Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 09:12 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Atlanta is an “it City” for African Americans

Portland at least was a city like that where people just moved to with no plan. It was a big problem in that city from 2005-2015ish that migration was much higher than job growth. That IMO is what a”cool city” is.

Chicago if anything is hampered by the lack of migration.
Good point, I didn't think of that. DC is as well, but to a lesser extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 10:16 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPositiveRespect View Post
No one should say Philly is not cool or nothing cool there. But sometimes depending on age, if more into high caliber attributes or not etc.

Most are young Professionals, Millenial's and all ages. To say teenagers is moot. Just a expected jab some may use.

I thought you were ftom Texas in origin. But MarketStEl - said you are originally from Philly and lived in Texas before relocating. May be in retirement or was just before. But it apparently was Home.

Irrevalant if you see my post. But the comment of - not caring what teenages have to post in opinions. Puts down C-D too. Comments are across te board for all ages in the thread. But perceptions by age can differ and eduvmcation level etc.

You would not like being labeled too old to know cool.
My 30 something son sometimes acts like a teenager. I've asked, "What?! Are you 12 years old?" Adult males shouldn't have hissy fits. Females shouldn't, either, but we used to get a pass.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:27 AM

142 posts, read 86,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You’re right. I moved to Philly because I think it’s cool. And it is cool. Who gives a flip what some teenager on the internet thinks?
No one should say Philly is not cool or nothing cool there. But sometimes depending on age, if more into high caliber attributes or not etc.? Their cool range differs.

Most here are young Professionals, Millenial's and to all ages no doubt. To say teenagers is moot. Just a expected jab some may use.

I thought you were ftom Texas in origin. But MarketStEl - said you are originally from Philly and lived in Texas before relocating. May be in retirement or was just before. But it apparently was Home.

Irrevalant if you see my post. But the comment of - not caring what teenages have to post in opinions. Puts down C-D too. Comments are across the board for all ages in the thread. But perceptions by age can differ and education level etc.

You would not like being labeled too old to know cool. right.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I love Chicago but since you asked, I have to be honest. There a plenty of things that Chicago does better than Philly but not the ones listed below.

What Philly does better than Chicago
1. Better weather
2. Better location
3. Better beaches
4. Better bar scene
5. Better sports culture
6. Better street food
7. Better light rail transportation
8. Better suburbs

9. Better natural scenery
10. Better cultural history

Good grief no, at least with those highlighted. In the 6 years from the time this was posted, I hope this poster has since been enlightened. It's tough to emphasize how wrong those criteria highlighted are.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:14 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Good grief no, at least with those highlighted. In the 6 years from the time this was posted, I hope this poster has since been enlightened. It's tough to emphasize how wrong those criteria highlighted are.
Suburbs I would call a tie. Both have an amazing collection of suburbs, not even worth debating.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:28 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
What is wrong about the highlighted ones?

Old 04-17-2020, 05:04 PM

700 posts, read 421,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That description wasn't meant to call out Chicago specifically, or any city, really--although parts of Chicago are likely good examples. It's really meant to characterize the perhaps overly polished and corporate vibe in many city downtowns today. That is a widespread phenomenon.

I won't even comment on "coolness," as that's an incredibly subjective, and for many people "loaded," term. I will say that my sense of Chicagoans (great people, by the way), is that there's perhaps a bit more of a sense of conventionalism than what you'd typically find from East Coasters--who are often incredibly neurotic or uninhibited by nature. I think that really captures the differences in what folks often observe in terms of the local social atmosphere. Generalizations? Sure. But I still think it counts for something:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rsonality.html
What’s Texas suppose to represent? Is that pink color in line with the red color of the NorthEast?

Old 04-17-2020, 05:06 PM

700 posts, read 421,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Good point, I didn't think of that. DC is as well, but to a lesser extent.
I was going to point this out. As a black man Atlanta is def the cool city even though as a black man the things that make ATL cool aren’t actually cool for all African American/Black people. You have black folks that hate ATL for the same reasons that many love it.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:22 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Technically Philadelphia does have better light rail transit but that’s just because it’s heavy rail is limited compared to Chicago so like 1/3rd of its network is light rail.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:48 PM

142 posts, read 86,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
What is wrong about the highlighted ones?
The gwilly post was from 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I love Chicago but since you asked, I have to be honest. There a plenty of things that Chicago does better than Philly but not the ones listed below.

What Philly does better than Chicago
1. Better weather
2. Better location
3. Better beaches
4. Better bar scene
5. Better sports culture
6. Better street food
7. Better light rail transportation
8. Better suburbs
9. Better natural scenery
10. Better cultural history
1 Weather - always gets a boast Philly has milder winters averaging 9° warmer. I say let them have it. They see Chi as Mid-Artic over Midwest.

2 Location - the ole' proximity to mighty NYC and Jersey Shore and all have a summer home there boast. Again, I say let them have the East Coast boast.

3 Beaches - Chicago has beaches along 26-miles on Lake Michigan and harbors and parks and right downtown too. The ole' hour to the Jersey Shore and Lake beach no comparison to a ocean debate comes. I say Chi having in city beaches still wins.

4 Bar Scene - Chi gets all the bro culture scene swipes so it's gotta have Da bar scene. Jazz bars, Blues Bars, Second City. I say Chi gets this.

5 Sports Culture - Chi with Da Bears, Da Cubs, Da Six, and Da Bulls. What's not to luv. Wrigley also gets plenty of Touist visits. Its bar-scene is very welcoming. Even the Cubs Sox split is not confrontational and Chi has - 2 baseball teams. Chicago is less radical and you have the outsider teams attire and on your car. better get you to FEAR doing it on their turf. That's that. I wear no team cap there.

6 Street Food - Chi has few street venders. It allows it in ethnic neighborhoods more for non-hot food options. But outdoor cafes and Vendor street-trucks its choice as safer food options. So this can go to Philly.

7 Better Light Rail - LOL Chi has no real light rail, no trolleys etc. So on light rail as a trick question to exclude heavy rail.

8 Better Suburbs - I'm not going there as it's moot to me a tie.

9 Natural scenery - can be a trick question if you realize that Chicago's whole lakefront and parks are manmade. Most others there are manicured by man parks. Even lagoons created. Chi spends literally 10-times what Philly does to maintain its public areas. Natural as a key word guess then goes to Philly. But no river view beats a Lake Michigan view eith blue waters and sunrise.

10 Better Culture History - Well Chi always gets the more laid back Midwest attitude and Midwest nice as a trait. On History, of Course Philly has its Colonial side, Chi does not. But it made up for a lot in the late 19th and thru the 20th century. Skycrapers created, Urban Blues, Jazz, Al Capone era visitors want more of, but the city won't hype it, but a much written about period the world knows of. The city still boomed and created its bungalow-belt of housing. But Philly has Ben Franklin, Betsy and Washington crossing the Delaware and Independence Hall. Let Philly have that one.

Last edited by ThinkPositiveRespect; 04-17-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.