least you can be okay for a few minutes until you start sweating like crazy, but I found the air a little easier to breath, even with the humidity. Still bad though. But it makes me appreciate how wonderful and comfortable summers are in New England! Typical New England summer is mid 80's with moderate humidity.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 PM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
Ive been all over the deep south. I live in San Antonio now and we get humidity with high temps. Alot of the times the humidity is as high as other southern states. And San Antonio is hot!!!!!!!

I spent the weekend in Eastern New Mexico, the humidy was around maybe 30% and the temps were 100degrees and guess what......it was freakin hot with that intense sun. I just wanted to go inside with the a.c. and this is coming from someone who spends lots of time outside in the San Antonio summers.

Either way, its hot in both places, just a different hot. Both suck.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:58 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
I personally prefer Arizona. Dry heat feels better, 100 degrees with low humidity is comparable in my opinion to the upper 80's-low 90's with high humidity. Just utilize the pool, hydrate frequently, avoid exerting yourself outside in the middle of the day and you will be fine. Phoenix sunsets are beautiful, mountains loom in the background and the rows of palm trees are cool to look at

Old 07-19-2016, 10:34 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
hahahaa deep south hands down. Ever spent a summer in South Carolina? Hell.
Why is this even a question?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I like that Arizona has the option of going from low desert valley (Phoenix) to high alpine terrain (Flagstaff) in about a two hour drive and a 30 degree drop in temperature. I wonder how much cooler the Smoky Mountains are relative to say the lower elevations of the Piedmont in the Carolinas.
Boone, NC which is at 3,500' has normal highs in the upper 60's in the summer (but humid), with mornings in the upper 50's, the highest smoky is 6,000ft, so using extrapolation, probably afternoons in the upper 50's at the peak.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I noticed that as well. I lived in Phoenix 3 separate times; first for a year in '87, then from '91 to '95, then from '98 to 2001. There was a definite noticeable increase in localized humidity. Back in '87, it would cool off enough late at night, even in the hottest months to a somewhat comfortable level. By my 3rd time living there, that never happened (in those same peak-heat months). In fact, there were a few nights when the temps never even went below triple-digits. Some nights it even felt downright muggy.

Just look at how much Phoenix has grown in such a short time. All those man-made lakes, golf courses, swimming pools, and irrigated lawns add up to a higher heat index. And sure, there is relief a few hours to the North, but what's the point of burning that much money on gas driving uphill just to get a little temporary relief? I can do that more efficiently with air-conditioning.
The warmest night ever in Phoenix had a low of 96, so EVERY NIGHT has gone below 100 in recorded history

Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Ive been all over the deep south. I live in San Antonio now and we get humidity with high temps. Alot of the times the humidity is as high as other southern states. And San Antonio is hot!!!!!!!

I spent the weekend in Eastern New Mexico, the humidy was around maybe 30% and the temps were 100degrees and guess what......it was freakin hot with that intense sun. I just wanted to go inside with the a.c. and this is coming from someone who spends lots of time outside in the San Antonio summers.

Either way, its hot in both places, just a different hot. Both suck.
I've lived in Phoenix half my life, and still think the Texas Triangle has the worst summers in the US. I remember getting out of a rental car in San Antonio at 9 at night in July and just exploding with sweat. I also remember being VERY sweaty and uncomfortable at a Rangers/Padres game, also in July (night game, thank god). That has never happened in Phoenix.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:12 AM

379 posts, read 289,102 times
Arizona is far worse. That BS "dry heat" excuse is not enough to save it.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:52 AM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've lived in Phoenix half my life, and still think the Texas Triangle has the worst summers in the US. I remember getting out of a rental car in San Antonio at 9 at night in July and just exploding with sweat. I also remember being VERY sweaty and uncomfortable at a Rangers/Padres game, also in July (night game, thank god). That has never happened in Phoenix.

I absolutely agree, the nights are alot worse. I was sitting outside at 11pm last night and was sweating. Nights out west are cooler or feel better, i cant speak on Phoenix though. But yes San Antonio nights suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.