Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:16 PM
6er 6er started this thread

1 posts, read 1,113 times

Advertisements

I am from Argentina and hope to study in the U.S. for my undergraduate degree. I am unfamiliar with the general ideas about each region and was hoping to get a quick answer of what region would match my personality/personna so I can look at colleges in that region?

- I am relatively right-wing politically. My father is a politician in the conservative party of Argentina. I wouldn't say I am very right wing: I am more moderate than uberconservative. I am against legalisation of marijuana but progressive for gay rights and pro-choice. Not religious despite being brought up catholic.

- I am not a "poser". I am not sure if that is the right translation but I am not obsessed with my looks and like to dress casually. I know this sounds stupid but it gives you a little indication about my personality. I know that Californians are apparently obsessed with the gym and clothes, etc. I don't fit with this idea.

- I like music and culture.

I like the idea of studying in the deep Southern area because the culture is very interesting to me, however, I don't know if I fit in there.

NYC is obviously a good choice but I am unsure whether I am east coast or west coast type of person.

How would you define east coaster from west coaster?

Gracias!!

Jose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,357 times
Do you really want to study in a US city that is similar to your hometown in Argentina, except they speak (mostly) English instead of Spanish?
If you go to the trouble of living in a foreign country for a long time, why not learn something different there?
Are you from a small town? Go to a big city.
Are you from the coast? Go to a mountain city.
You are politically conservative? Go to a progressive city.
Spanish is your first language? Go to a city with small Hispanic population, so you will be forced to immerse in the US English culture.
Each US region is quite different. The East is congested and busy. The Midwest is flat and agricultural. The South is hot and slow-paced. The West is beautiful and technology-oriented. Ideally, you should spend some time in each region - each is interested in it's own way.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6er View Post
I am from Argentina... I am relatively right-wing politically...I am against legalisation of marijuana but progressive for gay rights and pro-choice. Not religious despite being brought up catholic.

I like the idea of studying in the deep Southern area
Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama match the right-wing politics and are anti-marijuana, but those states are also anti-gay rights and anti-abortion. Those things go hand in hand. You can forget the West Coast, New England, the 21 states with medical marijuana 21 Legal Medical Marijuana States and DC - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org the East Coast down to North Carolina, and all the blue states.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 PM

746 posts, read 866,167 times
Quote:
I am from Argentina and hope to study in the U.S. for my undergraduate degree. I am unfamiliar with the general ideas about each region and was hoping to get a quick answer of what region would match my personality/personna so I can look at colleges in that region?

- I am relatively right-wing politically. My father is a politician in the conservative party of Argentina. I wouldn't say I am very right wing: I am more moderate than uberconservative. I am against legalisation of marijuana but progressive for gay rights and pro-choice. Not religious despite being brought up catholic.

- I am not a "poser". I am not sure if that is the right translation but I am not obsessed with my looks and like to dress casually. I know this sounds stupid but it gives you a little indication about my personality. I know that Californians are apparently obsessed with the gym and clothes, etc. I don't fit with this idea.

I like the idea of studying in the deep Southern area because the culture is very interesting to me, however, I don't know if I fit in there.

NYC is obviously a good choice but I am unsure whether I am east coast or west coast type of person.

Gracias!!

Jose
I don't know cause I've lived in the same place my whole life (I'm 18) and barely even got to visit anywhere else. But I can tell you college is extremely expensive over here. I even read the US has the most expensive tuition in the world! It's put a lot of stress on me. I don't know if someone's paying for you, but if so then pick a college and come on over

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:

Gracias!!

Jose
When I think of a great college atmosphere in the US, I think of a Southern school usually. A state school with good sports teams located in a college town would be ideal. Of course you can find these anywhere in the US, Penn State comes to mind (a school in State College, Pennsylvania, central part of the state) to name just one, but I think the southern state schools are the way to go for someone like you. I would stay away from a big city school, so I wouldn't go to Boston, Philly, New York, etc. The South is more socially conservative and definitely not obsessed with looks, at least in most areas.

If you're looking for a really great school, though, like Ivy level, then obviously look in the Northeast.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:24 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
I'm not sure how it is in Argentina but in most parts of the US you should have no problems regardless of your political leaning. Even if you are a moderate so to speak, you should be fine in San Francisco or Seattle. Of course, finding others like you would be harder in those cities.

Most conservative Westerners are socially liberal and fiscally conservative, at least compared to the conservatives in the Southeast (mainly because we are less religious in general, I think). Of course, there is everyone on the spectrum is out here, no different than the East, but I think you will find the most socially liberal and fiscally conservative people in the inland West, like Idaho, Arizona, Utah, Nevada... Alaska would work here too.

If the deep South interests you I think you should study there. You should honestly pick what fits you academically and sounds like a good place to go, based on the college itself, not necessarily the town its in or what state.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
I wouldn't worry too much about not fitting in in the south. Chances are you will fit in just fine in a college environment. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part colleges/universities will offer an environment that accepts people of all walks, even if the city/region they're located in does not.

Since you don't obviously want to be in a certain area, just make your decisions based on the school itself, the quality of the programs of interest, and the cost.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 AM

27,179 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Check out the following universities which have the "Southern" influence, an overall casual/laidback attitude and more moderate belief systems in terms of politics (generally speaking)....

Clemson University
University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee
University of Georgia
University of North Carolina - Greensboro
Virginia Tech University
Middle Tennessee State University
Old Dominion University

Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,049 times
I can see you've picked up a California stereotype. We are not obsessed with the gym and clothes. It's obvious you got this idea from the media, but it's a misconception. This state is huge, how one can say all 40 million of us are materialistic, I have no clue.

If you're for gay marriage, the South isn't really for you.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out the following universities which have the "Southern" influence, an overall casual/laidback attitude and more moderate belief systems in terms of politics (generally speaking)....

Clemson University
University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee
University of Georgia
University of North Carolina - Greensboro
Virginia Tech University
Middle Tennessee State University
Old Dominion University
I went to Clemson...I can say from experience it's not very moderate. Neither are South Carolina or UT from what I've seen/experienced/heard. Georgia is and Athens is a great college town. I enjoyed my time at Clemson a lot, and I will bleed orange til I die...but it's not a moderate college politically haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.