Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oceanfront Cities - where would you live?
New York, NY 7 7.07%
Los Angeles, CA 8 8.08%
Houston, TX 1 1.01%
Miami, FL 8 8.08%
Boston, MA 3 3.03%
San Francisco, CA 7 7.07%
Seattle, WA 12 12.12%
San Diego, CA 9 9.09%
Tampa, FL 6 6.06%
Baltimore, MD 1 1.01%
San Jose, CA 1 1.01%
Virginia Beach, VA 4 4.04%
Providence, RI 2 2.02%
Jacksonville, FL 1 1.01%
New Orleans, LA 0 0%
Honolulu, HI 9 9.09%
Bridgeport, CT 0 0%
New Haven, CT 1 1.01%
Oxnard, CA 2 2.02%
McAllen, TX 0 0%
Charleston, SC 9 9.09%
Cape Coral, FL 0 0%
Deltona, FL 0 0%
North Port, FL 0 0%
Palm Bay, FL 0 0%
Another city (state below) 8 8.08%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 PM

150 posts, read 382,102 times

Advertisements

Lets say you wanted to live by the ocean. To enjoy long walks on the beach, quick swim dips in the ocean, or even take a boat out on the water ... what city would you live in to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:39 PM

651 posts, read 862,660 times
Any city on the ocean between santa maria and san simeon on central coast california. Bar none the best weather. Problem is high cost of living and high taxes. so make your investments in gold and silver bullion, have them go up, and sell them for cash.

problem solved.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:40 PM

237 posts, read 191,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
Lets say you wanted to live by the ocean. To enjoy long walks on the beach, quick swim dips in the ocean, or even take a boat out on the water ... what city would you live in to do this?
Monterey, California
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Santa Barbara, California
Port Charlotte, Florida
Cape coral, Florida
Anywhere in Hawaii

Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
Any city on the ocean between santa maria and san simeon on central coast california. Bar none the best weather. Problem is high cost of living and high taxes. so make your investments in gold and silver bullion, have them go up, and sell them for cash.

problem solved.
Which "city", the town of Arroyo Grande (pop. 17,000), or the village of Morro Bay (pop. 10,000)? While I concur it is amongst the most beautiful coastal areas in the world (Morro Bay is charming!), it also is surprisingly desolate (wonderful for over populated CA) and a more than a little chilly for water activities. I would not consider any area there urban enough to constitute a city.

I'm thinking my home port of San Diego fits the bill pretty well, it is right on the coast, over 70 miles of beaches in the city limits, great sunsets. I can be in the water in about 10 minutes from my house right next to downtown, there is great sailing, deep sea fishing, swimming and surfing if you can handle the refreshing to chilly water, (I love 68-72 surf), amazing weather and a vibrant and remarkably safe, big city for urban fun.

Florida has great water activities and nice warm water but I just can't do Florida other than a quick visit.

I'm staying!

Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 PM

237 posts, read 191,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Which "city", the town of Arroyo Grande (pop. 17,000), or the village of Morro Bay (pop. 10,000)? While I concur it is amongst the most beautiful coastal areas in the world (Morro Bay is charming!), it also is surprisingly desolate (wonderful for over populated CA) and a more than a little chilly for water activities. I would not consider any area there urban enough to constitute a city.

I'm thinking my home port of San Diego fits the bill pretty well, it is right on the coast, over 70 miles of beaches in the city limits, great sunsets. I can be in the water in about 10 minutes from my house right next to downtown, there is great sailing, deep sea fishing, swimming and surfing if you can handle the refreshing to chilly water, (I love 68-72 surf), amazing weather and a vibrant and remarkably safe, big city for urban fun.

Florida has great water activities and nice warm water but I just can't do Florida other than a quick visit.

I'm staying!
I think any city on highway 1. I really like Florida just stay away from North Florida.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
NOLA shouldn't be on this list if this is what you're wanting to do.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:32 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Hawaii, though I'd much rather live on Maui than Honolulu/Oahu.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:47 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
LA (technically) does not really have much of an Ocean Front.

That being said I love living where I do, in Huntington Beach. I try to get an ocean front Bike ride in everyday. That water itself is a bit chilly most of the year, but everyone has swimming pools. Plus the harbors and inletso keep the water warm.

I live less than a mile form the Ocean, 1/4 mile to the Harbor. I can sail, row or kayak whenever I want.

Now If I could live anywhere in the USA: somewhere in Kauai

Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Here in the U.S. I would love to own oceanfront property in Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Redondo Beach, San Diego (Most particularly La Jolla), Wildwood or Ocean City in New Jersey, Virginia Beach, Seattle, Cape Coral in Florida (Even though I only prefer to visit Florida rather than live in it), or Charleston, SC (Outside of Charleston and family ties, I don't really care much for South Carolina). And even though I wouldn't consider the NYC to be an oceanfront city despite the Atlantic being really close nearby, I'd love to live in either Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, or across the Hudson into Jersey City with a waterfront view.

Overseas, I would love to own oceanfront property in either Brighton or Hove in the UK, Barcelona, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, or Sydney.

Last edited by tcave360; 12-24-2013 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: NYC related stuff

Old 12-24-2013, 05:36 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,156 times
I live a block and a half from the ocean now. If I moved it would be either Charleston SC or Palm Beach FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.