Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,887,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
We had a week straight of snow days last year here in Louisville! Wasn't much snow, really, but Kentucky has no idea what they're doing in the snow. You'd think this was Alabama with how horribly unprepared they are to clear snow! I guess they forget that it snows here every.single.year...

Also I've never been to Austin, but a friend of mine from West Virginia moved there during the summer and he can't believe the size of the bugs and the quantities down there. The only conclusion we came to is that they never have a chance to die off there because it's always warm enough. I'm talking spiders that looked to be at least half a foot long crawling through his backyard. Yeah. No thanks. I actually have real arachnophobia. If there was a real true city on earth that didn't have spiders but never ever got a summer, I would trade off summer for never seeing a spider for the rest of my life. I know Miami and Tampa are known for having giant bugs too. And Arizona has large scorpions. I'll take the mosquitoes in summer over checking my shoes for scorpions or killing spiders all over the house the size of babies.
I hear you, I went to NC for the first time this summer and even the OBX had huge bugs and spiders. Disgusting.

Heat/humidity = bugs. Yeah we have bugs here but I think the further south you go, the bigger and more prominent they get. I could not believe the size of the spiders, and how many there were, in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 02:20 PM

31,891 posts, read 34,400,786 times
The heat seems like an easy enough thing to deal with unless you're a construction worker or have any other type of employment that requires you to be outside in direct sunlight for long periods of time.

A 90 degree day will often give way to a 78 degree evening. A 30 degree day, on the other hand, will often give way to a 20 degree evening, which is not comfortable to the overwhelming majority of people.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:05 PM

699 posts, read 606,067 times
Despite Miami Beach being probably one of the worst areas in the USA for heat + humidity combo, we really don't have bugs. If you go off the barrier island, and continue to go west into the Everglades the bugs become a bigger and bigger problem.

In certain areas of Alaska, Minnesota, and the Canadian wilderness, mosquitoes are so bad in the summer you will need a mosquito net or be eaten alive.

In short, I doubt heat + humidity has much to do with bugs. Ofc bugs need it to be a certain temperature to reproduce, they also need standing freshwater. Point is, just about anywhere in N. America is warm enough for bugs in the summer - it seems a lot of little lakes help them thrive.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,840,255 times
I enjoy having four distinct seasons, I prefer cold weather ( warm summers are fine, though), and I don't care for southern politics...

Old 01-20-2016, 04:31 PM

7,287 posts, read 6,862,252 times
I have pretty much beat the big problem by feeding the small birds regularly .
The bug problem use to be bad here, but I encouraged the small birds a by feeding them, and through the years the bug populations diminished wonderfully.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:04 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,308,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have pretty much beat the big problem by feeding the small birds regularly .
The bug problem use to be bad here, but I encouraged the small birds a by feeding them, and through the years the bug populations diminished wonderfully.
my dad was telling me the same thing the other day, he lives in the south and he said there were birds in his yard in the winter out hunting, they eat berries in his yard too. its not only people who go south, you got ducks, arctic geese,swallows,hummingbirds ,phoebes all flying south , its pretty amazing to watch. I would love to see all the ones flying over the gulf to mexico and south america too.

I wish the snow and cold got rid of the worst bugs and insects and arachnids but they dont, the only time I have ever really got bit and had a bad reaction were by tick bites around the chesapeake bay in winter and in new hampshire at a ski resort, we were out hiking and I found a tick bite later. The doctor said that ticks and lyme disease actually flourish the most in the the mid atlantic and northeast and upper midwest.

As long as it is not seeing some copperhead or water moccasin I am alright with most bugs and reptiles etc, my ex girlfriend is from australia and they have stuff out there you wouldnt believe.

Last edited by floridanative10; 01-20-2016 at 07:25 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 09:18 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,739,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not for me isn't! Lol

We are beating a dead horse now. Since you are not living with my body, it seems quite presumptive to say that dehydration is the only explanation as to why I, and some others, depise hot weather.
That's not what I meant. You said drinking plenty of water wouldn't change how you feel, and I'm saying that you will notice a physical change if you are adequately hydrated.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:20 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,970,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
One huge negative about California summers is that you'll almost never get a night warm enough to be out at 2am in a t shirt and shorts and be comfortable. A light jacket is almost always required at night in LA during summer.
I don’t know where you are getting your information from. A normal summer nighttime low in LA is 64°. If you can’t go out at night in a t-shirt and shorts when it’s 64°, you are a lot more sensitive to cool temperatures then I am, and I’m pretty sensitive to them.

When I lived in the SF Bay Area I worked a lot of late night shifts, and usually went home at 2AM in a t-shirt in the summer. Sometimes it was a bit cool, but usually it felt pretty good.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,970,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I just have to say, I would rather be cold than hot because when I'm cold, I can put more clothes on. When I'm hot, there's only so much I can take off.
Likewise there is only so much clothes you can put on, and no matter how much you have on, if it’s cold enough, and you can’t get to shelter eventually, you are going to die.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:02 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,191,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Likewise there is only so much clothes you can put on, and no matter how much you have on, if it’s cold enough, and you can’t get to shelter eventually, you are going to die.
Yep. I have to walk around one or two frozen corpses on my street every time the temps head south of 30 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.