Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,491,519 times

Advertisements

I have visited Sqirrell Hill and while it has more great businesses and the surrounding houses are more beautiful, it is basically one commercial strip with houses beyond them.

Mount Adams has 3-4 streets with businesses, the houses seem a bit more intermixed, and then the views -when you encounter them - are nothing short of spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM

549 posts, read 843,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMHNut View Post
Do you work for the company that does the segway tours over there? I always see them cruising around everywhere from Washington Park to Sawyer Point. It looks like fun.
Nope, I'm not at Segway. I shouldn't advertise on here, but we're the company that does the Newport Gangster tour and the Queen City Underground tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I have visited Sqirrell Hill and while it has more great businesses and the surrounding houses are more beautiful, it is basically one commercial strip with houses beyond them.

Mount Adams has 3-4 streets with businesses, the houses seem a bit more intermixed, and then the views -when you encounter them - are nothing short of spectacular.
I agree. Mt Adams has an adorably intimate business district, and Squirrel Hill doesn't have the views that Mt Adams has:

I would kill to live in this little house:

NOTE to Mods: I took these terribly composed shots a long time ago.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 PM

47 posts, read 63,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post

I agree. Mt Adams has an adorably intimate business district, and Squirrel Hill doesn't have the views that Mt Adams has:
You want views Mt Washington in Pittsburgh has some of the best views in the US from Grandview, but the reason I brought up SQ Hill is that it was said that you couldnt find anyplace like Mt Adams anywhere in the Eastern US. That is simply not at all true. I actually originally was going to say Mt Washington. (PGH Mt Washington not Cincy) but decided to throw Squirrel Hill out there instead. Could also have compared it to the SouthSide Slopes though for the most part you have to go to the flats at the bottom of the hill for the Business district. Urban Hilltop Neighborhoods are a dime a dozen in Pittsburgh far more so than they are in Cincinnati. I dont want to sound negative towards Mt Adams because I do live in Cincinnati now and I do like Mt Adams but to say you cant find anything like it anywhere in the Eastern US is just ridiculous. There are even other neighborhoods in Cincinnati with great views too. East Price Hill is a vastly underrated neighborhood with some good views and businesses. I would like to know what Mt Adams has that makes it unique throughout the Eastern US? Its businesses are spread out on 3 streets as opposed to Squirrel Hill which has 2 streets full of Businesses? (Forbes/Murray) That doesnt seem like enough to call it unique. Its density? Troy Hill Polish Hill Fineview I could go on with dense PGH Hilltop neighborhoods. Yes I prefer Mt Adams over most of those but that doesnt make Mt Adams unique. I didnt take the time to look back to see who it was that said you cant find a neighborhood like Mt Adams anywhere in the Eastern US but whoever it was has clearly spent very little time in Pittsburgh.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Is say the old money neighborhoods of Strathmore, Sedgwick and Scottholm, along with Westcott, University Hill and the Armory Square and Hanover Square districts of Downtown.

Those views of Mt. Adams reminds me a little bit of the Prospect Hill area here: https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetvie...890434422,,0,0

Old 12-18-2013, 01:14 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,152,454 times
Interesting photos of Cincy. I was strolling around parts of Cincinnati on Google Maps and I was surprised by how East Coast-looking that city is. It was the same way with Cleveland, Columbus, and St. Louis as well. Those cities look like they could definitely fit in well in Pennsylvania, New York, or Maryland.

Speaking of Maryland, I live in Prince George's County which abuts DC from the northeast and southeast. Some of the best "neighborhoods" (More like cities, towns, unincorporated places, etc.) are Bowie, College Park, Greenbelt, Mount Rainier, City of Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, Fort Washington, Laurel, Mitchellville, Woodmore, Cheverly, Upper Marlboro, Marlton, Brandywine, and University Park.

As for DC itself, I would say some of the best neighborhoods IMO are Takoma, Penn Quarter, Capitol Hill, Georgetown, Logan Circle, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Glover Park, Columbia Heights, Fort Dupont, Brookland, Mount Pleasant, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Friendship Heights, Chinatown/Gallery Place, and Cardozo.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 AM

7,773 posts, read 10,066,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Have to make a pitch for three of my favorite Jacksonville neighborhoods: Ponte Vedra, Atlantic Beach and Ortega.
Sure, those are all nice in their own ways, although I'd personally swap out Neptune Beach for Atlantic.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,911,375 times
For Baltimore, probably a tie between Federal Hill and Mount Vernon, though Bolton Hill, Hampden, Homewood (just north of JHU), Canton, and Little Italy aren't far behind. Many are close to downtown and despite the city as having lots of abandoned/impovershed neighborhoods, these compete with the similar neighborhoods found in other large cities. Federal Hill is similar to Capitol Hill in DC or Society Hill in Philly or Beacon Hill in Boston. Mount Vernon is like a smaller, slightly less tony Dupont Circle or Rittenhouse or Back Bay. Bolton Hill, while surrounded by dangerous neighborhoods to its west, still has some old money leftover and is near the arts district. Hampden isn't unlike Manayunk while Homewood/Charles North resembles a mini-University City or Cambridge. Little Italy/the Inner Harbor East/Fells Point/Canton all are continguous with one another providing a nice long area near the harbor with lots of great sights to see.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,848,474 times
Two of my favorite neighborhoods in Philly:

