Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,861,678 times

Advertisements

1. Miami
2. Dallas
3. Houston

They're all 3 brutally hot/humid.

Dallas can sometimes even be an arid, almost desert like hot with heat waves coming in from the west, it just depends on the atmospheric conditions that particular summer. Just think of Phoenix on a prairie its that dry of a heat.

Houston & Miami never get that dry.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-22-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 04:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,514,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
False:
Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Houston's case, areas that are away from the coast can reach the triple digits at times during the summer. But areas that are close to the Gulf are more moderate in temperature. The Houston Metro receives powerful sea-breezes that can make it even into the most inland of portions. Thunderstorms also move through Houston periodically during the summer, and give the metro a good "tropical style" soaking, bringing in relief like it does in Miami.

Being far from the ocean, Dallas is more subject to extremes, and easily reaches triple digits, but the lesser humidity can make temps feel comfortable to some.
# 1 I don't trust Wikipedia but if Miami did have ONE day above 100F degrees that was a aberration and hasn't been repeated since 1940!

This is what I find funny though:

Miami has never recorded any snowfall although there were disputed claims of snow flurries on January 19, 1977.

There was no' "dispute" about snow in Miami on that day! The NWS did record snow flurries that day & I was a kid who ran outside and caught them in my mouth! I should know what a snow flurry is since I grew up in the northeast!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
As a rule humidity is not an issue from November through February in Miami.
However, the OP asked about summers, not winters.

My answer would be none of them. They're all too humid for me.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,301,858 times
People should think twice before bragging about those afternoon thunderstorms that cool Florida down. As a life long Floridian I absolutely HATED those afternoon thunderstorms, and this past Summer was the absolute worst. I didn't make it to the beach even once with my friends because it down-poored literally every single day of Summer. After the rain is gone the thermometer may read about five degrees cooler, but it still feels hot as hell and the mugginess will make you miserable.

I'm wondering why Atlanta isn't being compared here as well. I just moved here a few weeks ago but spent a Summer up here three years ago and really enjoyed myself. A lot of my friends had pools in the midtown condos and the party was non-stop. People really lived their summer up. It rained maybe once or twice a week. Nothing to cramp your day. It was in the high 90s most days just like Florida.

Miami does get a nice ocean breeze but only when the wind is coming from the Atlantic side. The gulf breeze is hot, humid, and disgusting. Since Houston only gets the gulf breeze I can only imagine that makes the summers all the more miserable.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,902,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
People should think twice before bragging about those afternoon thunderstorms that cool Florida down. As a life long Floridian I absolutely HATED those afternoon thunderstorms, and this past Summer was the absolute worst. I didn't make it to the beach even once with my friends because it down-poored literally every single day of Summer. After the rain is gone the thermometer may read about five degrees cooler, but it still feels hot as hell and the mugginess will make you miserable.

I'm wondering why Atlanta isn't being compared here as well. I just moved here a few weeks ago but spent a Summer up here three years ago and really enjoyed myself. A lot of my friends had pools in the midtown condos and the party was non-stop. People really lived their summer up. It rained maybe once or twice a week. Nothing to cramp your day. It was in the high 90s most days just like Florida.

Miami does get a nice ocean breeze but only when the wind is coming from the Atlantic side. The gulf breeze is hot, humid, and disgusting. Since Houston only gets the gulf breeze I can only imagine that makes the summers all the more miserable.
And from my explorations of the area, that would be a resounding no. The Gulf Breeze around bay-side Houston is strong and refreshing, not hot, humid, and disgusting as you describe it. You'll be surprised how powerful the sea-breeze is on the Texas Coast.

But, here is my assessment of the places:

From most to least bearable:
1.)Houston (Bay area), Galveston and Miami
2.)Atlanta(if it was included)
3.)Dallas area
4.)Inland portions of Houston and South Florida

Old 12-22-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
And from my explorations of the area, that would be a resounding no. The Gulf Breeze around bay-side Houston is strong and refreshing, not hot, humid, and disgusting as you describe it. You'll be surprised how powerful the sea-breeze is on the Texas Coast.

But, here is my assessment of the places:

From most to least bearable:
1.)Houston (Bay area), Galveston and Miami
2.)Atlanta(if it was included)
3.)Dallas area
4.)Inland portions of Houston and South Florida
I grew up in Naples, Fl and lived in Tampa for the past eight years. I know the gulf breezes quite well. I'm sure they aren't all that different over in Texas. They are awful. With the gulf temperatures reaching 90 degrees in August and September what makes you think a cool breeze could blow off of it?

Maybe they only appear pleasant to you because you don't have anything to compare them to. I know the east coast of Florida well. There is definitely a difference in the breezes that the oceans offer.

I'm curious though, does Houston get the daily thunderstorms in the summer like Florida does? Also, are there a lot of pools in Houston?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Naples, Fl and lived in Tampa for the past eight years. I know the gulf breezes quite well. I'm sure they aren't all that different over in Texas. They are awful. With the gulf temperatures reaching 90 degrees in August and September what makes you think a cool breeze could blow off of it?

Maybe they only appear pleasant to you because you don't have anything to compare them to. I know the east coast of Florida well. There is definitely a difference in the breezes that the oceans offer.

I'm curious though, does Houston get the daily thunderstorms in the summer like Florida does? Also, are there a lot of pools in Houston?
Well, before exploring Houston, I did explore San Francisco, and compared to the gulf breeze, the Pacific fog and wind is quite cool, even chilly during the summer. However, the Gulf breeze is still very refreshing, even if water temps are warm.

Houston gets thunderstorms in the summer, but it is not daily. In fact, Houston, at times, can suffer from droughts that can leave people praying for rain. And there are quite a few pools in Houston.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Well, before exploring Houston, I did explore San Francisco, and compared to the gulf breeze, the Pacific fog and wind is quite cool, even chilly during the summer. However, the Gulf breeze is still very refreshing, even if water temps are warm.

Houston gets thunderstorms in the summer, but it is not daily. In fact, Houston, at times, can suffer from droughts that can leave people praying for rain. And there are quite a few pools in Houston.
The weather issue right there make me think that Houston must have a better Summer than Miami in my opinion. It just seems like year after year for me in Florida when summer comes around I just go to work, come home and stay inside. I'd like to go to the water for Summer fun but the constant rain just ruins everything. As long as Houston has pools to go to to cool down from the heat Summer must not be so bad.

Didn't see any pools in Dallas.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
The weather issue right there make me think that Houston must have a better Summer than Miami in my opinion. It just seems like year after year for me in Florida when summer comes around I just go to work, come home and stay inside. I'd like to go to the water for Summer fun but the constant rain just ruins everything. As long as Houston has pools to go to to cool down from the heat Summer must not be so bad.

Didn't see any pools in Dallas.
Due to South Florida's tropical climate, there is a designated rainy season during the summer, which causes the development of daily thunderstorms. But a during the winter, its the sunny dry season that is warmer than many parts of the U.S, allowing people to go to the beach even in the middle of January. That causes people to envy Florida.

Houston is subtropical, so winter days, while mild, are cool with highs mostly in the mid 50s to 60s, and lows in the 40s, at times even 30s. As for winter weather in Dallas, well, I think you may have seen a taste of it on CNN.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:10 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,518,266 times
Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.