Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times

Advertisements

The OP might want the desert (or at least the Southwest) because part of the criteria was "be in a region that gets dry heat NOT humid."

That ain't Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:32 AM

30 posts, read 29,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
The OP might want the desert (or at least the Southwest) because part of the criteria was "be in a region that gets dry heat NOT humid."

That ain't Georgia.

I would at least recomment the OP visit the desert places before he would want to live there for a year. I think eric is right. Maybe a nice small vacation visit to those places, but they are barren, lifeless lands. kansas is flat and boring.

Georgia on the other hand is very beautiful.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 AM

21 posts, read 17,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM90 View Post
I would at least recomment the OP visit the desert places before he would want to live there for a year. I think eric is right. Maybe a nice small vacation visit to those places, but they are barren, lifeless lands. kansas is flat and boring.

I'd love to go on a short holiday there, but I can't afford to. Maybe I should play it safe and stick to locations that are similar to the UK?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 AM

30 posts, read 29,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldster View Post
I'd love to go on a short holiday there, but I can't afford to. Maybe I should play it safe and stick to locations that are similar to the UK?

I personally think New England is very beautiful. I prefer that type of weather over heat. The south as stated earlier does have a unique culture. If you're interested in that. It can get very hot though. Especially during the summer months.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I personally think New England is very beautiful. I prefer that type of weather over heat. The south as stated earlier does have a unique culture. If you're interested in that. It can get very hot though. Especially during the summer months.
I am not too fond of the heat, but I can stand dry heat opposed to humid heat. I hate sweaty heat.

I am liking the look of:

UNC-CH (NC)
Richmond (VA)
Roanoke (VA)
Goucher (MD)
URI (RI)

What are those states like?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Where KU is at is not "flat and boring". It is within the Flint Hills range and surround by beautiful looking country side. Though it is within an hour of Kansas City, I don't believe public transportation to leave Lawrence is all that good. Kansas is a hard state to recommend to someone from the UK because, like some of the West, its distance, emptiness, and open space is very different than much of the UK which is much better connected, especially transit wise.

But OP it is your choice. The culture of the South is very interesting, and the transportation would probably be better South as it is more densely populated. Savannah and Charleston are great looking towns as well. Southern Louisiana is very beautiful as well.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldster View Post
I am not too fond of the heat, but I can stand dry heat opposed to humid heat. I hate sweaty heat.

I am liking the look of:

UNC-CH (NC)
Richmond (VA)
Roanoke (VA)
Goucher (MD)
URI (RI)

What are those states like?
Heat-wise, RI will be the least humid, but the coldest in the winter. The further South you move down, the more extreme the humidity will become till you reach the Deep South which can be like a sauna in the summers. I was in New Orleans this summer, and the only place I've felt humidity like that was in Northern Thailand. But with air-conditioning and much more milder winters, it may not be as bad as you think.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 34,964 times
Quote:
Where KU is at is not "flat and boring". It is within the Flint Hills range and surround by beautiful looking country side. Though it is within an hour of Kansas City, I don't believe public transportation to leave Lawrence is all that good. Kansas is a hard state to recommend to someone from the UK because, like some of the West, its distance, emptiness, and open space is very different than much of the UK which is much better connected, especially transit wise.

But OP it is your choice. The culture of the South is very interesting, and the transportation would probably be better South as it is more densely populated. Savannah and Charleston are great looking towns as well. Southern Louisiana is very beautiful as well.
I don't think it's gets any more boring then Kansas personally. I have a pretty low opinion of that state. I was just recommending cultured places with beautiful cities, great landscape and amazing food. And I think the south fits that bill. I love southern food.

I avoided mentioning the North East as the OP seemed to want to go elsewhere then going into that region. Vermont is my personal favorite state in the Union. I love it's rural character and it's incredibly beautiful.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Heat-wise, RI will be the least humid, but the coldest in the winter. The further South you move down, the more extreme the humidity will become till you reach the Deep South which can be like a sauna in the summers. I was in New Orleans this summer, and the only place I've felt humidity like that was in Northern Thailand. But with air-conditioning and much more milder winters, it may not be as bad as you think.
Ok, the weather isn't too much of an important criterion.

I am going to put UNC top of my list, followed by Richmond. George Mason University is also a contender. Out of Roanoke and Goucher, what would you put first? I would prefer a traditional college experience, something that Roanoke would win on.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBJohnson_ View Post
I don't think it's gets any more boring then Kansas personally. I have a pretty low opinion of that state. I was just recommending cultured places with beautiful cities, great landscape and amazing food. And I think the south fits that bill. I love southern food.

I avoided mentioning the North East as the post wanted seemed to want to go elsewhere then going into that region. Vermont is my personal favorite state in the Union. I love it's rural character and it's incredibly beautiful.
Kansas may be boring to Americans, however, to me Kansas could be interesting? It's like I find Canterbury a boring place but lots of Americans love it. It's just that we become familiar with these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.