Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:09 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Women with the upper midwest, and Toronto have sexy accents.

Somehow men with the same accent sound like Bob and Doug McKenzie, or some cartoonish character from a Cohen Brothers Movie.

Always loved Long Island and West Virginia Accents.

I like the Spanish accents of Miami/South Florida more than the Spanish accents of southern California.
You find Frances McDormand's accent in Fargo sexy? I don't think it sounds particularly seductive on men or women, more homely, like apple pie lol.

If it doesn't sound ditzy the standard American accent on women can sound sexy.

I like New York and some southern (not too strong) accents. Don't like the really ditzy neo-val accent, Boston isn't the best, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I like some of the southern accents. However, especially as of recently, I've really been liking the New Jersey accent. I like how they talk and how they say the long "ah" sound instead of the "er" or "uhr" sound. Like instead of Car (ca-er), they say "Caah" of "Caa", instead of Door, they say like "Doa", instead of Water, they say "Uodaah".
That's actually more New York City (Staten Island especially) than it is New Jersey. Some from New Jersey definitely have that accent, don't get me wrong, but the more typical NJ accent is tawk (talk), wawk (walk), cawfee (coffee), awf (off), wawter (water), cawl (call), dawg (dog), etc. This can also be heard in other parts of the NYC area outside NJ as well including NYC.

Here is a good overview of the NJ accent (North Jersey, by the way - because South Jersey is different):
How to Talk with a New Jersey Accent

Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I love a man with a Texas accent. Makes me weak in the knees. (Especially one man!)

Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Default Nice Accents

Accents from Louisiana (New Orleans), the Carolinas - very nice. New York accents are interesting and Texas ones sound fun, like J.R's (Dallas) - don't remember if Larry Hagman was born in Texas but he always had a great Texas accent.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Doesn't exist.
Well, the official term for the dialect is known as "African American Vernacular English," which is a form of the general Southern American English.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Anything Southern. Any "fast talkers",NO.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:21 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Boston isn't the best, either.
Don't worry, buddy, I can excuse your poor taste.

In addition to Boston accents I also like the accents I've heard in Baltimore, Rhode Island, the Carolinas, and Georgia. (though there were some people in Georgia, whom I really could not understand, haha ).

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Well, the official term for the dialect is known as "African American Vernacular English," which is a form of the general Southern American English.
AAVE isn't a form of Southern American. They are related, but AAVE is a totally separate dialect, not just an accent. It has its own consistent grammar and syntax and can itself be spoken with multiple accents.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I used to be a corporate trainer and I enjoyed leading training sessions or seminars in states outside the south. I would look out across the room and people would be staring at me in rapt attention. I'd like to think it was the CONTENT of what I was teaching, but unfortunately I know that's not really it, because I'd stop talking and people would say, "KEEP TALKING - WE LOVE HEARING THAT SOUTHERN ACCENT!"

I always got a kick out of that.

I really love North Carolina and Virginia accents as well as some "upper Georgian" and SC accents - very genteel and with just a touch of England in them. Very nice and distinguished sounding in my opinion. I always think I sound like a hick with my "ArkLaTex" accent!

Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Going bias here, I'm not native to New Mexico but I love their accent here!

Deep Fryer - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.