Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:28 AM

83 posts, read 125,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Do you even read the posts on here from Southerners in so many different threads I lost count. There are plenty of reluctant Confederate Americans in the South, and you know it. Just go find the thread about "should Texas secede" and look thru the comments.

Go down to Jackson, MS and mention you are from Philadelphia like I did, and then listen to all the lectures about how the South was actually on the right side of history. I was in a car once with an Army Colonel as we were driving to the Middle East District Office in Winchester VA. We drove right past Gettysburg and he looked over and said "too bad the wrong side one".

Bill Clinton and other Southerners, during the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, recounted how back in 1963 there were cheers and applause when school students were told Kennedy had been killed. That is despicable.

Southerners for the most part to this day despise the Fed Govt. It is a fact.

There is no love lost between me and the South. They were traitors and should have been severely punished including hanging the biggest most despicable traitor of all Robert E Lee.

The Union Army or US Army (of today) should tear down any monument to those traitors. Those monuments today are an embarrassment. You don't see monuments to Nazis in Germany.
lol, so southerners not liking Obama and big government = living in the past about Civil war? Or is just a political opinion? I think your left wing politics informs your perception things in a distorted way.

Bill Clinton's mentor in Arkansas was William Fullbright, a segregationist who Clinton gave the Medal of Freedom to when he was president.

I remember black kids at my high school cheering the news OJ Simpson was found not guilty. They were saying stuff white people finally got theirs ,etc. We can tell anecdotes like this all day on here.

I don't see a problem with discussing the idea that the South should have had the right to secede just like the US colonies did from England. If states don't feel like they are represented in DC then is something that will pop up from time to time. But I don't think many Southerners wish we weren't part of the US and I would argue the most patriotic Americans generally live in the south. You def. see more American flags down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:30 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,941 times
Wow that was deep. What you stated reminds me of how the CONfederate flag does represent anti-Black racism and their wish to keep Blacks as slaves.......

Quote:
Do you even read the posts on here from Southerners in so many different threads I lost count. There are plenty of reluctant Confederate Americans in the South, and you know it. Just go find the thread about "should Texas secede" and look thru the comments.

Go down to Jackson, MS and mention you are from Philadelphia like I did, and then listen to all the lectures about how the South was actually on the right side of history. I was in a car once with an Army Colonel as we were driving to the Middle East District Office in Winchester VA. We drove right past Gettysburg and he looked over and said "too bad the wrong side one".

Bill Clinton and other Southerners, during the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, recounted how back in 1963 there were cheers and applause when school students were told Kennedy had been killed. That is despicable.

There is no love lost between me and the South. They were traitors and should have been severely punished including hanging the biggest most despicable traitor of all Robert E Lee.

The Union Army or US Army (of today) should tear down any monument to those traitors. Those monuments today are an embarrassment. You don't see monuments to Nazis in Germany.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Democrats sure seemed "anti-government" when Bush and Reagan were president. If anti-government is defined as being opposed to the current president's policies.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:36 AM

BTW, I don't see myself as a "southerner". I'm an American who lives in the south.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:53 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
lol, so southerners not liking Obama and big government = living in the past about Civil war? Or is just a political opinion? I think your left wing politics informs your perception things in a distorted way.

Bill Clinton's mentor in Arkansas was William Fullbright, a segregationist who Clinton gave the Medal of Freedom to when he was president.

I remember black kids at my high school cheering the news OJ Simpson was found not guilty. They were saying stuff white people finally got theirs ,etc. We can tell anecdotes like this all day on here.

I don't see a problem with discussing the idea that the South should have had the right to secede just like the US colonies did from England. If states don't feel like they are represented in DC then is something that will pop up from time to time. But I don't think many Southerners wish we weren't part of the US and I would argue the most patriotic Americans generally live in the south. You def. see more American flags down here.
Please enlighten us and point to the exact quote in the Constitution whereby a state may secede when it doesn't agree with the results of a presidential election. Comparing that to the US Revolution is pathetic and grasping at straws.

There is no right to unilateral secession. What is the manner, outlined in the Constitution, by which a state secedes? 4/5 majority of their state legislature? Simple majority of their legislature? Simple 51% vote to 49% public referendum. Funny isn't it that the US Constitution details how a state enters, and yet not a word on how it leaves. The truth is the South up and left cause they felt Lincoln threatened the expansion of slavery into new territories. The South left for slavery. Not one person in the South should be proud of that. Southerners should accept the truth, and then maybe all of us can move on. But that isn't my experience down there. Quite the opposite.

A state leaves in only one way, and that is revolution. There is no legal means to secede from the US written into our Constitution. If the US had lost the Revolutionary War, George Washington would have been hung for treason. Well, the vile Confederacy lost, and every single leader should have been publicly hung in Washington DC.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Please enlighten us and point to the exact quote in the Constitution whereby a state may secede when it doesn't agree with the results of a presidential election. Comparing that to the US Revolution is pathetic and grasping at straws.

