Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:45 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I'm a recent college graduate living at home to save money. I highly doubt an employer will ever relocate me in my current industry (marketing and advertising). However, I'm going to law school in the near future, and will use that as an opportunity relocate to a place I'd actually like to live.
Where does the cold weather come in here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Where does the cold weather come in here?
I live in a place with cold weather; my post was an explanation of why I live in a place with cold weather

Old 01-18-2016, 08:56 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I live in a place with cold weather; my post was an explanation of why I live in a place with cold weather
Ah, gotcha. St. Louis winter isn't too bad, I'd take that!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,155 times
Quote:
Ah, gotcha. St. Louis winter isn't too bad, I'd take that!
I am a coward when it comes to the cold

Old 01-18-2016, 09:33 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Is there actually somewhere that has just a "cold climate"? Did the OP mean to say, "places in the U.S. that have cold winters"? I mean, I live in Michigan and it gets incredibly hot here in the summertime, as in, 95+ degrees with humidity that makes your eyeballs sweat. Of course, we don't get it for months on end like some places which is one of the reasons why I like it here. But yes, we do have lovely, temperate weather throughout much of the year here so I'm not sure if the OP actually thought that there were places in the U.S. that are truly cold all the time or if he/she just misspoke. It would be hard to know, since this is an old thread.

We stay here for a host of reasons: higher wages, four seasons, family, interesting things to do, gorgeous scenery, and being surrounded by down to earth Midwesterners who we share a love of home with. When I visit places like Florida and Arizona I always think they might be nice to visit for a week or so during the winter, but other than that, no thanks. To each their own.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Is there actually somewhere that has just a "cold climate"? Did the OP mean to say, "places in the U.S. that have cold winters"? I mean, I live in Michigan and it gets incredibly hot here in the summertime, as in, 95+ degrees with humidity that makes your eyeballs sweat. Of course, we don't get it for months on end like some places which is one of the reasons why I like it here. But yes, we do have lovely, temperate weather throughout much of the year here so I'm not sure if the OP actually thought that there were places in the U.S. that are truly cold all the time or if he/she just misspoke. It would be hard to know, since this is an old thread.

We stay here for a host of reasons: higher wages, four seasons, family, interesting things to do, gorgeous scenery, and being surrounded by down to earth Midwesterners who we share a love of home with. When I visit places like Florida and Arizona I always think they might be nice to visit for a week or so during the winter, but other than that, no thanks. To each their own.
OP meant cold winters. That's what people complain about...and is why the warm areas of the country are experiencing so much population gain.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:46 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
OP meant cold winters. That's what people complain about...and is why the warm areas of the country are experiencing so much population gain.
I know, but seriously, I know plenty of people who cannot tolerate extreme heat either. We lived in Phoenix in the summer a few years ago. It was hell on earth. I would just about have to live in Siberia to make me prefer the heat of Phoenix in July over a cold winter. It was brutal!

Old 01-18-2016, 11:18 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I know, but seriously, I know plenty of people who cannot tolerate extreme heat either. We lived in Phoenix in the summer a few years ago. It was hell on earth. I would just about have to live in Siberia to make me prefer the heat of Phoenix in July over a cold winter. It was brutal!
I hear ya. I grew up in Florida, and I cannot take extreme heat. But it seems that a lot of the people who complain about "cold weather" mean anything in the 60's or below. For example, it has been in the 50's steadily for the past 2 weeks in FL and judging by the people I stay in touch with there and also posters on these forums...that is insanely cold to most people in Florida! That's kind of ridiculous if people think that is cold. There are people on the FL forums asking "how everyone is dealing with this cold?".

So most people want a warm climate these days. On the other hand, I love extreme cold...give me snow blizzards and 15 degrees or under every day and I'll love it.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:36 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Why do I stay in a cold climate city? Four words:

Winter
Spring
Summer
Fall

Old 01-19-2016, 07:12 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
The OP sounds like some old fuddy duddy with his whole "dog on the porch" description
Like as if Texas is this amazing gem that people have not discovered yet.... puh-lease.

Texas's gulf area smells like farts. and looks like it too. I've been there.
Where I live there's no state income tax either. Also, there's no cold and yet...i could easily live up north... The people are usually more educated and open. The politics more progressive... the 4 distinct season...the history and bit of old world charm, etc... No city in a warm climate of the US has what NYC or Boston has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.