Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:15 PM

110 posts, read 145,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And from my explorations of the area, that would be a resounding no. The Gulf Breeze around bay-side Houston is strong and refreshing, not hot, humid, and disgusting as you describe it. You'll be surprised how powerful the sea-breeze is on the Texas Coast.

But, here is my assessment of the places:

From most to least bearable:
1.)Houston (Bay area), Galveston and Miami
2.)Atlanta(if it was included)
3.)Dallas area
4.)Inland portions of Houston and South Florida
Htownlove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:39 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable3 View Post
Htownlove
Who is that?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:58 PM

331 posts, read 592,191 times
Miami

Plus you have nice beaches nearby

Old 07-15-2015, 01:51 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,744,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
The weather issue right there make me think that Houston must have a better Summer than Miami in my opinion. It just seems like year after year for me in Florida when summer comes around I just go to work, come home and stay inside. I'd like to go to the water for Summer fun but the constant rain just ruins everything. As long as Houston has pools to go to to cool down from the heat Summer must not be so bad.

Didn't see any pools in Dallas.
I don't know why you hate warm tropical rain when you go in water ?
If It was cool/cold oceanic climate like rain, I would have understood but how warm tropical rain is annoying ?
And you are already wet when you are in a pool...

Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
A cool rain would be a welcome thing.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyk View Post
This is not true, many people from around the U.S come to the Texas coast during the Summer. I see many people from other areas in Galveston all the time when I visit. Even seen a few Hawaii plates before.
Are you suggesting people drove from Hawaii to go to the beach in Galveston?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Having lived in both Houston and Dallas, and visited Miami twice, I'd put them in this order:

1. Miami--hot and humid, but regulated somewhat by the ocean breeze.
2. Houston--hotter and more humid. The hot Gulf does not provide much if any relief. Thunderstorms that pop up very frequently in summer cool things down a few degrees, but exacerbate the humidity. It is common to see steam rising off the streets and sidewalks. I built a pool at my last house in Houston and the water temp was 94 degrees! I shaded the western side and pulled it down to about 91 in summertime, but it wasn't as refreshing as I hoped most days. The air in Houston is also the most polluted of these three. Houston gets frequent big storms--the kind that flood blocks, down trees and can damage property--every summer. At night, windows and glasses fog and it remains sticky hot--getting worse the farther south you go toward the Gulf. All this stirs up mosquitoes like crazy, too. It's not uncommon for a 96 degree day to have a heat index of 104. It's pretty gross.

When I first moved to SF, my wife stayed back in Houston for 8 months. During that time, there were three separate incidents of storms big enough to blow heavy patio furniture into the yard and overturn a large stainless steel grill.

3. Dallas--simply the worst warm-weather climate I could imagine. It's a bit less humid than Houston, but hotter, with a constant hot, dry wind. It's even stormier than Houston, with greater extremes in temperature variation. I remember feeling light-headed driving around with the top down when I first moved there. I had no idea that the air temperature was over 110 degrees! It felt similar to a Houston day, but affected me differently. Much more miserable. It often also remained in the upper 90s late at night--I remember reading 98 on a bank's thermometer at midnight one night! There were hail storms, tornadoes, raining mud from dust storms, and heavy pollution. Miserable.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
All three are hotter than Hades in the summer.

Miami and Houston are more humid than Dallas, but Dallas has that arid, dry, scorching heat that is not as common in Houston or Miami.

All three cities fall into the same category that New Orleans does for me - awesome cities with fun stuff to do in the area - but not a place I like to wander around in during the dog days of summer. Nyahhh, I'll skip all three AND New Orleans between July and September.

But then - there's always air conditioning, and like I said, all three cities have a lot to offer so it's not like I'd scream and cry if I had to visit any of them in the summer. I just prefer visiting them at other times of the year.

East Texas has nine months of fabulous weather out of twelve months - not a bad ratio.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Having lived in both Houston and Dallas, and visited Miami twice, I'd put them in this order:

1. Miami--hot and humid, but regulated somewhat by the ocean breeze.
2. Houston--hotter and more humid. The hot Gulf does not provide much if any relief. Thunderstorms that pop up very frequently in summer cool things down a few degrees, but exacerbate the humidity. It is common to see steam rising off the streets and sidewalks. I built a pool at my last house in Houston and the water temp was 94 degrees! I shaded the western side and pulled it down to about 91 in summertime, but it wasn't as refreshing as I hoped most days. The air in Houston is also the most polluted of these three. Houston gets frequent big storms--the kind that flood blocks, down trees and can damage property--every summer. At night, windows and glasses fog and it remains sticky hot--getting worse the farther south you go toward the Gulf. All this stirs up mosquitoes like crazy, too. It's not uncommon for a 96 degree day to have a heat index of 104. It's pretty gross.

When I first moved to SF, my wife stayed back in Houston for 8 months. During that time, there were three separate incidents of storms big enough to blow heavy patio furniture into the yard and overturn a large stainless steel grill.

3. Dallas--simply the worst warm-weather climate I could imagine. It's a bit less humid than Houston, but hotter, with a constant hot, dry wind. It's even stormier than Houston, with greater extremes in temperature variation. I remember feeling light-headed driving around with the top down when I first moved there. I had no idea that the air temperature was over 110 degrees! It felt similar to a Houston day, but affected me differently. Much more miserable. It often also remained in the upper 90s late at night--I remember reading 98 on a bank's thermometer at midnight one night! There were hail storms, tornadoes, raining mud from dust storms, and heavy pollution. Miserable.
I know many find them threatening but I personally love those apocalyptic storm cells that roll in from nowhere. So exciting.

I agree that Dallas summers are the absolute worst and are the very reason I've never seriously considered living there. Nothing is more depressing than brown grass in summer.

Houston and Miami summers are a cakewalk. I love the dense air, the feeling of being surrounded by water, and of course the flora you find in this type of environment like palms and magnolias. The worst weather month in Southeast Texas would be January, when the region turns into the Pacific Northwest and just doesn't seem to let up.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Why do people always complain about hot and humid weather, I don't love it but its not that hard to tolerate or get used to. Your body adjusts to it after a while just like your body would in a cold weather climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.