U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:26 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,169,652 times

Advertisements

What city is the most beautiful from the air? Which air routes offer the most dramatic scenery during takeoff or landing?

I love flying into BWI from the east, seeing all of the boats in the bay before giving way to the forests surrounding the city of Baltimore. My second favorite would be the view of Toronto when taking off over the lake from Billy Bishop Airport.

My least favorites are Denver, Oklahoma City, and Ontario, California.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 05:30 PM

10,161 posts, read 21,440,220 times
Seattle! It's stunning from an aerial point of view with all the green landscapes, bodies of water, and surrounding glacier covered volcanic mountains.

Landing in Boston is pretty cool too with all the peninsulas, bays, harbors, and islands around Massachusetts Bay approaching Logan Airport.

Landing in Hawaii after flying for 5 hours over the Pacific is quite the spectacle as well.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 PM

13,500 posts, read 21,942,450 times
Landing from the east or taking off towards the east from MIA is pretty spectacular, especially if one is sitting on the south side of the plane.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:07 PM

600 posts, read 828,249 times
I like flying in and out of Salt Lake during the winter. The mountains are huge and so beautiful when covered in snow. Nice in summer too.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 PM

12,899 posts, read 12,679,500 times
My friend took stunning pictures of Manhattan at night from a plane taking off from either LaGuardia or JFK. They were truly stunning, I've honestly never seen better aerial night shots of the city especially taken at night.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,169,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
My friend took stunning pictures of Manhattan at night from a plane taking off from either LaGuardia or JFK. They were truly stunning, I've honestly never seen better aerial night shots of the city especially taken at night.
I've only ever flown into Newark, which is nice, but nothing like LaGuardia from what I've heard.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 PM

12,899 posts, read 12,679,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I've only ever flown into Newark, which is nice, but nothing like LaGuardia from what I've heard.
Flying into Newark, you obviously land before you hit the city since Newark is about 10 miles west of NYC. Flying into LaGuardia you fly right over the city, giving you those views from right above. Newark can give you nice city views but not like those going west to east right over Manhattan. JFK, not as good I'd bet because it's south(east) of Manhattan while LaGuardia is directly east so I think LaGuardia will give you the best views flying into NYC from the west or south.

I've only ever flown to and from Newark, as well. I only go by word of my friend who is from California and frequently goes back and forth. She's gone through all three airports multiple times but the only time she's ever shared pictures of the aerial view is that time from LaGuardia.

I was unsure in my first post if it was LaGuardia or JFK but it was definitely LaGuardia.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 PM

17,933 posts, read 21,936,121 times
I am not a hyper urban, skyscraper loving person, but flying into LGA from the south when the sun is low in the sky, Manhattan is just freaking amazing looking. I would challenge the most urban hating, NYC despising person in the world to not admit that it is a spectacular sight to have that island and its buildings laid out before you.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:55 PM

5,302 posts, read 9,378,102 times
LA, San Diego, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Washington DC.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 AM

24,061 posts, read 37,576,151 times
I agree with Manhattan/NYC and would also add Washington DC if utilizing the approach into Reagan National from the west, which swoops in over the Potomac River (and if sitting on the left side of the plane) offers an amazing panorama of the White House, monuments, Capitol Building, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>