Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM

28 posts, read 65,245 times

Advertisements

Arizona - average highs of 100, but it's a "dry heat'. Even April has what would be summer weather in most places (average highs of 85). BTW I'm talking about Phoenix/Southern Arizona, I realize that northern Arizona has a completely different climate.

Deep South - average highs of 90, but much more humid and steamy. Summers are long, but not quite as long as southern Arizona's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:46 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
I like that Arizona has the option of going from low desert valley (Phoenix) to high alpine terrain (Flagstaff) in about a two hour drive and a 30 degree drop in temperature. I wonder how much cooler the Smoky Mountains are relative to say the lower elevations of the Piedmont in the Carolinas.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:53 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,079 times
Default Arizona is much worse

First of all there is something wrong with the heat index formula. It doesn't seem to calculate the effect of being out in the full sun. Believe me I have lived for years in both Phoenix and Houston. the Arizona heat in the mid summer is worse by far. I remember days that were so hot that there was no way humanly possible to be outside in that kind of heat for any length of time. you could not walk barefoot outside or your feet would be severely burned. I also remember that anything you touch will burn you even the steering wheel of your car. I also remember that all of the litter on the ground would turn bleach white from the sun beating on it all day long. I remember that even at 10pm it would still be over 100 degrees. I remember that in the dead of the summer there would be total silence because there was nothing alive outside. Not even a housefly could survive the summers. The only living things I remember seeing outside were lizards and ants. I remember having visitors from out of town once in the summer and we had to stay inside the entire time they visited. they couldn't believe how incredibly hot it was in Arizona.

the reason why the Arizona heat is worse is because outside you are always in the FULL SUN. It is like an oven element baking you. the oven effect is worse than having humidity. Remember that temperatures are taken in the shade and only air temps are measured. My thermometer which was in the sun would always read over 130 DEGREES. The recorded temperature would be like 108 but in reality it was 135 degrees in the full sun. When the temps would reach 115+ it would be like HELL outside with full sun temps reaching as high as 150 degrees.

In the south although you have humidity there are usually clouds protecting you from the sun and even the humidity seems to offer protection from the sun. Yes, the humidity does bring the heat index up a bit but it is no comparison to what the full sun does to you.

Last edited by jd433; 12-10-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,137 times
Think I agree with jd. I remember that in Arizona I could feel the sun cook my skin by just standing in it. In the southeast you sweat like crazy, but that's natures way to cool your body off. Agree too that clouds and trees help a lot. As for the Smoky Mountains comparison to say the coastal plains in Carolina; the temperture will be at least ten to fifteen degrees cooler in the mountains, and is about a two and a half hours away, but on the coast you'll certainly get a nice breeze most of the time to cool you off even in mid summer.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
I've lived in both and I can definitely say that IMO they're both equally miserable. However, I agree with jd433 that Phoenix was slightly worse. I too remember those 115 days (and a few more even hotter than that), when the sun felt like little needles piercing your bare flesh. I mean, it actually HURT to go out in the sun sometimes, even for a minute or two. I don't ever remember getting that sensation in Houston. In Houston, it was more like feeling crushed by the humidity, rather than being stabbed by the sun.

Either way, I'm just happy I live in the PNW today.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 AM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Arizona is worse. I don't care if its a dry heat or not, 115 degrees is ridiculous. If you like that then you can always turn your oven on and stick your head in it, as it amounts to about the same thing. I live in the south, yes 90s and humid a lot. Is it sticky and uncomfortable?? yes it is, but I have been to Arizona and its hard to be outside in the 110 plus weather.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 AM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I like that Arizona has the option of going from low desert valley (Phoenix) to high alpine terrain (Flagstaff) in about a two hour drive and a 30 degree drop in temperature. I wonder how much cooler the Smoky Mountains are relative to say the lower elevations of the Piedmont in the Carolinas.

I live near the Smoky mountains (TN side), and yes its much cooler up there. It can be in the 90s down here but in the high elevations it can be 75 degrees. In the winter it gets almost up north kinda cold and snow up in the high elevations. Its a different environment over 5000 feet elevation than it is down in the valley. I love going up in the mountains any time of year, very beautiful up there. It is truly Gods country.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Seems worse in the Deep South to me. yeah there's more shade in the south but I don't linger in the summer sun in either place and once you're in shade in Phoenix, it's more bearable than Florida shade where you'll still be dripping wet. Also, the nights in Phoenix are more bearable imo due to the lower humidity. You do have the mountain option nearby in Phoenix to go to Prescott or Flag where it's never really hot.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:19 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Arizona heat is intense. Dry or not, at 105-112 being "dry" doesn't much matter. The last summers I lived there weren't that dry; dew points were elevated and very uncomfortable along with the high temps.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Arizona heat is intense. Dry or not, at 105-112 being "dry" doesn't much matter. The last summers I lived there weren't that dry; dew points were elevated and very uncomfortable along with the high temps.
I noticed that as well. I lived in Phoenix 3 separate times; first for a year in '87, then from '91 to '95, then from '98 to 2001. There was a definite noticeable increase in localized humidity. Back in '87, it would cool off enough late at night, even in the hottest months to a somewhat comfortable level. By my 3rd time living there, that never happened (in those same peak-heat months). In fact, there were a few nights when the temps never even went below triple-digits. Some nights it even felt downright muggy.

Just look at how much Phoenix has grown in such a short time. All those man-made lakes, golf courses, swimming pools, and irrigated lawns add up to a higher heat index. And sure, there is relief a few hours to the North, but what's the point of burning that much money on gas driving uphill just to get a little temporary relief? I can do that more efficiently with air-conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.