Northwest Philadelphia

Mount Airy-Recognized by some civil rights groups as the first successfully integrated neighborhood in the country, Mount Airy is a leafy streetcar suburb nestled next to The Wissahickon Gorge and Fairmount Park. It was recently named by CNN Money as one the best big city neighborhoods in the country. While most of Philly's neighborhoods have rowhomes Mount Airy has beautiful stone single and twin homes in addition to all kinds of different rows. The neighborhood has two regional rail lines for easy access into Center City. I grew up here.

To the North is Chestnut Hill-a very wealthy enclave with beautiful homes and a cute downtown. To the South is Germantown-a mega neighborhood that is poorer yet very diverse and eclectic with beautiful architecture. Germantown is oozing with unique history (first protest againt slavery, oldest surviving Presidential residence, Battle of Germantown) and I currently live here.

Best big-city neighborhoods - Mount Airy, Philadelphia (5) - Money Magazine

South Philadelphia

Passyunk Square-Part old school Italian, part hipster-this part of South Philly features a well known tourist destination (Pats and Genos Cheesesteaks) but really has so much more to offer. The Italian Market (oldest and largest outdoor market in the country), Passyunk Ave which features many bars and restaurants. The Holidays are great in South Philly as residents string lights across the little streets.

Philly has so many neighborhoods though and I love many of them. Most would probably pick a neighborhood in Center City as the best, and I would probably agree. I love Fitler Square and Rittenhouse Square.

Most of the neighborhoods:

Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 AM

549 posts, read 843,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMHNut View Post
You want views Mt Washington in Pittsburgh has some of the best views in the US from Grandview, but the reason I brought up SQ Hill is that it was said that you couldnt find anyplace like Mt Adams anywhere in the Eastern US. That is simply not at all true. I actually originally was going to say Mt Washington. (PGH Mt Washington not Cincy) but decided to throw Squirrel Hill out there instead. Could also have compared it to the SouthSide Slopes though for the most part you have to go to the flats at the bottom of the hill for the Business district. Urban Hilltop Neighborhoods are a dime a dozen in Pittsburgh far more so than they are in Cincinnati. I dont want to sound negative towards Mt Adams because I do live in Cincinnati now and I do like Mt Adams but to say you cant find anything like it anywhere in the Eastern US is just ridiculous. There are even other neighborhoods in Cincinnati with great views too. East Price Hill is a vastly underrated neighborhood with some good views and businesses. I would like to know what Mt Adams has that makes it unique throughout the Eastern US? Its businesses are spread out on 3 streets as opposed to Squirrel Hill which has 2 streets full of Businesses? (Forbes/Murray) That doesnt seem like enough to call it unique. Its density? Troy Hill Polish Hill Fineview I could go on with dense PGH Hilltop neighborhoods. Yes I prefer Mt Adams over most of those but that doesnt make Mt Adams unique. I didnt take the time to look back to see who it was that said you cant find a neighborhood like Mt Adams anywhere in the Eastern US but whoever it was has clearly spent very little time in Pittsburgh.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I prefer the views in Bellevue Hill and Devou Parks FAR better than Mt Adams...and NOTHING compares to Mt Washington's view of Pittsburgh. The top of that incline is iconic. That said, none of those neighborhoods in Pittsburgh have the intimacy that Mt Adams provides. Mt Adams is a quaint, soft, hilltop village surrounded by a city. It's relaxed and quiet up there. Squirrel Hill is FAR more active and vibrant than Mt Adams will ever be.

Remember, my vote is for Over-the-Rhine for best neighborhood. I don't know who said that Mt Adams is unique, but I'll agree with them. I personally can't think of another neighborhood in the US with that much charm bundled with an urban island effect. Try grabbing some ice cream at UDF on a summer night and walking to Guido St. It's bliss.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM

47 posts, read 63,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Interesting photos of Cincy. I was strolling around parts of Cincinnati on Google Maps and I was surprised by how East Coast-looking that city is. It was the same way with Cleveland, Columbus, and St. Louis as well. Those cities look like they could definitely fit in well in Pennsylvania, New York, or Maryland.
I disagree about Columbus. Outside of the inner most core that City is suburban subdivision hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.