Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I thought Maryland, Virginia, and Georgia (surprised to find out) were the only states on the Eastern Seaboard with wild ponies.
SC has a small population of wild horses as well near Beaufort; they are known as Marsh Ponies. Update: Marsh ponies of Little Horse Island make it through difficult winter | Untamed Lowcountry | The Island Packet

And then there's this: Morgan Island: Beaufort County's Island of Monkeys - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

The SC Lowcountry is a very intriguing place I tell ya.

Now back to VA, NC, and MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Would y'all say the Richmond area is more like North Carolina or Maryland?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Would y'all say the Richmond area is more like North Carolina or Maryland?
Between both states, I think Baltimore reminds me of Richmond than any other city overall.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Between both states, I think Baltimore reminds me of Richmond than any other city overall.
Winston-Salem?

Old 05-19-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Winston-Salem?
Baltimore has a water feature and rowhouses in addition to tobacco history and being more historic like Richmond, and their cores are more similar in terms of size than Richmond and Winston-Salem. And they both have ties to Edgar Allen Poe.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:30 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
This goofy @jayjaycb is always trying to insinuate there is some major degree of closeness/similarity between Richmond and Winston. Where have you been? For the last time, while there may be a thread or two of similarity between Richmond and Winston, the similarities between Richmond and Baltimore OR Washington are more pronounced, more varied, and more noticeable. Stop the madness...

Old 05-19-2015, 05:46 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This goofy @jayjaycb is always trying to insinuate there is some major degree of closeness/similarity between Richmond and Winston. Where have you been? For the last time, while there may be a thread or two of similarity between Richmond and Winston, the similarities between Richmond and Baltimore OR Washington are more pronounced, more varied, and more noticeable. Stop the madness...
He isn't the only one...I think there are good similarities between Winston-Salem and Richmond too. Having spent a good deal of time in both, the similarities are easy to see and I believe have already been discussed here. Richmond may be a tad larger than W-S, but DC and Baltimore dwarf Richmond - so it's very hard for me to see true similarities between those cities outside of a "thread or two".

Okay, your opinion is different and you have made that known. But you can't stop others from having opinions in a discussion just because they are different from yours. Some people (you included apparently) seem totally offended that anyone would dare to see anything similar between Richmond and Winston-Salem, when there are obviously lots of them. Are you at all familiar with W-S? Because most people aren't...it's usually completely overlooked in favor of other NC cities.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-19-2015 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Baltimore has a water feature and rowhouses in addition to tobacco history and being more historic like Richmond, and their cores are more similar in terms of size than Richmond and Winston-Salem. And they both have ties to Edgar Allen Poe.
I would definitely say that Richmond and W-S cores are more similar in size than Richmond and Baltimore. Baltimore is MUCH larger than Richmond, while Richmond is a little larger than W-S.

Are you unaware of the very large area of downtown W-S called Old Salem? Or the huge historic industrial areas that have been refurbished? Or the second largest Victorian architecture district in NC? Or the historic high rises that have been repurposed? No, they aren't row homes, but the history in Winston-Salem (Colonial, Victorian, and turn of the century) is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:55 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
You can't knock anybody's opinion but besides the history of tobacco (which is common amongst cities in neighboring states) I don't see many similarities between RVA and WS that are somewhat exclusive between the two.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
You can't knock anybody's opinion but besides the history of tobacco (which is common amongst cities in neighboring states) I don't see many similarities between RVA and WS that are somewhat exclusive between the two.
There are several, but I don't want to derail this thread any further from the actual topic. There have been threads in the past (I think, or maybe somewhere else) on this subject.

I'm not sure I stated it earlier, but I think VA has much more in common with NC than MD. NC and VA are practically twins.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-19-2015 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.