Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 08:04 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

Flying over DC from Reagan National Airport heading out towards New York City. Even from the air, DC is a marvelous city of geometry and art! Lovely low-rise skyline with the National Mall, massive Downtown area, and the residential neighborhoods. Also within sight is the Potomac River and Anacostia River, the many skylines in Arlington County, and you can even see some elevation from the Appalachians in the far off distance as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Flying into Newark, you obviously land before you hit the city since Newark is about 10 miles west of NYC. Flying into LaGuardia you fly right over the city, giving you those views from right above. Newark can give you nice city views but not like those going west to east right over Manhattan. JFK, not as good I'd bet because it's south(east) of Manhattan while LaGuardia is directly east so I think LaGuardia will give you the best views flying into NYC from the west or south.

I've only ever flown to and from Newark, as well. I only go by word of my friend who is from California and frequently goes back and forth. She's gone through all three airports multiple times but the only time she's ever shared pictures of the aerial view is that time from LaGuardia.

I was unsure in my first post if it was LaGuardia or JFK but it was definitely LaGuardia.
I hardly saw the NYC skyline while I was coming in from JFK (However, I did saw some beautiful homes and cottages and wetlands while flying over northern New Jersey). And the Manhattan skyline is barely visible from JFK on the ground, which is obvious because of how deep into Queens JFK is located in. While driving into Manhattan from the airport shuttle, I saw parts of Queens for the first time ever while we were on that expressway (Forgot its name), saw those two towers and the Unisphere (It looked even bigger in real life, even from a distance) from Flushing-Meadows, I also saw this massive cemetery (I've never saw so many tombstones and obelisks in my life), the Manhattan Bridge, and different styles of architecture. This was last October and it was the second time I visited the NYC and the first time I paid Brooklyn a visit (Jay-Z's concert at the then-new Barclay's Center). Definitely would love to check out the outer boroughs more extensively next time around.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:26 PM

Flying over LA at night was an amazing sight. First time visiting LA this past September and the first day we arrived (Me and my mother), it was dark out, like around 8:00ish pm West Coast time. Los Angeles looked an overwhelmingly endless digital grid, it was an unbelievable sight. Next time around, I'm gonna visit the Griffith Observatory and the DTLA Marriott hotel tower for sure!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I hardly saw the NYC skyline while I was coming in from JFK (However, I did saw some beautiful homes and cottages and wetlands while flying over northern New Jersey). And the Manhattan skyline is barely visible from JFK on the ground, which is obvious because of how deep into Queens JFK is located in. While driving into Manhattan from the airport shuttle, I saw parts of Queens for the first time ever while we were on that expressway (Forgot its name), saw those two towers and the Unisphere (It looked even bigger in real life, even from a distance) from Flushing-Meadows, I also saw this massive cemetery (I've never saw so many tombstones and obelisks in my life), the Manhattan Bridge, and different styles of architecture. This was last October and it was the second time I visited the NYC and the first time I paid Brooklyn a visit (Jay-Z's concert at the then-new Barclay's Center). Definitely would love to check out the outer boroughs more extensively next time around.
Coming into JFK from the south you won't fly over the Manhattan skyline because JFK is so far south below Manhattan you won't pass over it. You may catch a glimpse, but maybe not. It probably depends. You'd be descending so you may not even see it until it's too late, especially during the day. I'd assume your chance is better at night. JFK is in far southeast Queens, practically out of city limits but not quite. LaGuardia is in northern Queens, kind of more west, near Flushing. You can see it from Citi Field.

Van Wyck Expressway? Grand Central Parkway?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Coming into JFK from the south you won't fly over the Manhattan skyline because JFK is so far south below Manhattan you won't pass over it. You may catch a glimpse, but maybe not. It probably depends. You'd be descending so you may not even see it until it's too late, especially during the day. I'd assume your chance is better at night. JFK is in far southeast Queens, practically out of city limits but not quite. LaGuardia is in northern Queens, kind of more west, near Flushing. You can see it from Citi Field.

Van Wyck Expressway? Grand Central Parkway?
Yep, it was Van Wyck Expressway. And now that I remember it, it was actually the Queensboro Bridge that we took when we entered Manhattan. We also rode on the Brooklyn Bridge via taxi returning to JFK from our Lower Manhattan hotel two days later. Also, we did caught sight of the Manhattan skyline as we were driving pass the Citi Field area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.