Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

ALBANY — New York, whose status as the most populous state has long been ceded, will soon fall behind Florida into fourth place, a long-anticipated drop that is rife with symbolism and that could carry potentially serious economic consequences in coming years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/ny...&emc=rss&_r=1&
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Yup, and North Carolina will pass Michigan.

I think after that though the top ten won't change for a few decades. Not at current growth rates at least.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
If Florida didn't slow down as much in the latter half of this past decade, they would be number three already.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If Florida didn't slow down as much in the latter half of this past decade, they would be number three already.
Sure would have. And I think the census estimates are too optimistic in their estimations. Upstate New York is still bleeding people immensely and where are they going? Florida! I bet Florida is number three already.

I don't blame them for moving. With the exception of New York City the state of New York kind of just sucks to live in.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,649 times
I think in 20-30 years, Georgia and possibly Arizona will pass New York as well. Those states are growing rapidly as well.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Sure would have. And I think the census estimates are too optimistic in their estimations. Upstate New York is still bleeding people immensely and where are they going? Florida! I bet Florida is number three already.

I don't blame them for moving. With the exception of New York City the state of New York kind of just sucks to live in.
Upstate NY losses were overestimated before the last census and some parts of Upstate NY actually saw growth, with most others staying flat, give or take. Cost of living overall is actually on par with Southern states like VA and NC in Upstate NY. FL actually lost people for a little while and when comparing some metrics, NY comes out ahead in comparison.

There is a pretty big gap between 4 and 5. I'm not sure if GA and AZ will pass NY in 20-30 years, but they still have a ways to go. NY is just growing slower than other states.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:37 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Upstate NY losses were overestimated before the last census and some parts of Upstate NY actually saw growth, with most others staying flat, give or take. Cost of living overall is actually on par with Southern states like VA and NC in Upstate NY. FL actually lost people for a little while and when comparing some metrics, NY comes out ahead in comparison.

There is a pretty big gap between 4 and 5. I'm not sure if GA and AZ will pass NY in 20-30 years, but they still have a ways to go. NY is just growing slower than other states.
Yeah, it would be a huge achievement just for GA to pass PA or IL; no way AZ will do it anytime soon.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yeah, it would be a huge achievement just for GA to pass PA or IL; no way AZ will do it anytime soon.
Exactly and people are forgetting about the retirement aspect with FL. People also forget that unlike FL, the NYC metro spills over into NJ and CT. So, moving to the suburbs could mean leaving NY State too.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:59 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I think in 20-30 years, Georgia and possibly Arizona will pass New York as well. Those states are growing rapidly as well.
Arizona has 1/3 of the population of New York. Considering its location, water will be a huge issue somewhere down the road. Perhaps that can be remedied in time, but I don't see Arizona overtaking NYS for at least a century, if ever.

Georgia could overtake NYS, but it will be much more than 20-30 years as well. No state can keep up breakneck growth forever.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 AM

27,211 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ALBANY — New York, whose status as the most populous state has long been ceded, will soon fall behind Florida into fourth place, a long-anticipated drop that is rife with symbolism and that could carry potentially serious economic consequences in coming years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/ny...&emc=rss&_r=1&
Yes, in that it's transplanting those that cannot hack the cost of living in NY to a state with a perceived "better lifestyle". Meanwhile Florida's growth in low wage jobs and lack of higher paying jobs cannot sustain the population influx, meaning yet another transition for many upon that realization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.