Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 AM

8 posts, read 12,488 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and would like some information on entertainment in Austin. I'm a nursing student about to graduate in May and my fiance is a SLP student who will be graduating in July. We are looking to relocate from west of Atlanta and were interested in Knoxville, Nashville, Austin or Greenville to relocate to, mainly to have just a change of scenery. I want something that has a nice entertainment vibe with great bars, restaurants, and music areas. However, I would like to eventually settle down and start a family so moving to an area within 25 min of the entertainment/shops wouldn't be so bad either. One of the things I'm noticing about my search is that most of the entertainment such as bars/restaurants is downtown. This has been primarily for Greenville because that is where I have done most of my search but, I was wondering if there were any other areas besides downtown that people can go to? For example: Atlanta has downtown (which isnt that great imo), Virginia Highlands, Little 5 points, East Atlanta, Vinings, Midtown, Buckhead, etc. and all of these areas have great bars and restaurants to go to... I also visited a friend in Nashville and my fiance and I visited the downtown area. At first I was like "wow, this place really is country!" but then my friend was like "none of the locals go downtown!" and took me to a cool area with bars that did not play country. I know it would be better to come and visit to see for myself but I'm unavailable to travel at the moment and would like some insight! Thanks!

P.s I did post in the Greenville and Knoxville forums also to see if I could get some insight there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Apparently you can't post similar threads in the other cities' forums without it being viewed as a duplicate? It wasn't really a duplicate because I was asking about those specific cities info so now if anyone has info on all the other areas I mentioned in my post, that would be great.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I'd recommend Nashville as it is hip/fun and nowhere as expensive as Austin which for being in the South/Texas isn't really that affordable. Greenville and Knoxville are much smaller and outside of their respective downtown areas don't offer many other options. The attachment below is a pretty good example of how diverse Nashville is geographically.

Nashville Neighborhoods | Visit Nashville, TN - Music City

Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! Yeah my friend took us to Midtown which I liked. I like that it has all these different areas to go to. I'd get bored going to the same area every weekend.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Austin and Nashville are on going to be on a completely different level than Greenville and Knoxville.

Nashville has all the stereotypical country stuff downtown, but there is also a heavy music presence throughout the city. You also have all the colleges and all the options that this brings. You also have the Titans and the Predators. Nashville has also a symphony orchestra.

Knoxville is smaller and doesn't have much going on besides events related to UT-K. Some shows come through here, but again, not a lot. It has better outdoor recreation opportunities than Nashville IMO.

Greenville's downtown is top notch for its size (spent a lot of time this summer), but otherwise not much going on. You're halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta which opens up options.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Obviously Nashville and Austin will blow the others away as they are known for their entertainment industry and will attract performers.

Of the other two, Knoxville has a very good entertainment/dining scene for its size. I have to disagree with emigrations and assume that his last visit was 10+ years ago.

Here is a post about downtown restaurants/clubs from another thread:

Old City: 7+4 = 11
Market square: 9 +6 = 15
Gay st north of TN theater 8 + 2 = 10
Other downtown including the south end of Gay st: 4 + 7 = 11

So that is 47 total. My quick guessitmate is about 25% food only, 50% food + drink, 25% primarily bars/clubs.

There are 6-8 clubs downtown that regularly schedule entertainment, plus two historic theaters. Nearby are the civic colloseum and Thompson Boling arena for bigger acts.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:09 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Obviously Nashville and Austin will blow the others away as they are known for their entertainment industry and will attract performers.

Of the other two, Knoxville has a very good entertainment/dining scene for its size. I have to disagree with emigrations and assume that his last visit was 10+ years ago.

Here is a post about downtown restaurants/clubs from another thread:

Old City: 7+4 = 11
Market square: 9 +6 = 15
Gay st north of TN theater 8 + 2 = 10
Other downtown including the south end of Gay st: 4 + 7 = 11

So that is 47 total. My quick guessitmate is about 25% food only, 50% food + drink, 25% primarily bars/clubs.

There are 6-8 clubs downtown that regularly schedule entertainment, plus two historic theaters. Nearby are the civic colloseum and Thompson Boling arena for bigger acts.

Everything this post says and I would like to add something. The other towns your considering do not have the wealth of outdoor activities of the Knoxville area. The Smoky mountain NP is a short drive away, as are the Cumberland mountains to the northwest. Lots of hiking fishing and hunting can be had in a short distance. Also there are some really great museums around Knoxville and surrounding area. If you also consider the amount of entertainment available in the tourist areas of Pigeon forge and Gatlinburg (40 min drive) then you do have a TON of entertainment available to you.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:18 AM

Thanks guys!

Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
6th street austin, texas - a TOTAL austin entertainment guide.

Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.