Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You don't think there are pine trees (aka "evergreens") up north? The same kind of tree synonymous with snow and Christmas??
Houston has the Longleaf Pine, a variety that is indigenous to the coastal South. You won't see them in the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:33 AM

484 posts, read 882,731 times
I guess....Atlanta sounds right. I wouldn't go as far as to say the public transit is great, but it is greatly improving.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I guess....Atlanta sounds right. I wouldn't go as far as to say the public transit is great, but it is greatly improving.
My only real beef with MARTA is that the rail and bus lines just dont have enough run times. They were cut during the recession out of budgetary considerations. The new director has done a great turnaround on operations over the last couple of years, however. He has MARTA finally turning a profit, and has said that he is addressing this issue.
I will say the rail cars and buses on MARTA are clean and well maintained, more so than what I've found in other cities.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:27 AM

484 posts, read 882,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My only real beef with MARTA is that the rail and bus lines just dont have enough run times. They were cut during the recession out of budgetary considerations. The new director has done a great turnaround on operations over the last couple of years, however. He has MARTA finally turning a profit, and has said that he is addressing this issue.
I will say the rail cars and buses on MARTA are clean and well maintained, more so than what I've found in other cities.
Yes they really don't a great job covering the metro area, or even the city for that matter. I'm excited to see what kind of impact the beltline will have on commercial and residential development as well as road congestion.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
These questions are always subjective and relative. To me there are less than ten cities that have "great" public transit, and Dallas isn't really like any of them.

My closest comparison would be Atlanta just for being in the south and being cheap, but Atlanta's transit isnt that great either.

Atlanta does not look any thing like Dallas.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
Maybe Sydney, Australia, but I've never been there.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Maybe Philadelphia or Washington, D.C.?

I have not been to Dallas though. I'm just going off of metro area size.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston, a northern city?

I've never seen any bayous, swamps, pine trees, & palm trees up north how about you?

Most southern cities are frown on by the north. So when they move to the south they well change how city looks so called new urbanism movement .

Much of Fort Lauderdale and Miami in past 10 years have change a lot.( if you go more inland you see more classic how city looked).That is why I like Tampa and Dallas over Fort Lauderdale and Miami .

There is some of this new urbanism movement in north west Dallas.But it seems Dallas folks are trying to keep the new urbanism movement to not get too extreme.

To me the city and suburbs in Dallas and Tampa seem older.Where Houston seem too suburb or too new so called new urbanism.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Most southern cities are frown on by the north. So when they move to the south they well change how city looks so called new urbanism movement .

Much of Fort Lauderdale and Miami in past 10 years have change a lot.( if you go more inland you see more classic how city looked).That is why I like Tampa and Dallas over Fort Lauderdale and Miami .

There is some of this new urbanism movement in north west Dallas.But it seems Dallas folks are trying to keep the new urbanism movement to not get too extreme.

To me the city and suburbs in Dallas and Tampa seem older.Where Houston seem too suburb or too new so called new urbanism.
I don't get this at all. ALL of the major U.S. "sunbelt" metros are making efforts to become more urban/dense. It has nothing to do with Northerners moving there either. It has everything to do with making these cities/metros more manageable and walkable. Once runaway sprawl becomes a serious problem, like it has in places like Houston, DFW, Atlanta, Phoenix, Charlotte, etc., certain measures have to be taken in order to keep these places from becoming a 24-7 gridlock nightmare. One of those measures being this so-called "new urbanism" thing you're referring to.

NONE of these cities look "Northern", even with the newer, more dense gentrified neighborhoods. There are no Brownstones (that I'm aware of) in the South, and though row houses are becoming popular in the big Southern sunbelt cities, they look nothing like the old row houses in places like Philly, Baltimore, or Boston. Houston already had row houses in the 3rd and 4th wards prior to gentrification, or "new urbanism" as you call it... but they had reached such a state of decay and neglect that many were torn down and replaced with a more "updated" version.

It's not the South becoming more Northern. It's sunbelt metros trying to protect their respective future.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post

To me Houston and Austin look too much like northern city.Where Dallas and Fort Worth look more southern.
.... wha?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.