There is no right to unilateral secession. What is the manner, outlined in the Constitution, by which a state secedes? 4/5 majority of their state legislature? Simple majority of their legislature? Simple 51% vote to 49% referendum. Funny isn't it that the US Constitution details how a state enters, and yet not a word on how it leaves. The truth is the South up and left cause they felt Lincoln threatened the expansion of slavery into new territories. The South left for slavery. Not one person in the South should be proud of that. Southerners should accept the truth, and then maybe all of us can move on. But that isn't my experience down there. Quite the opposite.

A state leaves in only one way, and that is revolution. There is no legal means to secede from the US written into our Constitution. If the US had lost the Revolutionary War, George Washington would have been hung for treason. Well, the vile Confederacy lost, and every single leader should have been publicly hung in Washington DC.
lol it is funny you get so emotional about this.

It was the exact same reason, the southern states didn't feel like the federal government was representing them and actually the northern states were favored at the expense of the southern states. Just like the founding fathers didn't think England represented them.

I never said the South didn't leave primarily b/c of the slavery issue. There were people who opposed slavery but still thought the south had the right to secede. I think intellectuals understand this argument.

I'm not proud or ashamed of the Civil War or the South's role in it. It is just history.

I think talking about it not being legal kind of misses the point. Obviously it wasn't "legal", but countries split up all the time throughout history.

Some days I'ld like to split with the blue states just b/c I don't feel like people who don't support Obamacare , etc should have their insurance plans and costs affected by somebody who is a fool and we don't support.

By your own logic it was illegal for the Founding fathers to do what they did. They were to kneel before the King. right? lol

You should also keep in mind the southern states would have never joined the Union if slavery was not allowed. So to them it was a condition of being part of the USA. If the north breaks that contract then I do think the South had a legit claim to back out of the partnership.

Last edited by RunDMC; 12-28-2013 at 12:38 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
It seems to me on CD forum is that the South by far has the strongest regional identity in the US. I don't see that many threads about "How Midwestern is Kansas" or "How Western is Idaho" like all of the Southern threads on this forum.

Growing up in Southern California, there isn't much regional identity with the West Coast at all around here because this state is immigrant and transplant heavy , and there are very few 3rd generation and beyond Californians that have roots here.

I'd like to hear what you think about this
I would say that no regional identities in the rest of the country are not quite as strong in the rest of the country as the south is. But one can argue that is a lingering legacy of the "War between the states 160 years ago. The South got bypassed and was a relative backwater with somewhat imbittered attitudes for about 100 until the 60s.

However, yes there are still regional identities. The west has a regional identity wrapped up in being a "frontier" with few people, very libertarian, etc. And the midwest has a regional identity based upon playing second fiddle or feeling like a province of the northeast.

However, I MAJORLY disagree with your assessment of Southern California not have a West Coast identity. Having lived here for two years I would say that people refer to urban California as the west coast. Anything that is large enough to be considered a city on the west coast, is immigrant and transplant heavy. Certainly the Bay Area just as much as SoCal, even though the Bay Area is not as populous. There is a major rivalry between Californias two population clusters, but they are both west coast.

The Pacific NW is a little different animal, but even there theres quite a few transplants and immigrants in Portland and Seattle, although they stayed a "backwater" city for longer.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. What you know about the South would fit on the head of a pin. You must have been watching a Dukes of Hazzard marathon on Nick at Nite or something.
Hardly. It's not like the majority fits what I have described, which I understand, but those people do exist like it or not, and when you come across them it's in your face. And like it or not, the Confederate flag isn't supposed to be a positive symbol in modern time like people think it is. The fact that anybody flies it and their motives are honestly questionable, but I assume most people just don't know their history very well and think it's a Southern pride thing.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Hardly. It's not like the majority fits what I have described, which I understand, but those people do exist like it or not, and when you come across them it's in your face. And like it or not, the Confederate flag isn't supposed to be a positive symbol in modern time like people think it is. The fact that anybody flies it and their motives are honestly questionable, but I assume most people just don't know their history very well and think it's a Southern pride thing.
I'm pretty sure that the amount of time you've spent in the South could be measured in hours based on that.

What's more, given the number of mondo bizarro stereotypes that come out of New Jersey, I would think you would know better. Based on your post, people in New Jersey all either are in the mob or know someone who knows someone. You all wear strange outfits with really bad hairdos and talk as if you're all about to order a hit on Jimmie the Weasel.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:

That's kind of my point, yes. No one today who calls themselves Americans should be proud of the Confederacy or the war history. I understand honoring dead soldiers because either way they died fighting for a cause they believed in but there should be no Confederacy monuments or memorials. The Southern states left the country, starting a war, and only came back in when the North (the US) beat them, and they came back angry. Had they won (somehow) the US would be two separate countries right now because the Southern states did not want to return to the Union willingly under the North's terms (which were the United States' terms). I can't comprehend how any American today would be proud of any of this, looking at the Confederates' side of course, especially because the whole issue at the time was slavery, which (debate about excessive cries of racism at hand or not) was a racially motivated and despicable time in history. The Confederate flag actually stands for more than Southern pride. It stands for what I just said and yes, they were traitors technically.

I understand that either way, the meaning of the flag has been lost somehow and that in a way the Confederate flag does represent the modern South as well and people will proudly fly or display it in some areas, but this shouldn't happen. It still gives the South a more unique identity, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.